• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo + Systems and Games = George Lucas + Star Wars?

Nintendo and their games remind me of George Lucas and Star Wars.
And before someone else says it: At least George Lucas pushes cutting edge technology.

I'm not talking about technology. I'm talking about the decisions we hate.

Nintendo's games and the Star Wars films have a similarly devout fanbase. They are passionate about the things they love. I know it won't work out this way, but I'd like to think that if people could understand this one simple thing... maybe they'd either put up or shut up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Lucas CREATED Star Wars. He OWNS Star Wars. HE is in control. If he wants to throw a floppy eared Gungan on screen in every shot and have him wobble about the screen speaking pidgin English? That's his call. If he decides C3P0 can do awful visual comedy in the middle of what would otherwise be intense action scenes? Sorry, but you can consider it done. If he decides R2D2 can fly? Again.. it's a done deal. They're not your movies, they're his. If you don't like it? Don't give him your money and hope to god they aren't incredibly successful :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo CREATE Nintendo games. They OWN those properties. THEY are in control. They make the consoles that play them. If Nintendo want to stick with carts because of the load-time benefits? That's their call. If they want to go with proprietary optical media to prevent piracy? That's their call. If they don't want to give you online games until it makes sense for them to do so? There's nothing you can really do. Their third party support could be better? Wadda ya gonna do? These are Nintendo's choices, Nintendo's supposed vices. But make no mistake - this is Nintendo. If you don't like it, you'll have to stop buying their products and hope they go third party. And if that doesn't happen because the rest of us ARE happy and do keep buying? That's tough. Time to become a Sony/MS fan okay?

If you don't like what Nintendo do? Don't give them your money.

Those of you who moan about Nintendo every day... do you consider yourselves Nintendo fans? And if so, ask yourself, is that really the case? Or do you just like Mario/Zelda games or something? If the only game you like is Zelda: are you a Nintendo fan or what? Are the games you like worth the price of admission?

If you really do still like Nintendo products, and are feeling more than a little bit pissed off about this HD decision - I can only offer this piece of advice. Wait to see what their new products are like before you knock them. We've seen what PS3 can supposedly do. What Xbox 360 does. We know so very little about Revolution. We don't know how it controls, who is on board, or whats going to come out for it. You'd think those would be the important things. If standard resolution is that much of a bother for you - be constructive.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

Write to Nintendo or people who can do something about it. Anyone who's being honest with you will probably tell you the chances aren't very good for making a difference, but isn't that a lot better than constantly moaning? Wouldn't you rather post about things you ARE enthusiastic about? If people thought Nintendo was so fucking dumb, there'd be more PSP, PS3 and Xbox 360 threads.

I personally don't give a shit about HD. I don't even know if my Plasma is capable of it. None of the games/systems I have had this generation even seem to be outputting progressive scan (I'm serious, PAL ports suck). It's not like I'd be able to play on that TV all the time anyway. There are 5 people in my house, and they like to watch DVDs or television once in a while... so I'd be playing on one of the upstairs CRTs anyway. Not to mention I only own a small stake in the actual purchase of that TV set. This is the reality of having a menial job in the UK. I don't have the kind of disposable income to get my own HDTV. There are more important things in life.

And I know I'll be buying Revolution, because I really love Nintendo games. I know it's going to be affordable, and I'm glad it's not just another PS3/360. If it has a truly new interface, maybe the games on it will be truly different. I'd welcome that.

Sorry if you're saying to yourself YANT (yet another nintendo thread). It's just that all the Nintendo fans being so negative in the HD thread just had me thinking on this.
Poor gahiggidy. From a potential holographic wonder console to a potential 480i as standard :lol

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Stupid idea for a thread. Please delete it.

Cheer_up_ani.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Seriously, radiohead, this is the worst thread you have ever made and actually feels borderline psychotic at points.

Juice

Apple makes their own computers/software and Mac fans are at their disposal too.

The Wachowski Brothers made the Matrix series and its fans were ... well, sodomized intellectually.

This thread was either created out of uninspired creative thought or a weak attempt to keep trolling Nintendo over the HD news.

Amir0x

Banned
Juice said:
This thread was either created out of uninspired creative thought or a weak attempt to keep trolling Nintendo over the HD news.

No, this is radioheadrule83. He is deadly serious.

[<3 <3 rhr83]

Amir0x

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Yeah :lol having read it back, it's like my mind is talking to itself :s

Nah, I know what you're saying. I know that stream-of-consciousness thought. Sometimes it isn't always conveyed as well as it could be.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
El_Victor said:
Once I also made a crappy thread. It was interesting. I killed myself. Now I am back.
*kills you*

And now you're gone again. :)

Bob White

Damn, Nintendo fans need to do constant damage control. But for what fucking reasons?

