• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10 in Tokyo Dome [OT] Let's Go Pro-Wrestling!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could switch any of these three matches around in any order and I would agree. Easily the three best closing matches to any show. Ever.

You mean best trio of matches, not three best individually? If so then I wouldn't say it's easy but it's very debatable, yeah. IMO it just beats Wrestle Kingdom 7's last three matches but it's close.

Anyway, incredible show. I'm so happy my boy Okada finally got his big Jan 4th win over Tanahashi, in a match that's up there with their best too. On top of that, Ishii/Shibata, Nakamura/AJ (fucked back and all) and Omega/Kushida were incredible too.

If I've got one criticism, it's that the roster seems to lack a bit of depth at the moment, which is why they've got guys like Jay Lethal and the Briscoes debuting on the show and absolutely no-one gave one shit about them. I don't know why they didn't bring some NOAH guys over instead, especially Suzuki and KES.

Pretty much every match was amazing. Quick reviews for each:

1. NJ Rumble was stupid fun. Loved that Cheeseburger really shined and the dueling ass attacks of Koshinaka and Taguchi. Haku wasn't a big surprise (Tama Tonga put a pic up on his twitter of them flying over), but it was still awesome to see him. Jado winning was dumb but I get that it was to promote MCZ's new album so whatever.

2. Jr. Tag 4-way was probably the best they've done, it actually seemed to have a flow rather than spot spot spot spot spot. Young Bucks winning made sense since reDRagon might be leaving to NXT or TNA and Ricochet's LU commitments means he can't do NJPW full-time

3. Six man tag was fun with some decent comedy shtick from Yano. Can't imagine their reign lasting long though, I see some Ingobernables in their future.

4. ROH title match was just kind of there. I felt like if they had more time it could be something really special, and they just pull the WWE carny finish at the end. The fans weren't really into it. Probably the worst match of the show but it was still great, everything else was that much better.

5. Jr. title was awesome, Omega is so good, and KUSHIDA worked well with him, great finish too with the One Winged Angel working against Omega, was different enough from their match at DOMINION that I really enjoyed it. Oh, and Taguchi as Doc Brown was awesome.

6. Tag title match was just kinda there, but I'm happy to see Honma finally win gold.

7. A lot of people are pissed about this, but I'm happy Goto won (and not just because he's my favorite NJPW guy), this was good vs. evil (or EVIL...lol) and good had to win or Goto would have just been a loser. Don't worry, Naito will come back...I expect he'll be challenging for some IC gold soon.

8. GOOD FREAKING GOD. I was literally in pain watching that. Ishii and Shibata deserve all the credit in the world for that one. Two guys stiffing the hell out of each other. So glad Shibata won his first singles title, he can really do a lot with the NEVER belt and take it to an even higher level than Ishii.

9. And if that couldn't be topped, AJ and Nak lived up to all the hype. While it didn't have the story of Nak/Ibushi last year, it surpassed it with pure skill from both men, Nak kicking out of the Styles Clash when it's been built up as such a killer move was incredible, and the psychology on the back was awesome. Great, great stuff.

10. And if THAT couldn't be topped, Okada and Tanahashi went out and had the best match of the eight they've had. Incredible sequences, false finishes done well, and a great story of Tana being the grumpy cunt not wanting to give up his spot and Okada finally exorcising his final demon to become the ace of New Japan. I'm not sure where Tana goes from here (hopefully a long vacation if Meltz is to be believed) but Okada proved that he's a damn star. I can't wait to see things evolve this year - Okada vs. Goto is probably set for New Beginning, but there's also Okada vs. Naito and, biggest of all, Okada vs. Nakamura.

Even so, now that this five-year story has come to an end, NJPW is going to have to plug somebody else into the main event. Nakamura is the obvious pick, but they'd have to get the IC belt off of him first (Naito would be perfect for that). Goto can also move up, as can Ibushi when he comes back. AJ may be done with NJPW for the time being, so maybe Anderson can get plugged in. Or hell, if Omega is finally done at Jr, maybe HE can move up too. There's definitely a lot more intrigue in the main event scene in New Japan in years, now that Tanahashi is finally, thankfully, out of it.

EDIT: Attendance was only about 25,204, way down from the 36,000 from last year. A real shame.

Raw64life

Started to have buffering problems during the NEVER match after I had finally had enough of the awful English commentary. After the match ended I passed out since I had to be up for work in about 2 hours. But what I saw was awesome. Glad to hear that the two main events lived up to the hype. Not worried about spoilers since the outcomes of the last two matches were obvious.

korly

I don't think the Omega match is getting the attention it deserves but with so much greatness on this card I understand it.

