• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo hired 400+ employees over the last fiscal year.

yurinka

I hope the means creating at least one new major internal studio, and bolstering Retro, Camelot and Monolith Soft to help churn out more content.
They bought a porting studio, so their workers are part of these 400.

The rest of the industry is crashing and collapsing and imploding and here’s Nintendo with record profits adding a whole studio’s worth of people to their work force in a single year.

The rest of the industry in addition to fire also hires people. As an example, after firing around 100 people Bungie hired around 500 more.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

That's actually really good news. That means more support for their existing teams and (hopefully) more games to develop for in the pipeline.

Nintendo out here showing the rest of the industry how it's supposed to be done.

Well seeing as how Nintendo's literally never been more profitable than they are now, they can and they should be hiring while the iron is hot. And they've always been disciplined in that way, they don't overhire during booms and then have to lay off during busts. They're steady as she goes, and then employees always feel secure in their job and do their best work.

Robb

Gold Member
That’s nice, hopefully it’ll results in more games.. Or at the very least being able to keep up the current pace.

Woopah

I hope the means creating at least one new major internal studio, and bolstering Retro, Camelot and Monolith Soft to help churn out more content.
We know MonolithSoft has been expanding but I imagine most new developers will go into the EPD pool in preparation for their new building.

Camelot wouldn't count as they are independent.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
First thing I want to see is their d e i report make sure that they have enough diversity there that's really important. It's also really important to hire all these people to let us know how much better they are than everybody else.

It takes a lot of work to remake the same game six times. Rendering those assets and converting them to a different system I really have to admire that level of work. And really it helps them out and you need even more people to make graphics that are three generations behind. It's no wonder they need to hire people.

They're doing this for us.

Makes a lot of sense considering their increased presence beyond the video game industry. I expect this to continue as they open things like the Nintendo Store in San Francisco, Nintendo World in Universal, and continue to partner with the movie industry to expand their brand.

winjer

Gold Member
Lawyers are prolly an outsourced law firm

You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Games have never taken longer to make than they do now. Nintendo is no exception, especially going into next-gen development.
Except they should be able to do things fas
er because they are usually a generation behind in technology and graphic assets. Which could be a benefit going forward for them. That and relying on hardware for upscaling allows older tools to work in modern gaming.

er because they are usually a generation behind in technology and graphic assets. Which could be a benefit going forward for them. That and relying on hardware for upscaling allows older tools to work in modern gaming.
It's only a generation behind to you, though. The only thing that matters is what they are going from to what they are going to, in their technology and development pipeline. It's a leap for them, so it's a leap. A leap is a leap. 🤷‍♂️

Gambit2483

Well seeing as how Nintendo's literally never been more profitable than they are now, they can and they should be hiring while the iron is hot. And they've always been disciplined in that way, they don't overhire during booms and then have to lay off during busts. They're steady as she goes, and then employees always feel secure in their job and do their best work.
Working for Nintendo is almost like getting a government job. It probably has one of the highest job securities in the industry.

Hudo

Gold Member
But they're a generation ahead when it comes to game design, tho. So it evens out.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It's only a generation behind to you, though. The only thing that matters is what they are going from to what they are going to, in their technology and development pipeline. It's a leap for them, so it's a leap. A leap is a leap. 🤷‍♂️
Not criticizing I’m just stating of all the companies Nintendo is best suited to not have longer development times for most titles. As they don’t usually require massive training on newer engines etc they live in a safer environment with established tools and systems.

It’s one of the reasons we don’t usually get bad ports as it’s not experimentation really more stretching resources

Woopah

Makes a lot of sense considering their increased presence beyond the video game industry. I expect this to continue as they open things like the Nintendo Store in San Francisco, Nintendo World in Universal, and continue to partner with the movie industry to expand their brand.
I can't thing of any new stores opened in the last fiscal year, but this would include all those QA contractors they hired.

TIGERCOOL

They bought a porting studio, so their workers are part of these 400.

The rest of the industry in addition to fire also hires people. As an example, after firing around 100 people Bungie hired around 500 more.
I think there's an interesting point to consider here. Most western companies employed loads of useless eaters during the gaming/tech industry boom for political optics and because of well documented government incentives. These were the tiktokers making their "day in my corporate life" vids where they basically sat around being redundant while enjoying company perks. These positions were mercilessly rooted as soon as the going got tough.

Nintendo (Japan) has never followed these practices, so I'm not surprised that they didn't "trim the fat" like many others.

Variahunter

I think it's not about technology for Nintendo. They've reached a point where the more advanced technology will be used to render their artstyle with higher resolution and frame rates, for most of their titles, or help rendering more objects, better LOD, and much post processing i.e. much better lighting, shadows etc...
Those things do not take a longer time to produce, in fact they are just easier (global illumination for exemple, instead of manually placing each source of light), considering they have only one console to care about and not a myriad of configuration.
Of course, we'll see improvements like on the textures etc... but overall, when I look at Mario Odyssey, I don't really think it needs a lot more to shine on textures and geometry of assets.

So what I'm saying is, for most of their titles, the artstyle will allow them to not escalate the cost of production, while still seeing improvements on graphics like post processing, frame rate, resolution. Excluding titles like Metroid, maybe Zelda depending on the artstyle, Xenoblade...

There is not a lot of expectations on graphics for Nintendo, game design is what the people are looking for when buying a Nintendo product nowadays and I suspect that Nintendo won't push their graphics that much in order to not create high expectations for their futures titles on that department, even if their console could do it.

Scotty W

Banned
I went to Nintendo HQ in January, and they STILL have not started construction on their new building.

I’d uploads photo if I could, but this site rejects most uploads.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Working for Nintendo is almost like getting a government job. It probably has one of the highest job securities in the industry.
This is the aspect that people seem to be ignoring in this thread. The developers hired at Nintendo are often life-timers. Plenty of other companies have much higher hiring numbers, but that’s usually because they have so much more turnover and layoffs.

Nintendo has a working formula, and it’s fucking insane to me that most other companies don’t try to emulate that.

Hudo

Gold Member
This is the aspect that people seem to be ignoring in this thread. The developers hired at Nintendo are often life-timers. Plenty of other companies have much higher hiring numbers, but that’s usually because they have so much more turnover and layoffs.

Nintendo has a working formula, and it’s fucking insane to me that most other companies don’t try to emulate that.
What also comes with having employees work for a long-ass time at a company is institutional knowledge and the transfer (to new employees) thereof. This is, by far, the most valuable resource a company has.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Probably a legal team, after all they make just a few games, so they have to go against small coders fans and bully them

Top Bottom