• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

Machina

Banned
I give this game a.....3 week cooling off period before everyone starts labelling it the biggest disappointment of 2016

Gator86

Have you been READING this thread and the impressions thread?

Like, come on.

I've yet to see a long list of examples of people who want the game to be bad. I've seen people who aren't thrilled with it and those critical of the messaging accompanying it. Both of those things are fine. Criticism is not vitriol or hoping for the game to fail. People really need to get over the whole not gushing about a game = malicious bashing.

Tagyhag

It's always entertaining to see games with review scores all over the place. Personally I am enjoying the game immensely; sometimes it feels like his game was made for my exact tastes in mind. My issues are pretty minor (I would like to see a planetary/star system map for example) in the grand scheme, I came for exploring new worlds and seeing new creatures no one else will ever see and in that it has succeeded.

Guarantee you people have already seen the same creatures.

Looks like it's being torn a new one on Steam. Only 50% of the reviews seem to be positive out of 14,123 reviews as of now making it a "Mixed" rating. Most of the negative reviews are centered around or factor in the game being unable to run well on a wider range of computers. I absolutely know I can't play this game on PC if the game won't run at its minimum recommended settings.

NMS is my first ever review on steam, which is a negative cannot even run the game without computer locking up. I have hundreds of steam games and never had this problem - I've had games crash but not completely lock up the system every time forcing me to physically reboot the PC

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
NMS is my first ever review on steam, which is a negative cannot even run the game without computer locking up. I have hundreds of steam games and never had this problem - I've had games crash but not completely lock up the system every time forcing me to physically reboot the PC

I know for a fact it will do the same to my rig.

If I play this thing at all it will be somewhere in the future if I decide to get a PS4. There'd be too much I'd need to upgrade in my computer and honestly these days I don't really feel like keeping up with PC gaming. I just want the convenience of plug-n-play.

MilesTeg

Banned
I think the game is selling well despite these scores. I know four people IRL who have bought the game, and a fith who couldn't because it was sold out at Best Buy. Whether the game has staying power is debatable, but I think the mystique around the game and the fact that people were hungry for a hyped new release have led to high initial sales. Wouldn't be surprised if this has already sold well over a million copies. For an indie dev at $60, this will be quite the success despite the poor reviews.

I think the game is selling well despite these scores. I know four people IRL who have bought the game, and a fith who couldn't because it was sold out at Best Buy. Whether the game has staying power is debatable, but I think the mystique around the game and the fact that people were hungry for a hyped new release have led to high initial sales. Wouldn't be surprised if this has already sold well over a million copies. For an indie dev at $60, this will be quite the success despite the poor reviews.

They'll make a fortune they were smart to release when its a quiet period. Only steam makes it easy to get refunds.

Quite a scam in terms of the PC version. The game obviously wasn't ready to be released. But they made a fortune so who cares that the product was shipped unfinished and will end up with mediocre scores and ultimately considered a over hyped weak game.

In the long run they would have made more money if they got everything working and had good will. Not to mention a product to be proud of, verus a cynical money grab (in the case of the PC version)

demigod

How many copies did Best Buy get, 5? A million even worldwide would be impressive, i highly doubt it though.

ghostjoke

Banned
Setting aside the performance issues, and the terrible pop in, and the controls locking, sending me jetting upwards before finally relinquishing control back to me, only for me to plummet to my death, and considering I had no grand ideas of it having MMO components, and that I was planning to have it be a podcast game to relax to at most, I still feel like the reviews are going light on it. Run here, pick up this, laser down that, engage in irritating sub par combat, and repeat. The repetitiveness waned before I got off the first planet and the idea of [INSERT EXTREMELY LARGE NUMBER HERE] of these buggers being out there makes me never want to go near it again. It reeks of being a neat little experimental idea that got strapped into AAA exposure, complete with $60 price tag.

Got a new album by 65dos out of it though, so worth it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I pretty much agree with Polygon with the exception that I find the visuals to be mostly lackluster (the franken-fauna is laughable) and about as boring as the paper-thin gameplay. I was done at 6 hours in and quite puzzled by how poor my experience was with it only to convince myself I must be missing something and that there must be more. After 20 hours of play my initial thoughts remain.

I love all sorts of sci-fi (classic, modern, etc) but this did next to nothing for me. Incredibly disappointing.
This is me now - after a brief return to it with some 'good' and quite stunning planets, it's now the same dull environments and tedious monotony. had a good first impression but I can put it to rest now knowing I've seen everything it has to offer. The gameplay doesn't change even slightly even if you played it for 100 hours. Kinda crazy.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I give this game a.....3 week cooling off period before everyone starts labelling it the biggest disappointment of 2016
A lot of people labeling it that and have barely read the reviews or played the game.

Mrbob

How many copies did Best Buy get, 5? A million even worldwide would be impressive, i highly doubt it though.
Game had over 200000 concurrent users on Steam today. Those are only the people who are playing the game. Not everyone who bought it.

