• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is going after creations in Dreams related to their franchises (Arcadia, GET YOUR ASS ITT NOW!!!)

-Arcadia-

Banned
He’s confident. Now.

In 24 hours, we will see a defeated and broken man beg for forgiveness. : P

Would prefer Nintendo leave free fan games alone. Don’t know what’s specifically going on here, but they come off way too aggressive in general. That said, it is their property, and they’re within their rights, but that’s how I perceive it.

He’s confident. Now.

In 24 hours, we will see a defeated and broken man beg for forgiveness. : P

Would prefer Nintendo leave free fan games alone. Don’t know what’s specifically going on here, but they come off way too aggressive in general. That said, it is their property, and they’re within their rights, but that’s how I perceive it.
I blame the female gamers of Nintendo for that.
images_easyblog_articles_7395_b2ap3_large_8-Misconceptions-About-Gamer-Girls-Debunked-by-a-Singaporean-Female-Gamer-_20190111-025507_1.jpg

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Wario dying in a car accident and Mario's head causing 9/11 put these on borrowed time until someone at Nintendo filed a takedown. They're still funny though.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Sound about right, Mario is copyrighted, nobody should use it besides the owner.

There will always be fan stuff on the internet but just enough to not mess with Nintendo's business.

stickkidsam

Maybe or maybe not, but it sure isn't a stronger argument than what I stated.
Touché.

I'd only say that this isn't an issue of should you use the copyrighted property, but rather an issue of if you're allowed to. It may be splitting hairs buy I think it's important to establish what is being argued, because if we want to just state the facts then yeah, Nintendo gets to do whatever they want if they hold the copyright.

My question would be whether or not this falls under fair use, but considering how often Nintendo takes down free fan made content, it would appear to be no.

Diddy X

Touché.

I'd only say that this isn't an issue of should you use the copyrighted property, but rather an issue of if you're allowed to. It may be splitting hairs buy I think it's important to establish what is being argued, because if we want to just state the facts then yeah, Nintendo gets to do whatever they want if they hold the copyright.

My question would be whether or not this falls under fair use, but considering how often Nintendo takes down free fan made content, it would appear to be no.

Mario fan stuff is everywhere, it's the most popular videogame character, Nintendo probably bothers taking down only the ones they consider can harm the brand or their business strategy.

Psykodad

Banned
I mean, Sony doesn't profit off of fan-made levels in their game but... 🤷‍♂️
Technically, Sony doesn't profit off of any creation, unless their own IPs are being used.

Anyway, not surprised to see Nintendo being their usual self.
Talk about being pro-consumer..

Gargus

Banned
Of course.

Nintendo is a company of no ideas. All they do is ride their own coat tails with the same old franchises and re releases over and over and over again. It's all they have. And they wont let anyone dilute their already watered down library.

Having Nintendo related content in their game makes it more appealing and could lead to sales.
It really doesn't. The ability to make whatever you want makes it more appealing. Which Nintendo seems to want to put a stop to. Which means everyone else will likely try to get involved now that precedent is set.

JOY!

stickkidsam

Mario fan stuff is everywhere, it's the most popular videogame character, Nintendo probably bothers taking down only the ones they consider can harm the brand or their business strategy.
That's kind of my point though. It's not about what they don't target as much as what they do target and what they target is most anything with unique quality or potential. Nobody cares if Nintendo doesn't do anything about little Jimmy's Super Mario World tribute in Minecraft because those are a dime a dozen (that's not to bash little Jimmy though; good on ya buddy). You can make fan art until you're pencil snaps and your crippled from cramps. Nintendo will let ya have at it.

Yet when someone makes a game that is or could be on par with some of Nintendo's own works, for free, they will strike it down faster than Peach bakes a cake. It's so lame that such a massively successful company is afraid of its own fans "damaging" their brand, as if people aren't going to buy anything Nintendo puts out by the truck load! I mean damn have you seen Pokemon!? It just released its first "real" console entry and it looked like some college students pet project, yet that game still made a shitzillion dollars!

It's just so pathetic.

ManaByte

Yea Nintendo doesn’t mess around when it comes to Mario. Just ask the hooker they had working for them who called herself Maria while turning tricks.

Top Bottom