Holy shit was the English commentary awful.

CX5RW_9UMAAB_ek.jpg:large

CX4rU4vUEAEehHy.jpg:large

EDIT: Also...

CX5Uaq5UoAAJvu1.png:large

CX5e82hUEAAZeO0.png:large

This is fantastic, just about to watch Nak/Styles which I'm sure will live up to the hype, because it's Nak and Styles.

Why is Yoshi Tatsu on commentary? He's terrible!

Xater

This is fantastic, just about to watch Nak/Styles which I'm sure will live up to the hype, because it's Nak and Styles.

English commentary is bad in general. Way worse than last year. Might as well switch to Japanese to be honest.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I read the OP and thought it was great. Having a translator for the interviews and videos would make them worth paying attention to. He didn't translate a thing! Did he think he was there to be a translator? Every time he got asked a question he sounded surprised, and I don't think he actually translated a single word.

Xater

I read the OP and thought it was great. Having a translator for the interviews and videos would make them worth paying attention to. He didn't translate a thing! Did he think he was there to be a translator? Every time he got asked a question he sounded surprised, and I don't think he actually translated a single word.

He did some near the end, but not really.

Hex

Banned
Finally caught up, passed out last night around three, been fighting off the plague and could not stay awake.
What a night.
So many top tier matches.

Cub3h

Banned
Great matches this year, but imo the production quality has dropped a bit. All the fanfare we saw with the amazing entrances from WK7/8/9 was missing. Maybe they've cut back because they've given up PPV in favour of NJPW world, so I doubt they're making as much on their big event as they used to.

Hopefully this year we'll get some new guys up in the main event mix, I'd love to see Shibata or Ishii (before he gets too old) get a run with the belt.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Inokiism Ambassador ‏@purowoookie 4m4 minutes ago
I don't wanna go as far as saying NJPW is fucked if that Nakamura rumor is true, but damn boy.

what rumour would that be?

shaowebb

What's Sasuke Macnamara doing in the NXT zone?

I really don't want him to do it. I don't want to see Nak being fed to fucking Reigns.

They'd fucking job him harder than Funaki. They'll push Asuka because asian women are hot and thats okay in Vince's world but an Asian male as a top draw? No way would the WWE get off its high horse and push it. He'd be fed to fucks like Fandango before they'd allow him to get over. Worse than that...they'd never acknowledge all he's earned or ever bring up his incredible career. He'd be an "unknown newcomer trying to be as good as WWE" when he's in fact leagues beyond their trash product.

Stay in NJPW Shinsuke. They'd never let you over.

Anth0ny

Finally got a chance to watch it all. Holy fucking shit what a show. I was marking the fuck out at Shibata/Ishii just beating the holy hell out of each other, and then Styles/Nakamura and Okada/Tanahashi was pretty much what you'd expect. Incredible fucking matches. The best wrestlers in the world.

If Styles and Nakamura really are NXT bound, my god are we in for a treat.

Until they go to the main roster to get berried.

janoDX

WWE doing the check mate to NJPW before it takes over.

AJ, Nakamura, Anderson and Gallows.

The potential is there, and HHH will be the one managing.

http://njpwworld.com/lp/l_enlive_36_1

NJPW NEW YEAR DASH!! beginning shortly, with English commentary.

No card yet, but more than likely it will build up to future matches for NEW BEGINNING. It'll be interesting to see where and if Nakamura, AJ, Anderson, and Gallows are on the card.

Edit: Actually, one match confirmed, Kenny Omega posted on Twitter that he's teaming with AJ to face Nakamura and YOSHI-HASHI...Nakamura's next (and final) IC contender confirmed?

Wow, Koshinaka, Fujiwara, and Cheeseburger in the opening match.

Also, Haku teaming with the BC!

Naito's team facing Tanahashi, that's a confirmed feud.

Also, Goto and Okada on opposite sides, looks like that's confirmed.

Main event: NEVER 6 man titles: Yano and Briscoes vs. Fale and Young Bucks.