DS is doing fine and has great games.
Rev is looking like a very, very sick machine with smash bros online and with it's super BC.

Lucas sucks. Nintendo rocks......but they still suck. ONE CONSOLE FURTURE!

Tellaerin

I don't think uncritical support of anything is in the best interest of consumers or manufacturers. Yes, the bottom line is that Nintendo's calling the shots. That doesn't mean you have to agree unquestioningly with everything they do in order to be considered a true Nintendo fan. Publicly questioning their decisions might disqualify you from the ranks of the Nintendo fanboys, but that's probably not a bad thing.

Lucas' movies are his creations, but they're intended for us, the movie-going public. If he had meant them to be nothing more than a personal vanity project, then he shouldn't've released them to the public at all. If he's asking people to pay to see his films, then he's knowingly inviting the burdens of audience expectations and criticism. In releasing his work to the public, he's waiving the right to say, 'If you don't like it, shut up.'

Nintendo's in a similar position. They're producing entertainment products for public consumption. The gaming public expects certain things of Nintendo's products, and can be critical of their decisions, particularly when they feel those expectations aren't being met. Whether or not they respond to those expectations and criticisms is Nintendo's prerogative (though they ignore them at their own risk), but that doesn't mean that people should either lap up everything Nintendo does or shut up and go away. People should be telling their entertainment providers what they do and don't want. And it might be in those companies' best interests to respond to the public's stated desires first, rather than ignoring them to pursue oddball alternative markets or second-guessing them ('You don't want better graphics! What you really want is to play games with two screens and a pen! We're going to give you what we think you want, because we know you better than you know yourselves!' :p )

Amir0x

Banned
LittleTokyo said:
Same here, but I'm happy with my plain old TV. Display doesn't make the game funner.

The difference in fun between a 13 inch television and a 63 inch television can be measured in orders of magnitude :)lol). Seriously, there's just nothing quite like it (seperating out the portable sector, naturally). Putting aside, of course, HD resolutions which is also awe-inspiring the first time you're on a decent sized one with a true HD output.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Monk said:
I am one of these poor fools without a HD tv and not looking to by another tv in 5 years.... :(
Except for the fact that not owning an HDTV doesn't make you a "poor fool."

Amir0x said:
The difference in fun between a 13 inch television and a 63 inch television can be measured in orders of magnitude :)lol). Seriously, there's just nothing quite like it (seperating out the portable sector, naturally). Putting aside, of course, HD resolutions which is also awe-inspiring the first time you're on a decent sized one with a true HD output.

I'm happy with my 27 inch display. It works fine, and my dorm room is about as big as an average persons closet, so anything bigger would be too big. Plus, I can spend the money that could go toward an HD display on buying more games for my consoles. I'm not against HD displays... hell, they're long overdo as the norm in the living room. But at least in my area, no one I know has one.

I have no worries though, college ends next year, then I can hopefully get a good job and satisfy my tech needs. Until then though, I'm happy with what I have.

Amir0x

Banned
LittleTokyo said:
I'm happy with my 27 inch display. It works fine, and my dorm room is about as big as an average persons closet, so anything bigger would be too big. Plus, I can spend the money that could go toward an HD display on buying more games for my consoles. I'm not against HD displays... hell, they're long overdo as the norm in the living room. But at least in my area, no one I know has one.

I have no worries though, college ends next year, then I can hopefully get a good job and satisfy my tech needs. Until then though, I'm happy with what I have.

I know you're happy with it, of course. I'm just saying that bigger does increase entertainment value, believe me. The first time I played 4 multiplayer on my ol' 63 inch tv I was like floored by the space each of us had ;)

ziran

i think the reason there's so much nintendo anger/hate/annoyance [whatever you want to call it], is because regardless of the decisions they make as hardware manufacturers they continue to create some of the best damn games on the planet, and this frustrates people. if those venting nintendo anger didn't like nintendo games, they wouldn't care what nintendo did because it wouldn't affect them.

to make matters worse there is the possibility/probabilty that nintendo, the games developer, has actually got its sh*t together for revolution. meaning it will be delivering metroid prime, twilight princess quality games for the hardcore, nintendogs, warioware twisted quality games for everyone [and to attract new gamers], AND new franchises!

it's easy for gamers to criticise nintendo and make derisory remarks when they make luigi's mansion, waverace bs, mario sunshine and wind waker, but much harder to do so when they deliver games like warioware twisted and twilight princess.

Top Bottom