• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Cuts Price of DS

Argyle

Zeo said:
I don't see how Feel the Magic is not worth $30. I got a few weeks of play out of it.

How the hell can you get a few weeks of play out of that gimmicky piece of crap? I bought it at launch and I was done with it in a few hours...too many genuinely good games out there to play on other systems for me to bother with half baked mini games...

(It's too bad the game turned out as it did, I had high hopes because I liked the art style...)

Zeo

Banned
Argyle said:
How the hell can you get a few weeks of play out of that gimmicky piece of crap? I bought it at launch and I was done with it in a few hours...too many genuinely good games out there to play on other systems for me to bother with half baked mini games...

(It's too bad the game turned out as it did, I had high hopes because I liked the art style...)

Because I don't think it was a gimmicky piece of crap? Most all of the games were fun (save a couple lame ones), and it had two more difficulties which I wanted to finish and the Memories mode.

JavyOO7

Nanostray isn't shit.

But IMO it's just plain BAD. Just average. At some instances below average and some instances above-average but nothing more than that.

Totally unfulfilled with the title, but that's just me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What the frack is up with the Nanostray hate now? Is this some kind of backlash against the game gaining a coveteous shine when the shortage scare cropped up?

I guess I must be another 'stupid' person, 'cause I thought it was pretty nice and a lot of fun. But wait, what's that? Oh noes! My game shelf has all the prequisite shooter titles on it, from Gradius V to Thunderforce V and older/more obsucre. Wow, I even think R-Type Delta is better than R-Type Final (wasn't that another supposed sign you're an elite shooter god and not a fuggin' idiot?).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
total ignorance of the genre probably isn't a prerequisite for liking nanostray. but it helps. i think it's a poor game further impoverished by a handful of indefensible design choices, foremost among them the pointlessly draconian scoring system and the tendency of subweapons to obscure bulllets. i find it dull when played casually and intolerable when played seriously. and i doubt whether many of its fans would've given it a second sniff if it wasn't on a nintendo console. and of course i resent that it got more prerelease attention on gaf than, oh, ever other shooter ever, combined. but that's me.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Nanostray definitely has some problems. In some cases the challenge mode actually fixes a few in my opinion. The game is pretty much worthless in arcade mode, or story mode. The scoring, and weapons systems are completely borked so the only way you can have any fun with it is in the challenge mode when you are given various objectives.

Personally I was completely let down but I play a lot of shooters and I would be lying if I said that I'm not having fun with the challenge mode. I'll probably sell it on ebay or something down the line but I have about 10 challenges done so far and I want to complete it.

Music is good too.

MiNiStRy

Metroid prime hunters and mario kart ds just got released yesterday, that alone is a reason to get a ds! I wish now we have to wait until next year now according to dvd boxoffice. I think i'll grab a psp now, knowing that we once again have been shafted by nintendo.

Tarazet

Hey, here's this game you wanted to buy!

*SNATCH*

Oh, look, it's not there anymore! OMG! Here's this thing you don't want to buy! PRICE REDUCED!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MiNiStRy said:
Metroid prime hunters and mario kart ds just got released yesterday, that alone is a reason to get a ds!
I'm trying to wrap my mind around this, but failing...

dark10x said:
I'm trying to wrap my mind around this, but failing...
I'll try.
MiNiStRy 2.0 said:
Metroid Prime Hunters and Mario Kart DS just got released yesterday. That alone is a reason to get a DS!

...I wish.

Now we have to wait until next year, according to DVD Boxoffice. I think I'll grab a PSP now, knowing that once again I have been shafted by Nintendo.

Mode

drohne said:
total ignorance of the genre probably isn't a prerequisite for liking nanostray. but it helps. i think it's a poor game further impoverished by a handful of indefensible design choices, foremost among them the pointlessly draconian scoring system and the tendency of subweapons to obscure bulllets. i find it dull when played casually and intolerable when played seriously. and i doubt whether many of its fans would've given it a second sniff if it wasn't on a nintendo console. and of course i resent that it got more prerelease attention on gaf than, oh, ever other shooter ever, combined. but that's me.

this man speaks the truth. My biggest gripe is the really odd scoring system (the valor part) which is ruined even more when some normal enemies take way too many hits before they die... oh and let's not forget the weapon changing. Maybe worth a rental though.

Memles

I'll be picking one up around Christmas, whether as a gift or perhaps as part of the Boxing Day Sales. Choosing games, by that point, will be damn tough. Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Advance Wars...too many choices for me, that's for sure.

Mario 64
Mr. Driller Euro version
Puyo Pop Fever
Meteos
Kirby Canvas Curse
Bomberman
Yoshi Touch and Go

Those are the DS games I have, and they are all satisfying. I particularly like quick hits of driller, meteos, or yoshi. puyo and bman are good for multi, and mario and kirby are good "longer" type games.

Zeo

Banned
segatavis said:
Price drops like these always baffle me. If I didn't want a DS for $150, why would I want one for $130?

.. You're kidding right? It's a new system and you can't really expect them to drop it to $99.

And I hate to tell you, but $20 isn't exactly spare change for kids/teenagers. That's almost a whole DS game they could buy.

Update on the NDS price drop from tubtub (CAG)

tubtub said:
Update 4 - Alright this should be the last update for this deal. Here is the bundle TRU is doing for the drop. On Sunday you can get a DS + Spiderman + the Starter Kit(normally $15 and includes headphones, car charger, and screen protector) for only $150(normally $175). On Tuesday for Nintendogs its the same deal except substitute any Nintendogs game for Spiderman. Hopefully somewhere else has an even better deal, but for now that might be the best. Normally the DS + Nintendogs would cost $160, so you save $10 off the bat plus you get the Starter Kit free basically and if you have the $10 off coupon it would only be $140 making it that much better.

Top Bottom