• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Edwood said:
Got HDTV?

I'm sure the Wii will look fabulous on your 13" fish bowled tube.

I've got two HDTV sets in my house actually.

Probably will be buying a third one as well, but I'm waiting to see what's coming in the next 2-3 years.

Doesn't change the economics of the game industry though.

Edwood

soundwave05 said:
I've got two HDTV sets in my house actually.

Probably will be buying a third one as well, but I'm waiting to see what's coming in the next 2-3 years.

Doesn't change the economics of the game industry though.

Or your ability to care about video quality.

Edwood said:
Or your ability to care about video quality.

Like I said it's all fucking relative.

Sometimes I'll eat at a upscale restaurant.

Sometimes I'll meet up with friends at a pub/lounge and get a burger and fries.

But I don't sit there eating the burger and fries saying "man ... this just isn't like the upscale restaurant I had the other night".

The game industry will collapse if the only options were a $400 machine and a $500-$600 machine.

Someone has to do what Nintendo is doing.

Shogmaster said:

Maybe but at least they're fucking trying.

Where's Sony?

Their head is so far up their ass that they don't have any perspective.

Even when Nintendo was batshit insane in 1995/96, at least they still acted like a market leader, bringing Super Mario 64, the N64 controller, the Rumble Pak, 4-player gaming, etc. etc. to the forefront.

Sony isn't leading. They're looking at MS and Nintendo rather than setting any kind of agenda themselves other than trying to force feed Blu-Ray to people.

I like Blu-Ray. But I have plenty of PS2-owning buddies who cannot afford that price tag and have no need for that whatsoever.

If Sony is the one driving this market, then this market is in big trouble, because they're not only drunk, but they've fallen asleep at the wheel.

Edwood

soundwave05 said:
Like I said it's all fucking relative.

Sometimes I'll eat at a upscale restaurant.

Sometimes I'll meet up with friends at a pub/lounge and get a burger and fries.

But I don't sit there eating the burger and fries saying "man ... this just isn't like the upscale restaurant I had the other night".

The game industry will collapse if the only options were a $400 machine and a $500-$600 machine.

Someone has to do what Nintendo is doing.

Ya.

I spent too much money on my HDTV's. I only feed them with VHS.

soundwave05 said:
Maybe but at least they're fucking trying.

Where's Sony?

Their head is so far up their ass that they don't have any perspective.

Even when Nintendo was batshit insane in 1995/96, at least they still acted like a market leader, bringing Super Mario 64, the N64 controller, the Rumble Pak, 4-player gaming, etc. etc. to the forefront.

Sony isn't leading. They're looking at MS and Nintendo rather than setting any kind of agenda themselves other than trying to force feed Blu-Ray to people.

I like Blu-Ray. But I have plenty of PS2-owning buddies who cannot afford that price tag and have no need for that whatsoever.

If Sony is the one driving this market, then this market is in big trouble, because they're not only drunk, but they've fallen asleep at the wheel.

Sony? FUCK Sony. Sony can go and suck a dick for all I care.

Edwood

Shogmaster said:
Sony? FUCK Sony. Sony can go and suck a dick for all I care.

Sony can have their Cincinnati Bowtie for all I care.

M$ is going to have a one year headstart.

Nintendo can pick up the leftover craps at the bottom of the barrel and fein innovation in the guise of cost savings.

Edwood said:
Sony can have their Cincinnati Bowtie for all I care.

M$ is going to have a one year headstart.

Nintendo can pick up the leftover craps at the bottom of the barrel and fein innovation in the guise of cost savings.

WOW WHY R U SUCH A H8R?!?! :lol

It also helps to not get your panties in a wad over E3.

Everyone said the XBox was going to be a disater and Halo was a choppy mess at E3 2001.

