• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendogs a hit with chicks (Gamespot review)

Kon Tiki

Banned
There have been 10 games reviewed since Death Jr., 2 of them editors choice DS games, yet they still have death Jr (PSP) as the display pic.

SantaC

Gold Member
woah, not my type of game, but Nintendo DS has really took off now, and from now on it should have quality releases every month :)

SantaCruZer said:
woah, not my type of game, but Nintendo DS has really took off now, and from now on it should have quality releases every month :)

same here, I just don't like the whole virtual pet thing, but I hope it sells like mad

926847_20050819_screen003.jpg

You guys know what to do.

polg

Gamespot 9.1 > IGN 8.8 ????

what's wrong with this week? the planets must be aligned or something...

argon

Just from watching the review video I was surprised at how lifelike and responsive the dogs are. It really seems to suspend your disbelief a little, especially when the dog puts his paws up on the screen =). I think the U.S. mainstream reviewers are surprised at the realism.

I've never been a fan of virtual pets either, but Nintendogs is different. Tamogotchi requires a LOT of imagination to be a believable pet...but the Nintendogs look, sound, and act just like real puppies, which gives the game a quick, potent appeal that can be surprising even if you're quite familiar with the concept. And as corny as the touch screen support sometimes feels, I think this pseudo-physical interaction with the pet is still far more effective than pressing tiny rubber buttons on a Tamogotchi or clicking the "Rub" icon in a PC game.

Mainly, the game is cute, and I think we're all kinda shocked at just how profound that cuteness seems to be for people who like dogs.

Sanjuro

I cannot wait. This is definatley a must have for the DS and with the EBgames trade in 4 (or 3 in some places) GBA games and recieve it free is an offer that nobody should pass up.

Going to pick this up on Tuesday, I love Nintendo's always Tuesday shipping. Then Wednesday pick up the Hulk.

acidviper

Banned
Comfort_Eagle said:
I love dogs, but really, really dont see why anyone would buy this game. Maybe its just me.

Like all video games, its something to do. I'm allergic to dogs so I never had one. Great way to have a $30 puppy and no sneezing for me. And if I suck shit at dog raising I don't have to put him to sleep.

Whoah just watched the video review.
-1 for chick video review.
-69 for really ugly chick.

ChrisReid

acidviper said:
Like all video games, its something to do. I'm allergic to dogs so I never had one. Great way to have a $30 puppy and no sneezing for me. And if I suck shit at dog raising I don't have to put him to sleep.

Yeah, I like video games, and I like puppies, but real animals are way too much work. This looks like something amusing to do every night for five or ten minutes in bed before I'm ready to fall asleep (that or play a quickie war room map in Advance Wars).

Shaheed79 said:
Yeah dude, it was all because of you.

And I never implied it was about me. I was pointing out the fact that my gut instinct was right about the game.

Seriously, what is it with this forum and attacking anything, everything, and anyone?

Soul4ger

PhoncipleBone said:
And I never implied it was about me. I was pointing out the fact that my gut instinct was right about the game.

Seriously, what is it with this forum and attacking anything, everything, and anyone?

Most people here have just about zero confidence, so while behind the protection of their toasty computer monitors, they can boost their self-esteem by insulting people they'll never have to actually confront. It works, you should try it!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
PhoncipleBone said:

Sorry man I wasn't attacking you and I'm not one of those keyboard cowboys. I just thought it was funny that many people have taken a LOT of shit backing Nintendogs sales potential at GAF for the better half of a year now including myself. So a couple of months really wasn't that long in retrospect of people betting on its success. Lets hope the west sees a similiar reaction.

Shaheed79 said:
Sorry man I wasn't attacking you and I'm not one of those keyboard cowboys. I just thought it was funny that many people have taken a LOT of shit backing Nintendogs sales potential at GAF for the better half of a year now including myself. So a couple of months really wasn't that long in retrospect of people betting on its success. Lets hope the west sees a similiar reaction.

And I mentioned months because I honestly dont know the first time i saw or heard about this game. Months could mean a year if you take it that way, i just dont know when I first saw it. But thanks for the apology.

Deku

Banned
Shaheed79 said:

Fans of a particular game always has a vested interest in seeing a game sell well.

What is different with Nintendogs is that Drinky and maybe a few others made the mistake a while ago of dismissing the game. When it sold well in Japan, they ate crow, but of course continued to snipe and pretended they were right all along and made new excuses.

The NA lauch gives them another chance at vindication, which means everyone feels there's more at stake than your usual the Psychonauts type discussions where people mostly bemoan low sales few the few detractors are largely ignored.

Drinky is someone who cannot be ignored, unfortunatelly. :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
acidviper said:

Whoah just watched the video review.
-1 for chick video review.
-69 for really ugly chick.

:lol

i closed the video review like 3 seconds into it. i'm a horrible person.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
polg said:
Gamespot 9.1 > IGN 8.8 ????

what's wrong with this week? the planets must be aligned or something...

Hahaha, exactly what I was thinking. Maybe there was a temporal paradox or something this morning and we wound up in some alternate universe where IGN actually gives accurate and meaningful reviews?

Nah.

acidviper

Banned
Wario64 said:
:lol

i closed the video review like 3 seconds into it. i'm a horrible person.

I dont get it. There is no way they hired a frumpy girl to work in gamespot, or handle a video review for that matter. She must be really loose or somebody's sister because there is no excuse for her when IGN got Chobut.

so harsh.. most pretty girls don't work as video game journalists, and I'm sure most of you are overweight guys with sweat stains on your t-shirts :p

Sure, she doesn't look attractive, but she does look like a gamer. I'd rather have someone who knows and cares about gaming than a pretty face.

Top Bottom