• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo hired 400+ employees over the last fiscal year.

yurinka

I think there's an interesting point to consider here. Most western companies employed loads of useless eaters during the gaming/tech industry boom for political optics and because of well documented government incentives. These were the tiktokers making their "day in my corporate life" vids where they basically sat around being redundant while enjoying company perks. These positions were mercilessly rooted as soon as the going got tough.

Nintendo (Japan) has never followed these practices, so I'm not surprised that they didn't "trim the fat" like many others.
The difference between Nintendo and the others is that the other ones grew a lot during the last few years via hirings or acquisitions, so now some time later, specially when seeing that the market kept flat for a couple years, instead of growing as always did, they had some fat to cut. There was also a period where everybody moved to work in remote and did hiring of people working far away. But not several studios moved back to work full time in the office and some people don't want to move, so may end fired.

Having cut that fat, mostly from redundant places, they can continue growing.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
you mean a group of obedient asian employees with "basic" wages that dont fight back.

Kokoloko85

I hope the means creating at least one new major internal studio, and bolstering Retro, Camelot and Monolith Soft to help churn out more content.
Nintendo making Camelot constantly make Mario Golf is a video gaming tragedy lol

Last edited:

IAmRei

That's actually really good news. That means more support for their existing teams and (hopefully) more games to develop for in the pipeline.

Nintendo out here showing the rest of the industry how it's supposed to be done.
unfortunately people above Your comments are people who butthurt with Nintendo current situation, which is better than almost anything else in the industry right now.

Nintendo is not normal. It's unicorn with people successfully making games for 30+ years. Pure art. Love them all those years and even more as I grew older.

People in Japan are generally better when it comes to job security. I walked here now for 15 years and in Japan it is really hard to fire someone, unless he really has screwed up big times. They cannot even easily layoff people if they think they are of no value anymore, some companies have instead boredom rooms, where they relocate the staff with no real work and just hope they would quit by themselves.
Sure also not an ideal situation, but at least the people have all the time in the world to look for other work.

It not in other countries where they can fire people at will, just to increase the profit of the shareholders…

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
How many of these were actually hired in Japan?

Why does this matter? Because Japanese Labor Laws prevents Nintendo from laying off people when the tough gets going so every single lay off they had had always been from western studios and branches so these aren't technically permanent employees if they weren't hired in Japan and they can become lay off fodder in the future.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

The rest of the industry is crashing and collapsing and imploding and here’s Nintendo with record profits adding a whole studio’s worth of people to their work force in a single year.

They basically said Fuck The Industry, years ago!
Always marched to the beat of their own bongos(lol)
While they piss me off sometimes, I am still looking forward to a Switch 2, before a PS6.

Jsisto

I fully expect the Switch 2 to usher in a level of Nintendo dominance we’ve never seen before. Everything seems to just be lining up perfectly for them. This level of success has been decades in the making for them.

Last edited:

Woopah

How many of these were actually hired in Japan?

Why does this matter? Because Japanese Labor Laws prevents Nintendo from laying off people when the tough gets going so every single lay off they had had always been from western studios and branches so these aren't technically permanent employees if they weren't hired in Japan and they can become lay off fodder in the future.
While it is difficult, the closure of Tango Gameworks shows it isnt impossible.

In recent years, Nintendo layoffs have mostly been in marketing or localisation rather than development. I think most new employees will be from Japan, but this number will also include all the QA contractors in the US who became employees.

Impotaku

Lmfao why are people so quick to try and be so dismissive of this?

The salt is palpable.

Anyways. Nintendo keeps on winning.
Because they are in cope mode, it’s always been strongly anti Nintendo on here it comes with the territory. They are upset because Nintendo is kicking next gens ass with a last gen low power console, whatever thread you go in you’ll see the same retarded posts. Hurrdurr $60 for roms, nothing but rehashes, kiddy baby games.

The fact they are close to releasing something that won’t struggle as much with more demanding game ports and they are upping their workforce so they aren’t stretched as thin is worry for them lol.

Hudo

Gold Member
Because they are in cope mode, it’s always been strongly anti Nintendo on here it comes with the territory. They are upset because Nintendo is kicking next gens ass with a last gen low power console, whatever thread you go in you’ll see the same retarded posts. Hurrdurr $60 for roms, nothing but rehashes, kiddy baby games.

The fact they are close to releasing something that won’t struggle as much with more demanding game ports and they are upping their workforce so they aren’t stretched as thin is worry for them lol.
The best comments are by retards calling TotK "DLC". If that game is a DLC, then God of War: Ragnarok is a microtransaction.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
it's for the remasters they're making, another 15 in the next couple of years
While this is an utterly absurd and moronic take, I think all of Nintendo's pre switch 3D games should get remakes or remasters so they run at a Switch 2 level so my kids can play a more accessible version and I can easily replay something I haven't played in 15-30 years. Doing this is a good thing for gaming and a good way to make money reusing old games. Same goes for any classic game from the 90s-early 2010s. Update them to current standards and make them easy for anyone to play going forward.

Impotaku

While this is an utterly absurd and moronic take, I think all of Nintendo's pre switch 3D games should get remakes or remasters so they run at a Switch 2 level so my kids can play a more accessible version and I can easily replay something I haven't played in 15-30 years. Doing this is a good thing for gaming and a good way to make money reusing old games. Same goes for any classic game from the 90s-early 2010s. Update them to current standards and make them easy for anyone to play going forward.
This is the thing, Nintendo stuff tends to age really well kids today are kind of done over in general as there’s a mountain of past releases from way before they existed that when spruced up and re-released hold up really well and give the original gamers a chance to revisit it with a newer look and younger gamers a chance to play without having to resort to getting price gouged on the retro market. Paper Mario is a good example, even 20+ years later it still holds up and is selling pretty well. Hell it instantly booted stellar blade out of 1st place in japan in the sales charts on its release, not bad for an old gc game. Remasters/remakes are good to fill in the gaps between other releases. I’m glad they raided the wiiu library to give them a proper chance to shine instead of dying in obscurity on a failed system.

Top Bottom