With the nature of the Wii controller, it probably will take devs a little while to really get their legs underneath it.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Edwood said:
Metroid Corruption is a dumbed down FPS. Please try and say it's a hardcore FPS game with a straight face. The "target locking" feature is THE ONLY WAY TO CIRCLE STRAFE with Metroid Corruption, end of story.
Retro aren't trying to make Metroid the next Counter-Strike you know.... so yeah, it is a "dumbed down FPS" because it's a blending of genres, and not trying to be a hardcore FPS.

Scrow said:
Retro aren't trying to make Metroid the next Counter-Strike you know.... so yeah, it is a "dumbed down FPS" because it's a blending of genres, and not trying to be a hardcore FPS.

OK, let's say I bite on that. Then pray tell, why was Red Steel from Ubisoft (arguably the most prolific console FPS dev/pub of last few years), just as gimped in it's FPS controls as MP3?

Edwood

Scrow said:

The Wii just might be able to handle the original Counterstrike graphics.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Shogmaster said:
OK, let's say I bite on that. Then pray tell, why was Red Steel from Ubisoft (arguably the most prolific console FPS dev/pub of last few years), just as gimped in it's FPS controls as MP3?
i don't know. haven't played Red Steel or MP3. the point i was making is that MP isn't even trying to be what Edwood seemingly wants it to be.

Edwood said:
The Wii just might be able to handle the original Counterstrike graphics.
... okay.

edit: so i just took the time to read a bunch of posts leading up to this point and now I at least know why I'm getting dumbass replies like Edwood's one above. Looks like a fell smack bang into the middle of a shit slinging match :/

Edwood said:
Hmmmm. I should work on that.

My wife might object.

Or she might object that you act like one of those 300 pound uber-nerds who hang out at the front desk of every EB store.

It's just video games. They're supposed to be fun. Stop acting like someone shoved a 3 foot pole up your ass.

Scrow said:
i don't know. haven't played Red Steel or MP3. the point i was making is that MP isn't even trying to be what Edwood seemingly wants it to be.

Which is a good FPS, instead of a FP fight with the cursor adventure.

Sander

I've played over 100 FPS (mostly PC obviously) and I think the original control scheme of Metroid Prime is one of the best parts of the game. Glad to see MP3C still has the lock-on system.

I'm a longtime player of 'hardcore' FPS games but I never expected that 'traditional' style play from MP3 or 'Red Steel' - a game I expect about as much from as I do any FPS coming out of Japan, that is, totally out of touch with current FPS gameplay sensibilities and control mechanics. Personally, neither are showcases for the FPS genre with the Wii, but Shog, Edwood, are you guys saying that a FPS on the Wii wouldn't work with the nunchuck analog for WASD and the revmote as the mouse (cursor locked in the centre, freelook style)?

Assuming a developer would apply such a configuration.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Shogmaster said:
Which is a good FPS, instead of a FP fight with the cursor adventure.
Dude, you're looking for FPS games like all other FPS games and you are unlikely to find exactly that on the Wii. If you want classic FPS games, there are plenty to chose from. It's not like circle strafing is anything found in the real world. It is entirely a child of the control methods used for FPS games so far.

If they can tighten the turning to happen earlier, then I'm sure metroid will play well. Apparently the expert mode already does that.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Dudes you can strafe in the game.
Hold the analoge stick to the left and point your gun slowly to the right side of the screen and you can circle strafe. It's not perfect yet, but I recall doing it, and we have 6 more months of sensativity adjustments before launch too :lol

I never claimed that the game was some kind of mircale advancement for FPSs, but it definetnly felt like a natural progression/improvment over MP1-2. (And you can STILL lockon, if you prefer that). Metroid Prime always claimed to me a FPA (First person adventure), right? Well, it is certainly an advancment in that regard... didn't you enjoy opening doors by using your arm? Flinging shields off the badguys by physically throwing your grappling beam?

It is an improvment on the game forumla, and its a new experience. Standard control yes, it was a bit too slow, and felt a bit dodgey, but Expert increased teh speed and once you got that down, I found it to be enjoyable. It's not like suddenly, if you hated Prime 1-2, you are instantly going to fall in love with this - It is still a METROID NINTENDO GAME, btw - but everyone is entitled to their own opinions - these are only personal impressions after all. And some people just don't like change or thinks that challenge their norm, heh.