Full Card:

1 Cheeseburger, Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV, Yohei Komatsu and Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Manabu Nakanishi, Ryusuke Taguchi, Sho Tanaka, Shiro Koshinaka and Yuji Nagata 10-man tag team match
2 David Finlay and Jay White vs. Matt Sydal and Ricochet
3 Jay Lethal vs. Juice Robinson
4 Bullet Club (Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson, King Haku, Tama Tonga and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. G.B.H. (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma), KUSHIDA and Tencozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima) 10-man tag team match
5 Los Ingobernables de Japón (BUSHI, EVIL and Tetsuya Naito) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Mascara Dorada and Michael Elgin 6-man tag team match
6 Bullet Club (A.J. Styles and Kenny Omega) vs. Chaos (Shinshuke Nakamura and YOSHI-HASHI)
7 Chaos (Beretta, Kazuchika Okada, Rocky Romero and Tomohiro Ishii) vs. Meiyu Tag (Hirooki Goto and Katsuyori Shibata) and reDRagon (Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly) 8-man tag team match
8 Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) vs. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay Briscoe and Mark Briscoe) and Toru Yano (c) NEVER Openweight 6-man Tag Team Championship

Results:

1 Cheeseburger, Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV, Yohei Komatsu and Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Manabu Nakanishi, Ryusuke Taguchi, Sho Tanaka, Shiro Koshinaka and Yuji Nagata 10-man tag team match -
Taguchi wins with the Dodon on Komatsu, he was doing plenty of butt stuff with Koshinaka, Cheeseburger also was all over the match and got a headbutt from Fujiwara afterwards to be a dick.

2 David Finlay and Jay White vs. Matt Sydal and Ricochet - Sydal and Ricochet won with the Double SSP, afterwards they said they want a shot at the Young Bucks Jr. tag titles.

3 Jay Lethal vs. Juice Robinson - Lethal wins with the Lethal Injection.

4 Bullet Club (Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson, King Haku, Tama Tonga and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. G.B.H. (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma), KUSHIDA and Tencozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima) 10-man tag team match - Haku was awesome in this match, motherfucker can still go and he looks like he's barely aged in the last 20 years. Gallows and Anderson pin Honma with the Magic Killer, and afterwards challenge GBH to a tag title rematch.

5 Los Ingobernables de Japón (BUSHI, EVIL and Tetsuya Naito) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Mascara Dorada and Michael Elgin 6-man tag team match - BUSHI pins Dorada with the MX, afterwards LIDJ attack all three men, KUSHIDA makes the save but gets misted by BUSHI, who then challenges him to an IWGP Jr. title match. It looks like Naito vs. Tanahashi was set up as well.

6 Bullet Club (A.J. Styles and Kenny Omega) vs. Chaos (Shinshuke Nakamura and YOSHI-HASHI) - Omega beats Nakamura with the One Winged Angel, then shockingly takes out AJ with the move as well! The rest of Bullet Club make the save seemingly...then everyone turns on AJ, kicking him out of the group. Omega takes the mike and says he's moving to heavyweight, challenging Nakamura for the IC belt. Apparently he is the new leader of Bullet Club. AJ gets up under his own power and bows to the crowd, apparently this was his goodbye and he is done with NJPW.

7 Chaos (Beretta, Kazuchika Okada, Rocky Romero and Tomohiro Ishii) vs. Meiyu Tag (Hirooki Goto and Katsuyori Shibata) and reDRagon (Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly) 8-man tag team match - Goto wins by making Berreta tap out to the Shoryu Kekkai. He then challenges Okada to a Heavyweight Title match. Okada accepts saying he wants to avenge his loss in the G1, and can't wait to unify the Heavyweight title with the IC title...oh wait, Goto isn't IC champ anymore. Ishii and Shibata also got into each other, so a rematch between them for the NEVER title is likely as well.

8 Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) vs. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay Briscoe and Mark Briscoe) and Toru Yano (c) NEVER Openweight 6-man Tag Team Championship - Briscoes win with a Jay Driller from Jay followed by the Froggy Bow from Mark on Matt. Afterwards the Briscoes say they will be back in NJPW, and Yano says he knows the fans can't understand them, but it's okay because he can't understand them either. He then thanks the Briscoes for being wrestlers after his own heart. YANO....TO....RU!!!! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trojan X

Banned
Finally got the chance to watch it. OMG! AJ vs Nakamura match was absolutely sic! That epic fist bump was the icing on the cake.

Finally got a chance to watch it all. Holy fucking shit what a show. I was marking the fuck out at Shibata/Ishii just beating the holy hell out of each other, and then Styles/Nakamura and Okada/Tanahashi was pretty much what you'd expect. Incredible fucking matches. The best wrestlers in the world.

If Styles and Nakamura really are NXT bound, my god are we in for a treat.

Until they go to the main roster to get berried.

Meltzer says Styles and Nakamura are going straight to the main roster

Grifter

Haven't watched WWE in a decade but might they treat either of them like they did Flair way back when? Let them bring their known gimmicks and acknowledge, however vaguely, that they're greats and former champions?

Haven't watched WWE in a decade but might they treat either of them like they did Flair way back when? Let them bring their known gimmicks and acknowledge, however vaguely, that they're greats and former champions?

