• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nixxes Software joins Playstation Studios

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why would it be hyping up more division? That's only true if you think playing video game version is a competition.

If someone watches The Godfather on BluRay and someone else watches it on 4k BluRay, they've experienced the same movie.

Bring more PS games to PC, it doesn't harm people who play on PS at all.

If does if it's day and date. That's just a fact. But if it's a year, 2, 3, or more years later then yeah put them on PC.

mckmas8808

how does it harm people it it's day 1?

My guy Yoboman Yoboman said it above.

Well hopefully if they are steering ahead with this PC port nonsense this will mean they aren't wasting developer resources on it by having Nixxes dedicated to it
Making video games is a business. And that means resources are limited. As a Playstation owner I couldn't care less if the PC version of Playstation 1st party games get bug fixes and updates. I only care about the console versions.

Amiga

there is really no point to exclusive consoles. AMD/NVidia own their tech. Sony and Nintendo should just join MS and make their own PC store and launch games day1. unite the whole gaming community. shift the competition to software and services. to avoid MS control Sony and Nintendo can make their games exclusive to Linux.

Fredrik

Yeah, it sucks for them for sure, but again just like other gamers they will just have to adjust to things as they are now. IMO if someone's a genuine fan of a developer's content or a certain franchise, they won't suddenly stop playing those games just because they aren't on the platform they used to be on. They tend to follow where the games go, especially when enough of them transition from one platform to another.

In Nixxes' case it's not quite the same because they haven't actually made their own games, and I don't think PC gamers are suddenly going to stop buying their ports just because they won't likely be doing ports to PC for companies outside of Sony; they're still getting ports of games and those ports are still being done by Nixxes, so if the games themselves are appealing, PC gamers will buy them.
We don’t know how Sony will use them. This is from their website:

In July 2021 Nixxes joined PlayStation Studios to focus on delivering the highest-quality gameplay experiences for PlayStation fans.

Could mean more Playstation games on PC or just more Playstation games on Playstation.

Nixxes are great but as a PC gamer it’s hard to see it as a positive thing until we know more about how it’ll affect future console-to-PC ports from Sony as well as Square Enix.

wipeout364

My guy Yoboman Yoboman said it above.

Making video games is a business. And that means resources are limited. As a Playstation owner I couldn't care less if the PC version of Playstation 1st party games get bug fixes and updates. I only care about the console versions.
I still don’t understand why people think making PC ports means pulling people out of Naughty dog or Santa Monica. It’s almost always a studio that is hired that specializes in porting. And financially it makes more sense to port then not when it comes to older games.

I still don’t understand why people think making PC ports means pulling people out of Naughty dog or Santa Monica. It’s almost always a studio that is hired that specializes in porting. And financially it makes more sense to port then not when it comes to older games.

GG had to come in to fix the PC port for Horizon

Pretty sure bend also handled the port for Days Gone

Last edited:
I see Kane 2, Avengers, Theif, and Absolution on that list. That drops their value significantly and so does Rise in some cases.

I dont see a reason for this acquisition outside PC ports. But that would go against what Sonys been saying for about 2 years now. It would be a 180 for them to start expanding more on PC.

mckmas8808

I see Kane 2, Avengers, Theif, and Absolution on that list. That drops their value significantly and so does Rise in some cases.

I dont see a reason for this acquisition outside PC ports. But that would go against what Sonys been saying for about 2 years now. It would be a 180 for them to start expanding more on PC.

They also will be helping with making Sony 1st party games too. They help make Killzone ShadowFall for the PS4.

RGB'D

Finally. Please SONY get them to work on porting everything so I can sell your hideous white monstrosity. Also include dual sense support for PC please too with your ports! (Although if i get another damn stick drift I am done for good with that damn controller... if I have the option. Great controller functions, but made so cheaply)

EDIT: I kid. I likely wouldn't sell it as I do enjoy having a living room option. Just lamenting the design choice. But I would definitely buy PC versions over PS5 for most games.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
For what’s it’s worth for my own amusement and against my better judgment, I ventured to the depths of an Xbox centric forum to see the reacts. They’re speculating that Sony is desperate buying who they can for cheap because ms is about to drop 50 billion on multiple publishers. They’ve gone from one aa IP according to jez to multiple publisher buyouts.

For what’s it’s worth for my own amusement and against my better judgment, I ventured to the depths of an Xbox centric forum to see the reacts. They’re speculating that Sony is desperate buying who they can for cheap because ms is about to drop 50 billion on multiple publishers. They’ve gone from one aa IP according to jez to multiple publisher buyouts.
lucious lyon wtf GIF

Of course they probably bought them to make PC games (like TLOU or Uncharted), something they are good at. But I think Nixxes are even better at doing consoles ports.

Merkades

Some of you people are either crazy or ignorant (or unaffected, I guess). Nixxes is a very solid port company for porting to PC. This is a great get imo. Hopefully it means faster, better and more PS games to PC.

I get it if you don't care about PC gaming, but if you do, this is a very solid get. This has me as excited as when I see Durante of PH3 games is working on a port.

Keihart

So this is the internal dev that is going to take the workload of porting games to PC?
To see the day that PS becomes slowly but surely mostly a publisher, interesting.

RGB'D

We don’t know how Sony will use them. This is from their website:

In July 2021 Nixxes joined PlayStation Studios to focus on delivering the highest-quality gameplay experiences for PlayStation fans.

Could mean more Playstation games on PC or just more Playstation games on Playstation.

Nixxes are great but as a PC gamer it’s hard to see it as a positive thing until we know more about how it’ll affect future console-to-PC ports from Sony as well as Square Enix.
Very true but it's not exactly a stretch to think that this is the primary reason given their history. Literally only their first port was not a PC port (although they did some console in there to be fair):

Banned
Next xbox will be a full win 11 machine and you will be able to play PlayStation exclusives on Xbox.

I could see them making it able to download and use everything on the WIndows Store, but a full Windows machine? never. that would not go well.

having access to everything the windows store offers tho could be something that can work

Ezquimacore

Banned
I could see them making it able to download and use everything on the WIndows Store, but a full Windows machine? never. that would not go well.

having access to everything the windows store offers tho could be something that can work
windows 11 is going to be the same software across all the platforms even if the ui is different. You don't need microsoft word on a windows 11 xbox, but Steam or Epic will be possible if they develop the next xbox around Windows 11.

Banned
windows 11 is going to be the same software across all the platforms even if the ui is different. You don't need microsoft word on a windows 11 xbox, but Steam or Epic will be possible if they develop the next xbox around Windows 11.

possible =/= allowed. there is no way they will release a console that runs full WIndows 11... the current Xbox systems all run windows 10, but it is a highly modified version. this could happen with Windows 11 as well, eventually maybe they will make it so the Xbox has access to the full Windows 11 Store... that's the most they will do tho

Ezquimacore

Banned
possible =/= allowed. there is no way they will release a console that runs full WIndows 11... the current Xbox systems all run windows 10, but it is a highly modified version. this could happen with Windows 11 as well, eventually maybe they will make it so the Xbox has access to the full Windows 11 Store... that's the most they will do tho
I mean, PC will be a full Xbox with the new integrated xbox app so I don't think they're against the merge.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Sounds like their purpose is to assist studios in delivering content quicker, not port PC games as many suspected.

LMJ

One of Sony's biggest strengths is that it's in house development teams are notorious for sharing their tech/engines/techniques etc. It sounds like Nixxes are a great acquisition and while I abhor the recent trend of purchasing studios willy-nilly (or worse the cheering for it) I can understand the logic with this one.

I think this will only speed up delivery and development of Playstation studios... and if Sony's smart they'll also be sending these members to key third party studios as well...easier tools, faster development... better for us Gamers!

Hezekiah

Banned
This acquisition makes day 1 PC ports of new Playstation exclusives more believable.
Acaully it means it's is less likely. If it were day one, first-party devs would just target PS5 and PC. Instead Nixxes will be porting over games to PC after a specified time period as was the case with Horizon and Days Gone.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It's an arbitrary, emotionally-stunted, goalpost-shifting tactic though. Even if IP were not acquired, resources that were once available to multiple platform holders were acquired, and now those resources are no longer available to them.

Even aside the fact those platform holders have either gone 3rd-party (Sega) or handle console/PC ports in-house (Microsoft), that doesn't "make up" for third-party software houses that no longer have access to this option for their console games to PC, such as Square-Enix.
No, it is not the same. No one cares about the nameless tech ressources in the background. It's about the GAMES. The IPs. The popular series. That's what people care about. You've been playing the victim for so long to prove there is a double standard with MS you became blind. No one agrees with you that buying a tech studio with no IP is equivalent to what MS did.

Nixxes is a tech support studio. Square Enix will just find someone else to do their ports. Nothing lost but keep writing those novels. Phil might hire you to write his bio.

Top Bottom