Edit:
And this for all the people who were saying that the games at the booth were just 'dumbed down' and 'easy' - Reggie said in the press conference directly that some of the games were going to intentially be easier than they are going to be in the final releases, so everyone can just pick up and experience the controller and not get frustrated (and the demos didn't really start from the beginning of the game, so they had to adjust the learning curve) So if you found something to be too easy, don't think that is indicitive of the overall level of difficulty of any game.

Cosmozone

You're shooting with the A button in MP3? That's strange. The trigger would be predestined for that. Also if the nunchuck is your feet and the remote is your head and upper body, wouldn't the former be more suited for turning around? Your head can't do that unless your name is Linda Blair. Looking around/aiming would be the remote's job. In all cases I want to avoid complete mouse-like controls, cursor right in the middle all the time. I suck at these (as far I remember) and get motion-sick. The point-off method will treat me better I suppose but I haven't tried it.

BTW is the lock-on mechanism in MP games generally considered as dumbed down? I thought it was very nice. It's used in Zelda, too.

Edwood

soundwave05 said:
Or she might object that you act like one of those 300 pound uber-nerds who hang out at the front desk of every EB store.

It's just video games. They're supposed to be fun. Stop acting like someone shoved a 3 foot pole up your ass.

Man, what's up, h8'r?

Just because you couldn't be at E3 and beg for swag with the others like you, eh?

Lock on is essentially a crutch for those who cannot aim. The actual combat was the weakest and most unsatisfying parts of both Prime games. Had it been more traditional FPS style the game would have been more fun as there would have been challenge in the combat.

John Harker

:lol People quote what I say (and did NOT say) in this thread, and then when I address exactly what they said about my earlier posts, they ignore me!

jarosh

Warm Machine said:
Lock on is essentially a crutch for those who cannot aim. The actual combat was the weakest and most unsatisfying parts of both Prime games. Had it been more traditional FPS style the game would have been more fun as there would have been challenge in the combat.
i disagree. i loved the combat in both prime games. it never felt dumbed down or unchallenging and i've played a lot of (pc) FPSes (kb+mouse setup). it was simply a different approach at first person combat. i've been frustrated with dual analog control for a long time - it's a pain in the ass for FPS games - and the lock-on system in prime was a real relief.

Edwood

Hey, but what about Wii-Tennis?

Edwood_WiiTennis_01.gif

John Harker

heh, Wii Tennis and Wii baseball were fantastic fun... but you could litereally just flick your wrist with a deliberate motion and hit a homer or a baseline shot. But I guess it is more fun to exaggerate :)

Edwood said:
Hey, but what about Wii-Tennis?

Edwood_WiiTennis_01.gif

:lol He was inspired after watching my footage of 1up Skip doing his Tennis bit. :D

Would it be bad form for me to upload that? :lol

Playing is believing? More like playing is make believing! :p

Biohazard said:
now where will this go once the 5 min, wow this is cool factor go away?

Dude, he was hamming it up for the camera. Infact, he was pretending that he was me. I lent him my E3 pass for Friday, and in the full clip, he puts the E3 badge right up to the camera couple of times. HE WAS TRYING TO GET ME IN TROBLE!!! BAD EDWOOD, BAD!

Scrow said:

I have to see if I have QT Pro in my other computer still. Gimme an hour or so.

Hero

To all the people talking about FPS controls and the Wii-mote, wouldn't two of the Wii-motes be sufficient?

Dual wield. :p

Hero said:
To all the people talking about FPS controls and the Wii-mote, wouldn't two of the Wii-motes be sufficient?

Dual wield. :p

Then you need two sensor bars (sensor bar will be confused by more than one IR emitter), but the real problem is that there is no reliable mechanism for centering the cursor with the IR/sensor bar. :p

Top Bottom