They've done that with Kevin Steen, KENTA, Prince Devitt and Samoa Joe. Only the 4th kept his name but they've acknowledged all four have had nearly a decade of experience.

They don't say where they've explicitly been in the past though and what championships they've held

Ithil

They've done that with Kevin Steen, KENTA, Prince Devitt and Samoa Joe. Only the 4th kept his name but they've acknowledged all four have had nearly a decade of experience.

They don't say where they've explicitly been in the past though and what championships they've held

KENTA also came in as KENTA and changed his name live on air, so in WWE kayfabe he is still KENTA from NOAH.
Joe keeping his name was more of a happy accident, as such, mind.

It depends but I cant imagine WWE not allowing AJ Styles to keep his name and vaguely mention his past. Dude isnt some indie guy who has never wrestled a big show before and a lot of WWE fans with know who he is.

Nakamura .... I dunno. I wouldnt bet against them repackaging him like they do a lot of guys but still call him as "a international superstar"

Grifter

It depends but I cant imagine WWE not allowing AJ Styles to keep his name and vaguely mention his past. Dude isnt some indie guy who has never wrestled a big show before and a lot of WWE fans with know who he is.

Nakamura .... I dunno. I wouldnt bet against them repackaging him like they do a lot of guys but still call him as "a international superstar"

It'd make even less sense to repackage Nakamura as I can only assume they pursued him for his coked-up Michael Jackson act moreso than his in-ring performance, tho they're awfully good at stripping away wrestlers' appealing qualities.

It'd make even less sense to repackage Nakamura as I can only assume they pursued him for his coked-up Michael Jackson act moreso than his in-ring performance, tho they're awfully good at stripping away wrestlers' appealing qualities.

That's most likely. Nakamura will get a name change most likely to something not difficult for the average American (SHIN-SOO-KEE NAK-EE-MIU-RA!!!) but I fully expect him to keep his style and a majority of his moves.

That being said, let's please keep this topic to Wrestle Kingdom 10 and other surrounding NJPW event coverage only. If you want to discuss the possible pending departures of NJPW stars, January Wrasslin' is right here.

I've gotten through most of the first half of the show so far.

Young Bucks vs. reDRagon vs. RPG Vice vs. Sydal & Ricochet

It would be underselling the match to call it a spotfest, since it wasn't a completely meaningless set of high spots. You could see the story that they're trying to weave, but making this a four way weakened the overall story. Sydal and Ricochet don't really have an identity as a team, so I'm hoping that they get to team more often and to show a little more edge in their match stories. This was a fine opener. Is it wrong that I really like Rocky Romero's RPG Vice entrance?

Toru Yano and The Briscoes vs. Tama Tonga, Bad Luck Fale, and Yujiro Takahashi

Yujiro promised us January 4 quality talent for the show, so it was a little disappointing to see only Mao with him. As Boots has said elsewhere, Yujiro is the blandest fucker in the ring during the matches. The Briscoes were on fire during the match, and I could see how the part of the crowd that remembers Gordy would like the Briscoes. Fale has gained even more weight, and he just looks slow. His strikes aren't stiff enough to compensate for his lack of speed. Tonga, as usual, looked very good; it still feels like NJPW wasted him. I'm not a fan of how the early matches on the show were booked with outside interference and brawling before the bell.

Jay Lethal vs. #BIGMIKE

This match was also strangely paced. If you're going for a screw-job finish, why have Lethal control so much of the match through restholds? It wasn't a satisfactory story, and it didn't make either guy look great to an audience that doesn't know Lethal at all and is still getting to know Elgin. I do hope Elgin stays in Japan; he just seems to fit there.

Kushida vs. Kenny Omega

Another match with shenanigans before the match, at least Kushida and Omega were able to kick the show up a notch. Omega's strikes, particularly his knee strikes, looked awesome. And I really appreciated how he sold the arm after Kushida applied the Hoverboard Lock multiple times. Kushida's fast, but I don't sense the explosiveness that should impress me in a IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion. Also, at what point does he need to dump this Marty McFly cosplay gimmick?

Guns and Gallows vs. GBH

Anderson and Gallows were in great shape. This was a perfectly fine heavyweight tag team match. Honma, as usual, was the face in peril. Hopefully, this will lead to fresh match-ups in the IWGP Tag Team scene.

Naito vs. Goto

EVIL needs to ditch the plastic scythe immediately. Everything else about Los Ingobernables: Japan's look works, but that scythe looks silly. This was another match with interference, and I was just tired of outside interference in these matches at this point. This was more of a storyline match than an exhibition, and it was perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom