• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-celiac Gluten Sensitivity Now Thoroughly Shown to Not Exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelchaar

GAF, I'm a scientist by trade (Cancer Scientist), and I love sharing scientific articles and findings with people that can benefit from them. I can imagine there are a few people on GAF that follow the gluten-free diet. This one is for you. I tried to make this as reader-friendly as possible by splitting the news article into bullet points.

Source: Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-sensitivity-and-study-replication-2014-5#ixzz3OtzZDdTA)

Background:

- Celiac Disease is an an auto-immune disorder triggered by gluten. For a while it was considered that only people with Celiac Disease should avoid gluten in their diets.

- What is Gluten? Gluten is a protein composite found in wheat, barley, and other grains. It gives bread its chewiness and is often used as a meat substitute

- Some time ago, scientists (Peter Gibson and his group) who posited the existence of a condition called "Gluten Sensitivity", in which people who do are not diagnosed to have Celiac Disease do not tolerate gluten in diets. The scientifically sound — but small — study found that gluten-containing diets can cause gastrointestinal distress in people without celiac disease.

Findings Re-evaluation: The same scientists expanded the study

- Since gluten is a protein found in any normal diet, Gibson was unsatisfied with his finding. He wanted to find out why the gluten seemed to be causing this reaction and if there could be something else going on. He therefore went to a scientifically rigorous extreme for his next experiment, a level not usually expected in nutrition studies.

- For a follow-up paper, 37 self-identified gluten-sensitive patients were tested.

- The subjects cycled through high-gluten, low-gluten, and no-gluten (placebo) diets, without knowing which diet plan they were on at any given time. In the end, all of the treatment diets — even the placebo diet — caused pain, bloating, nausea, and gas to a similar degree. It didn't matter if the diet contained gluten.

To put the nail in the coffin, the same scientists did yet another, much larger study:

- "In contrast to our first study … we could find absolutely no specific response to gluten," Gibson wrote in the paper. A third, larger study published this month has confirmed the findings.

- It seems to be a "nocebo" effect — the self-diagnosed gluten sensitive patients expected to feel worse on the study diets, so they did. They were also likely more attentive to their intestinal distress, since they had to monitor it for the study.

But some people still experience intestinal and digestive improvement following a gluten-free diet. It can't just be a mental effect. What gives?

- Other potential dietary triggers — specifically the FODMAPS – could be causing what people have wrongly interpreted as gluten sensitivity. FODMAPS are frequently found in the same foods as gluten (especially bread!). However, That still doesn't explain why people in the study negatively reacted to diets that were free of all dietary triggers so the scientists still have some research to do.

- FODMAPS: Short chain carbohydrates (oligosaccharides), disaccharides, monosaccharides and related alcohols that are poorly absorbed in the small intestine. These include short chain oligo-saccharide polymers of fructose (fructans) and galactose (galactans), disaccharides (lactose), monosaccharides (fructose), and sugar alcohols (polyols) such as sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol and maltitol.

About time! I know a lot of people have been waiting on this study. Science is usually pretty effective at changing people's minds. Especially when it come to diets. I guess we can put this issue to rest.

About time! I know a lot of people have been waiting on this study. Science is usually pretty effective at changing people's minds. Especially when it come to diets. I guess we can put this issue to rest.

Did you see the backlash to the scientific study on female squirting? Science lost some credibility on those findings, and I'm not sure the public will like to hear that their gluten free diet isn't doing them as much benefit ( if any ) as they thought.

Cagey

Banned
People who believe they are gluten-sensitive without having Celiac disease are also science-immune.

Research won't achieve much.

I'm on a FODMAP diet. Honestly as someone who suffers from IBS I'm skeptical of all gastroenterology findings. Too much reliance on diagnosis by the process of elimination.

I don't think gluten is the problem. A lot of civilizations in the past survived on bread and were just fine. It's more that the bread you find in supermarkets today is a frankenstein creation that people should cut out of their diets as much as possible.

studyguy

I still find it wild that my water cooler jug has a giant ass GLUTEN FREE label on it.
I mean it's great to know that water doesn't have gluten, but you might as well tag GMO FREE on it as well. Labeling is fine, glad dudes with celiac have the ability to find out, but marketing it unnecessarily on things that obviously don't need a label seems sorta gross.

Volimar

Did you see the backlash to the scientific study on female squirting? Science lost some credibility on those findings, and I'm not sure the public will like to hear that their gluten free diet isn't doing them as much benefit ( if any ) as they thought.

So gluten is mostly urine?

Derwind

I figured it was bullshit but its at least given people with Celiac disease more options for a gluten free diet.

This is one of those times the positives vastly outweigh any negative association towards the Gluten craze.

nelchaar

I'm on a FODMAP diet. Honestly as someone who suffers from IBS I'm skeptical of all gastroenterology findings. Too much reliance on diagnosis by elimination.

Completely agree. my girlfriend was recorded to have delayed gastric emptying. The doctor did not bother to do any other tests outside of a endoscopy and was quick to diagnose her to have Gastroparesis, and then told her there is no cure.

The story has a happy ending. My gf, like myself, is also a scientist, and she was able to delve behind the scientific literature and study up on gastroenterology and gastroparesis. She found out that she did not fit the patient characteristics of that condition, and was able to improve her gastric health by herself by identifying the foods that caused her gastric discomfort. Gastroenterologists are a joke, and their science is very behind on modern times.

marrec

Banned
I figured it was bullshit but its at least given people with Celiac disease more options for a gluten free diet.

This is one of those times the positives vastly outweigh any negative association towards the Gluten craze.

Cocktail parties have become an absolute mess.

"Don't bring anything with Gluten in it because I'm cleansing/sensitive/it makes me gassy"

Fuck you I'm loading up this bean dip with flour just to give you terrible gas.

Gastroenterologists are a joke, and their science is very behind on modern times.

This made me giggle.

I don't know what I suffered from but man eating wheat was like consuming poison daily . At the time I was a vegetarian and that probably made it worse.

I had constant heart burn, bloating, this burning sensation on top of the gums by the nose, involuntary muscle twitches on face, legs and left hand, horrible anxiety problems, brain fog, transparent mucus discharge from nose and very low energy. Out of all these symptoms brain fog was the worst. I felt zoned out and I had absolutely no idea what was going on in any of my classes.

I went to the doctor and had so many tests done, and that idiot never asked about my diet or celiac disease. I honestly thought I was fucked for life. I am glad I started eating meat and gave up on wheat.

All I know is that things with a lot of wheat in them definitely stay in my guts about 2 days longer than anything else, and makes me super fart-y. Like, bio-weapon status. I also lost like 70lbs (in like 7 months) when I started cutting it out of my diet. I'll eat it sometimes, but it always makes me gassy 2 days later, like clockwork. I've never been tested for celiac though, no idea if I have that or not, I just know how my body reacts to wheat.

Guevara

I think most people would benefit from decreasing simple carbs.

Gluten is a lazy shorthand that somewhat achieves that goal, however the reasoning is completely wrong.

JaggedSac

giphy.gif

studyguy

All I know is that things with a lot of wheat in them definitely stay in my guts about 2 days longer than anything else, and makes me super fart-y. Like, bio-weapon status. I also lost like 70lbs (in like 7 months) when I started cutting it out of my diet. I'll eat it sometimes, but it always makes me gassy 2 days later, like clockwork. I've never been tested for celiac though, no idea of I have ot or not, I just know how my body reacts to wheat.

Cutting carbs will generally do that to you though...

Yeah, but gluten still makes you fat

I thought it was more that most foods with gluten also have a lot of carbs, and carbs make you fat. I'm vegetarian so getting enough protein is always a concern...and gluten itself is a protein, called seitan when it's isolated from the carbs in grain. I love the stuff and to my knowledge it's perfectly healthy.

KevinRo

People who believe they are gluten-sensitive without having Celiac disease are also science-immune.

Research won't achieve much.

You can be gluten sensitive without having celiac disease. I know this because I live with a person who fits such description.

Somnid

Even if it is a nocebo, if people feel better just let them live their lives?

Edit: I have Celiac's though

Dietary restriction trends especially from self-diagnosed conditions is potentially risky business. We don't really understand the implications but with many others we've done things like substitute ingredients that turned out to be actually bad or worse or have caused malnourishment in dieters. It's particularly bad for orthorexics who make feel a need to needlessly restrict diets to the point of malnutrition out of a fear of unhealthiness. And of course irrational paranoia also inhibits scientific discovery and progress because it becomes less about the facts and more about the feelings, gluten-free to some is an identity like religion.

Fad diets.

Every food causes cancer, everything causes allergies... organic food, animal rights, gluten free food, fat free food.

Just eat everything in lower servings and do a little bit of exercise. That's it. It's not rocket science.

Alric

There is people I know I'd show this too but they'd just get offended because even though they tested negative for Celiac Disease they will argue that gluten affects them and nothing I say could change that and I don't feel like arguing it. Just gonna let them do what they will. Still great article.

That was their second study. They did a third, larger study with 147 participants.

That still seems like a small sample size as compared to other studies I've read recently about other health issues. What are the benefits to having them be smaller? Isn't it better to have more involved?

Oh yes, I'm serious. I recently started reading papers on r/science and the common complaint I see is the sample size is relatively small. So excuse the fuck out of me for wanting to know.

What I said was to imply that you were going to get pounced on. It's happened to me before, actually.

Edit: So there's no need to be hostile.

Stet

Banned
That still seems like a small sample size as compared to other studies I've read recently about other health issues. What are the benefits to having them be smaller? Isn't it better to have more involved?

The benefits to having them be smaller are that finding more than 137 people who have a made-up condition is probably going to be tough.

I wish it were that easy. Hell, I'll trade stomachs with you. I fucking hate mine.

Is that easy. Problem is, people eat until they are about to explode, and then they complain that it was because it had gluten, or too much fat, or too much carbs, or because it wasn't grass-fed organic meat with water from Alaska glaciers that you probably never heard of.

Moppet13

The benefits to having them be smaller are that finding more than 137 people who have a made-up condition is probably going to be tough.
To be fair they have a section in most every grocery store that caters almost exclusively to these people. Excluding actual Celiacs, that isle would be a good mine for more test subjects.

What I said was to imply that you were going to get pounced on. It's happened to me before, actually.

Edit: So there's no need to be hostile.

I apologize. Everytime there's been a thread on these subjects, people just go at each other and all I wanted to know was why there weren't more involved in the study, like perhaps 1,000 at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom