• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2: Is GameCube replacing Wii U?

Is GameCube Remaster replacing Wii U ports on next gen?

• Yes

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With all these rumors about Nintendo next gen system. We will call it Switch 2 for now. And with all these rumors of GameCube ports, could it be the GameCube Remakes/Remasters replace a Wii U “Deluxe” ports on the next hardware to fill in release gaps between new titles?

Essentially, could Nintendo be pivoting to have GameCube or Wii HD versions fill in the release schedule annually as Wii U did for Switch? Nintendo Trying to eliminate the dreaded “nintendroughts” Of generations past?

Is this why we hear about rumored Fzero, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 2-3, etc.

By the way, it is fine with me. GameCube were some Of the best games by Era of Nintendo. …Just an observation though…

RAIDEN1

Had it not been for the Dolphin clampdown (amongst others) I could have been finally checking out the Cube era titles I missed out on....so now its about getting the cube to work again after years of hibernation, and getting a decent quality display for modern TVs so that I can check Lugi's Mansion, Wave Race, Simpson's hit and run....its on my pending list..

Shut0wen

Still some Wii U ports left that could really use a second shot at an audience. Woolly World, Xenoblade X, Wind Waker HD. But I'm definitely glad to see some GCN remasters coming, I would kill for TTYD.
Extremely surprised xenoblade x wasnt the forst game ported, from what ive heard though i think its incredibly hard for them to port it and instead would need a full remake polish like the first chronicles

RAIDEN1

Is this another sign that more Gamecube titles are coming back?
Wouldn't go that far, let's not forget there is still no straight-forward way to play F-Zero. the Gamecube's Wave Race, let alone the last great Simpson's game which has not been bettered to this day.....it would be a miracle if we got the cube's whole catalogue back...

Wouldn't go that far, let's not forget there is still no straight-forward way to play F-Zero. the Gamecube's Wave Race, let alone the last great Simpson's game which has not been bettered to this day.....it would be a miracle if we got the cube's whole catalogue back...
I was referring to the rumors about Fzero, TTYD, and MP2-3, etc. Few other rumors about old soul caliber, etc

Extremely surprised xenoblade x wasnt the forst game ported, from what ive heard though i think its incredibly hard for them to port it and instead would need a full remake polish like the first chronicles
I’ve always assumed it just needed more time to pass before Nintendo decides it’s worth a second shot. Definitely a lot of work, but it would sell so well with a few tweaks and changes, and being on a more popular system. It was a late stage Wii U game with poor loading times, when Nintendo had basically already abandoned the platform.

Woopah

The Wii U was a situation where they had a lot of appealing software tied to a very unappealing hardware. Thos won't be the case with Switch 2 so don't expect many ports.

Having said that, Nintendo will use old content to enable a continuous release of games. But they'll be on Switch 2 as well as Switch 1.

Expect to see F Zero this year, as well as remakes and remasters from almost all systems.

The Wii U was a situation where they had a lot of appealing software tied to a very unappealing hardware. Thos won't be the case with Switch 2 so don't expect many ports.

Having said that, Nintendo will use old content to enable a continuous release of games. But they'll be on Switch 2 as well as Switch 1.

Expect to see F Zero this year, as well as remakes and remasters from almost all systems.
It also didn’t have any good games until Pikmin came out the following August, because another 2D Mario just 3 months after NSMB2 had just come out. So that and Nintendoland were very weak as launch titles.

And it just took so long for the quality software to start coming out, that by the time some of their better games like Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon came out, it was just way too little, way too late.

Having strong momentum is the most important thing for any new console, and it just had zero momentum for like nine months after launch, and it basically just killed it from the start.

Last edited:

Aldric

With all these rumors about Nintendo next gen system. We will call it Switch 2 for now. And with all these rumors of GameCube ports, could it be the GameCube Remakes/Remasters replace a Wii U “Deluxe” ports on the next hardware to fill in release gaps between new titles?

Essentially, could Nintendo be pivoting to have GameCube or Wii HD versions fill in the release schedule annually as Wii U did for Switch? Nintendo Trying to eliminate the dreaded “nintendroughts” Of generations past?

Is this why we hear about rumored Fzero, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 2-3, etc.

By the way, it is fine with me. GameCube were some Of the best games by Era of Nintendo. …Just an observation though…
Yeah Gamecube ports seem to be their new release schedule filler. I'd say 3DS games as well since they've already ported Miitopia and there are some rumors about a Kid Icarus Uprising remaster floating around.

Woopah

It also didn’t have any good games until Pikmin came out the following August, because another 2D Mario just 3 months after NSMB2 had just come out. So that and Nintendoland were very weak as launch titles.

And it just took so long for the quality software to start coming out, that by the time some of their better games like Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon came out, it was just way too little, way too late.

Having strong momentum is the most important thing for any new console, and it just had zero momentum for like nine months after launch, and it basically just killed it from the start.
Precisely, Nintendo were not capable of supporting the 3DS and the Wii U at the same time. This will not be a problem going forward.

Now that Nintendo is focused on one platform, has invested in expansion, and got through Covid, they have been publishing games very regularly. It's been continuous since Sunmer 2021.

I don't expect that to stop anytime soon.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
There are plenty of bangers on GC I’d love to see remakes of. As long as they’re not just upscale GC games I wouldn’t mind.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
If you play the originals and don’t like remasters this is bad news great news for remaster fans.
Why is it bad news if you have the originals and play them? Do you mean it is bad for people that want Nintendo to emulate GC games like Mario Sunshine instead of updating them?

Fbh

Switch will replace WiiU.

Even if the new console is backwards compatible I doubt it will do more than just play Switch games with their original settings.
BOTW on Switch 2 might solve the frame drops with it will still top out at 30fps and 900p. If you want to play it at 1080p+ and 60fps you'll have to buy the remaster for $60.
Best case scenario they might offer a $40-50 upgrade path if you own the original.

Precisely, Nintendo were not capable of supporting the 3DS and the Wii U at the same time. This will not be a problem going forward.

Now that Nintendo is focused on one platform, has invested in expansion, and got through Covid, they have been publishing games very regularly. It's been continuous since Sunmer 2021.

I don't expect that to stop anytime soon.
Agreed on all points. And even though they are transitioning to new hardware at some point, I think it’s going to be easier for them to convert software over rather than porting every game from scratch each time. I think they have finally gotten to a point there they are able to achieve always having a solid pipeline of games that are ready to come out, rather than having to deal with dry spells where nothing is ready yet.

Last edited:

Woopah

Agreed on all points. And even though they are transitioning to new hardware at some point, I think it’s going to be easier for them to convert software over rather than porting every game from scratch each time. I think they have finally gotten to a point there they are able to achieve always having a solid pipeline of games that are ready to come out, rather than having to deal with dry spells where nothing is ready yet.
Definitely, I'd expect there to be a period of cross gen releases between Switch and Switch 2.

Nautilus

Banned
Wii U ports had two purposes:

1) To give a second chance in life to those titles trapped in one of the worst selling platform to date

2) To easily fill Switch gaps without too much effort, with high quality and with a relatively modern game.

Gamecube remasters/remake won't have the advantage of the second point, so I don't see it. Nintendo will still remaster/remake stuff, but it won't be to strictly fill gaps, and it won't be able to churn them at the same pace as the Wii U ones, which basically didn't need any touch up.

blacktout

I think OP is half right. We're going to get a flood of GameCube, Wii, and 3DS remasters over the course of the next two years, but they won't be used to fill out the Switch 2 library, instead they will allow Nintendo to release "new" games on the OG Switch during the transition to its successor.

Remember, the Switch has a massive install base and Nintendo will want to keep supporting it for as long as possible, but they're going to want to shift development resources to its successor. Throwing a bunch of ports and remasters at the system is probably the simplest solution. They took a similar approach to the 3DS after the Switch launched.

DKPOWPOW

I think OP is half right. We're going to get a flood of GameCube, Wii, and 3DS remasters over the course of the next two years, but they won't be used to fill out the Switch 2 library, instead they will allow Nintendo to release "new" games on the OG Switch during the transition to its successor.

Remember, the Switch has a massive install base and Nintendo will want to keep supporting it for as long as possible, but they're going to want to shift development resources to its successor. Throwing a bunch of ports and remasters at the system is probably the simplest solution. They took a similar approach to the 3DS after the Switch launched.
This.

It makes more sense to put these games on Switch and fill in the end of the console’s life. They can always patch an update for Switch 2. GameCube has a treasure trove of games, but a lot of them didn’t exactly light up the charts. They are not gonna all of a sudden make Switch 2 a success. But they can make Nintendo a bunch of money and fund the development of future games in those series if they are successful.

I do think there are a handful of games on the GameCube/N64 that have the potential to get the more serious remake treatment for the Switch 2.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

This game is begging to be brought to life again with some really nice visuals. It would automatically generate a lot of hype.

Eternal Darkness

They have kept this IP for a reason, they know it’s a cult hit. But I think much like with Dread, it’s been difficult to find the right developer, and I have a feeling maybe they found one recently. To me it’s 50/50 whether they remake this one or just remaster it.

Star Fox: Assault

Of all the Star Fox games, this was the one that really just needed that Nintendo polish to be great. With their close relationship with Namco this just seems like a good idea.

Metal Gear: Twin Snakes

With all the rumors and hype regarding a remake of a game in this series, I think Nintendo would take notice and talk to Konami about this one. Another 50/50 on whether it’s a remaster or a remake.

And then there’s series I think they will just reboot again like Wave Race and
Excite!

Had it not been for the Dolphin clampdown (amongst others) I could have been finally checking out the Cube era titles I missed out on....so now its about getting the cube to work again after years of hibernation, and getting a decent quality display for modern TVs so that I can check Lugi's Mansion, Wave Race, Simpson's hit and run....its on my pending list..
What clampdown? I got Dolphin installed on my steam deck no problem. Got some Windwaker, Simpsons h&R, and Fire Emblem path of Radiance on there. All working fine.

Now I would love these games on the switch, but they aren't there and there is no way to play them without forking over a ton in the used/collectors market.
The prices there are insane. Fire emblem used alone is like $180 min.. My wife still has her wii setup, and has gc controllers, so I could play it there, but nah I will do like i have been, until something official happens. Won't help for 3rd party titles like Simpsons though. I doubt we will ever get a remake of that classic.

This is the correct answer. We are already getting that. Even third parties. Atlus is re-releasing 3ds Eterian odyssey games (at a steep $80 for bundle, should of been 1 $60 game, greedy much)... Not to mention the slew of ps360 era remakes and even pc rpgs like Risen. This will continue and I am ok with that. What is sad is I have those EO games and a working fire-emblem new 3ds XL, and yet I still want the games on switch. What is wrong with me?

What I would love though is more obscure titles, and older games like the fire emblems and games like The Dark Spire, and other DS era games. Although it will be kinda hard getting games that use a stylus on to the switch. I am thinking games like under the knife need percision, and that won't work with finger touch.

GMCamaro

Why would Nintendo release a new system? They have the install base in the millions, everyone is familiar with the Switch, and the graphics are still passable for Nintendo’s tastes.

Releasing a new console now would be a bad decision in my opinion. They learned from the Wii U and are in no rush to push out new hardware. They’ll drip feed users with a few GameCube titles here and there to keep people talking, but in my opinion don’t expect a new console generation from them soon. At least not until the Switch is so decrepit that it loses third party support in a big way.

Why would Nintendo release a new system? They have the install base in the millions, everyone is familiar with the Switch, and the graphics are still passable for Nintendo’s tastes.

Releasing a new console now would be a bad decision in my opinion. They learned from the Wii U and are in no rush to push out new hardware. They’ll drip feed users with a few GameCube titles here and there to keep people talking, but in my opinion don’t expect a new console generation from them soon. At least not until the Switch is so decrepit that it loses third party support in a big way.
IMO, again just my opinion. But this is not the way to view it. Nintendo will strike why the iron is hot. So to speak. To keep people in the Nintendo brand And ecosystem. Most major 3rd party support has already left Switch or was never present to begin with. If Switch Pro would have released, I would absolutely agree with your line of thinking.

Where is Madden, COD, even some rumored or even rated older titles…Batman Arkham, or Borderlands 3. Again, I believe if there was a mythical Switch Pro, it never materialized. These titles were either canceled (Switch Pro) or transferred to the next system. Which I believe could release anytime between this August and early 2025. Investor meeting is coming in a little over a week. Some of the questions will absolutely be about next gen during the Q&A. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Also…while I don’t trust these people, people who have leaked things in the past (correctly), are saying Nintendo will indeed talk about Next Gen this year.

RAIDEN1

What clampdown? I got Dolphin installed on my steam deck no problem. Got some Windwaker, Simpsons h&R, and Fire Emblem path of Radiance on there. All working fine.

Now I would love these games on the switch, but they aren't there and there is no way to play them without forking over a ton in the used/collectors market.
The prices there are insane. Fire emblem used alone is like $180 min.. My wife still has her wii setup, and has gc controllers, so I could play it there, but nah I will do like i have been, until something official happens. Won't help for 3rd party titles like Simpsons though. I doubt we will ever get a remake of that classic.
Microsoft's clampdown on getting the app for the Xbox Series X/S....I don't have Steam deck or a powerful PC as an alternative, so for me the only alternative is to dig out the old Gamecube and see if there is any life left in it....

Banned
Microsoft banning the use of the Gamecube emulator on their consoles...(unless you are in developer mode on the console in which case they can't do anything about it..)

a workaround was apparently found... emulators could be back up and running in a few weeks

Woopah

Because Switch hardware and software have now peaked. That means Nintendo's profits will continue declining until the Switch 2 comes out, and that's not something Nintendo will want to wait too long for.

Last edited:

Banned
So you're saying that emulation via retail mode could be back on the horizon?

apparently yes. it seems like they found a way to make it Impossible for the apps to be deactivated by Microsoft if you have them installed.
still in testing phase it seems, but sounds promising

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

At one point in time I did have the app installed but it failed to launch any of the games on the USB even though it recognised the files...I'll keep an eye on discord then somewhat to see if there is any-news there..

tkscz

A big part of the Switch's appeal is playing new games on a handheld. They are getting fewer and fewer third party games due to the hardware being too old.

Not only that but nVidia is getting close to discontinuing Tegra X2 board production so they're getting down to the last of their stock.

Because Switch hardware and software have now peaked. That means Nintendo's profits will continue declining until the Switch 2 comes out, and that's not something Nintendo will want to wait too long for.
I agree 100%. It is also worth noting that there are certain 3rd party titles Nintendo needs on their hardware. If these games can no longer run, they would be bad for Nintendo.

Games like Fortnite, Minecraft and EA FC (Fifa) come to mind immediately. I also think Nintendo will want a Madden and COD, and SFVI, next Monster Hunter, on Nintendo as well.

Top Bottom