Between pc and ps4 itll get to one million if it hasn't already.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also feel pretty mixed. Was pretty lukewarm at the reveal unlike most as I expected endless Blue/Red/Violet/Green planets to explore and perform identical activities towards a nebulous goal. I hoped to be surprised, instead my expectations were met and after a few days I have moved on.

flyingcloud11

Neo Member
So mixed reviews. Half being positive a s the other half negative. I'm not surprised. This game is going down the same road as destiny and division.

Atomski

I feel like this game should have been put on steam early access to get the kinks worked out. Like many games similar to it.. I feel like it really helped Starbound.

I'm guessing the deal with Sony made that impossible though.

I feel like this game should have been put on steam early access to get the kinks worked out. Like many games similar to it.. I feel like it really helped Starbound.

I'm guessing the deal with Sony made that impossible though.

I'd agree with that. This was the worst major PC game I have ever played in terms of performance and stability since Fallout New Vegas.

codhand

All over the place.

Expected though. It's not for everyone.

yeah, i know what you mean, these game's reviews were "all over the place" too.

20160812_222831.png

Barakov

Gold Member
I was really impressed for the first 4 or 5 hours. But after the luster wore off for me I keep going back and forth on it. Still it says something about it that I continue to play it. With the content that's in the game right now a 6 or 7 out of ten is about right for this game.

Yukinari

Setting aside the performance issues, and the terrible pop in, and the controls locking, sending me jetting upwards before finally relinquishing control back to me, only for me to plummet to my death, and considering I had no grand ideas of it having MMO components, and that I was planning to have it be a podcast game to relax to at most, I still feel like the reviews are going light on it. Run here, pick up this, laser down that, engage in irritating sub par combat, and repeat. The repetitiveness waned before I got off the first planet and the idea of [INSERT EXTREMELY LARGE NUMBER HERE] of these buggers being out there makes me never want to go near it again. It reeks of being a neat little experimental idea that got strapped into AAA exposure, complete with $60 price tag.

Got a new album by 65dos out of it though, so worth it.

It's a great game, and will only get better with time.

Neogaf.gif

Hupsel

Damn. The IGN reviewer SHREDDED the game and still gave it a 6. I think that if it was a more unknown title it would be a 4 or even less. Favorite things from him were some ship designs and when you fly above a planet and that´s it.

Probably going to be one of the highest profile critical flops that still sells well since Destiny. Hope most of the PC people can get a refund.

Hey look, someone who can make a sensible post without wishing the game turn out to be a complete failure.

This is, like, a novel idea. Someone who doesn't qualify for the "haters gonna hate" badge? Could it be?
You are laying the drama on pretty thick. Who cares what people think? Are you enjoying it?

Jeffrey

Game was great in marketing and the promise, but idk, once I started seeing streams and videos of the finished game this week, the pop-in really does kill a lot of the magic of a seemless universe.

wonder if mods on pc will fix this. Might be worth a buy then.

Yudoken

Honest question why does this game cost on pc as much as the console version in Germany? (60€, holy cow).
I mean for comparison Witcher 3 on launch was about 50€ (or even 44€ or something if I remember it right) on gog.
This is ridiculous or am I missing something?

Just started it and played a few hours. I honestly don't know how to feel. I like it, but I don't feel that I want to play it again. Just didn't feel like there was a lot of depth, and I'm not a fan of resource management. I don't think this game is for me, but it does a lot right and I can see why it would be appealing for those who like games of this type. I'd say somewhere between a 6 or 7 out of 10 is pretty spot on.

Jim Sterling's thoughts on the PC version at the end of this video reflect mine pretty well from what I have seen of it. I mean the whole thing is informative but I time stamped the relevant part at the end and from that point on there are no spoilers.

https://youtu.be/PDP0Xodpas4?t=1224

No I haven't played Arkham Knight so I don't know if the comparison is apt.

Loudninja

Gamespot 7/10
No Man's Sky is immediately a massive game with impressive seamless transitions from ground to space, and it will entertain your inner collector for a while. The more you get to know it, the more you recognize its faults, and it's easy to fall so deep into the act of exploring and trading that your focus narrows to those aspects alone. If, however, you consider everything it has to offer and listen to what Atlas has to say, No Man's Sky becomes more than a collection of slightly different worlds in a seemingly never-ending galaxy--it becomes an examination of the meaning of life in a way that's more valuable than all the gold or starships in its virtual galaxy.
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/no-mans-sky-review/1900-6416492/

Game had over 200000 concurrent users on Steam today. Those are only the people who are playing the game. Not everyone who bought it.

Between pc and ps4 itll get to one million if it hasn't already.

How many refunds will happen on PC though. On steamspy it's got a rating in the 40's.

Dmented

Banned
It's a great game, and will only get better with time.

But will it? If you mean performance wise, then I'd hope so. If you mean with more content? That would be awesome but tbh I don't see it happening unless they go the paid DLC route. Which tbh is bullshit. Content for this should be put in free updates given how little content there actually is.

This really is an early access game sold as a complete game. It was way too overhyped too early on.

I'd love if they added in building. Base building, ship building, etc. Like, a combination of NMS and Space Engineers.

Top Bottom