• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea missile launch thread for September 15. 2017

Salmonax

There won't be millions of South Korean casualties. Most likely, the only dead people will be North Koreans who didn't have the balls to protest their government's actions.

Balls? If you're even suspected of discussing government subversion in NK you and/or your family are literally sent to work in mines or killed.

To me this is the only question. If one of their rockets fails, and hits land, how does NK respond?

my guess unless an errant firing hits and kills a bunch of people, that you can't really ignore it anymore then everyone will finally do something. Until something like that sadly happens, i don't see how anyone does something outside of sanctions and other political posturing moves, there is only so much that can be done without one crazy person killing millions.

Why isn't Japan shooting these missiles down if they are entering Japan air space? Are they hoping to retrieve the missiles intact for study?

Multiple reasons,

1. Don't want to fail and show not only NK but any other threat that it isn't completely reliable
2. Study it
3. Don't want to shoot down a potentially harmless missile and then have debris actually harm people
4. They think ignoring it is better than shooting it and then NK getting crazier and crazier with their launches.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I live in northern Japan, just got the alert, and I'll take a shot at downplaying this. NK will never launch a preemptive strike, and the Japanese government is scaremongering and being irresponsible with these useless phone alerts.

It's literally just a phone and TV alert though. And in some cases sirens. Should the reaction be to do literally nothing, because that seems like what a step down in severity from a phone alert would be.

I think people have been lulled into thinking this situation is normal and that countries are meant to show infinite restraint when others fire ICBMs over their countries. What would any other nation do / what should they do if a phone alert is considered irresponsible.

Majine

Banned
There won't be millions of South Korean casualties. Most likely, the only dead people will be North Koreans who didn't have the balls to protest their government's actions.

Wow.

I'd like to see you make such obvious decisions when under the threat of having your entire family wiped out.

StayDead

Um, I'm not sure you understand the situation at all.

Do you know how much artillery NK has and where it's pointed?

Also you're insane. They don't have the balls? With what power can they protest? They have nothing. The US is filled with guns and nobody would ever try and stand up to the governement anymore as a milita. Think about NK where people are starving. If they try and protest they get sent to work camps.

I live in Yokohama and didn't get any notification. Are the alerts only sent out in northern Japan?
Lol are you like 13?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

Out of the millions of people in North Korea's history you don't think more than a handful have said "hey, why don't we do something?". Hint... those people are all dead.

Ah, the weekly neogaf freak out thread

Was wondering when the 'don't worry guys, it's just another dick measuring contest' response was coming. Let's not care that large groups of people are getting alerts to shelter in place and impacting gaffers not just in Japan but in Korea

Frost_Ace

dude... I think you should get some serious prespective on the NK situation.

M3d10n

Why does Kim want to ruin his gig that he has by turning North Korea into a parking lot killing majority of his people.

He's doing this exactly to keep the gig going on. Kim can only truly keep NK under his control as long as the population feels they are perpetually under threat of annihilation by foreign enemies.

brian577

Banned
Multiple reasons,

1. Don't want to fail and show not only NK but any other threat that it isn't completely reliable
2. Study it
3. Don't want to shoot down a potentially harmless missile and then have debris actually harm people
4. They think ignoring it is better than shooting it and then NK getting crazier and crazier with their launches.

Which is a mistake. NK won't do a thing if they shoot it down. This is the best way to slap NK in the face and demonstrate we are not playing around.

kaiju

South Korea launched ballistic missiles as response to North Korea launch

21533859_0.jpg

https://koreas.liveuamap.com/en/2017/14-september-south-korea-launched-ballistic-missiles-as-response

Dirca

Lol, because protesting solves so much. Also, why don't you go to NK and protest. Let us know how that turns out...

Piichan

Banned
I live in Yokohama and didn't get any notification. Are the alerts only sent out in northern Japan?
Only to the listed areas in the alert, which Yokohama is not. I live in Yokohama too, but did get a notification because I have a separate 防災速報 app by Yahoo installed. I advise anyone to get this app, especially if your phone is sim-free. If you have a sim- free phone, you probably won't get J-alerts. Only main carriers like Docomo, SoftBank, etc have J alerts, as far as I know.

spons

Gold Member
Out of the millions of people in North Korea's history you don't think more than a handful have said "hey, why don't we do something?". Hint... those people are all dead.

And more will die. North Korean citizens are as disposable as the nazis, because while you are all piling onto me, North Korea could launch all the missiles they want at our allied nations. They should be defended.

Do you realize how much artillery is lined up up and pointed at Seoul right now? And, do you know how quickly that payload could hit the heart of the city once launched? Or, do you know how little time those in Seoul would have to evacuate if that attack came? Minutes. It's a city of 10 million people, 25 million in the metro area.

Pretty sure there could be millions of casualties.

Dirca

And more will die. North Korean citizens are as disposable as the nazis, because while you are all piling onto me, North Korea could launch all the missiles they want at our allied nations. They should be defended.
Uh, What?

Wtf does that even mean.
Why does any of that mean war with NK wouldn't end up killing millions of South Koreans? What.

While your take is already questionable, you're conveniently ignoring that NK would immediately bomb South Korea (hint: US allies) to oblivion and kill millions if attacked.

Madness

arent missiles really expensive? >_>

Not when they're diverting US ane SK humanitarian aid to the military and Russia is exploiting NK labor ans China exploiting NK resources.

Withiut humanitarian aid propping up the regime, NK would have collapsed long ago. China is unable to sustain them like everyone thinks.

The US can vaporize Pyongyang in minutes. The problem is they will kill hundreds of thousands of South Koreans. The day SK government gives the go ahead the US will move to decapitate the head of the snake in minutes. But unless you want to kill millions of NK citizens instantly very hard to prevent a second strike of artillery and rockets into Seoul as well as a human flood into China as millions flee without their 'god'.

Not when they're diverting US ane SK humanitarian aid to the military and Russia is exploiting NK labor ans China exploiting NK resources.

Withiut humanitarian aid propping up the regime, NK would have collapsed long ago. China is unable to sustain them like everyone thinks.

And the main reason China is always pushing for talks and negotiation. The humanitarian apocalypse that would flood into the country (or try to) if a war broke out would potentially ruin them.

kattlauc

Neo Member

Haven't read anything this stupid this whole fucking year. Jesus.

Madness

And the main reason China is always pushing for talks and negotiation. The humanitarian apocalypse that would flood into the country (or try to) if a war broke out would potentially ruin them.

They also don't want a unified Korea that is a potential adversary and US ally right on their border. They would prefer a buffer.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

You should consider taking this rhetoric down a notch.

bazzaar

Neo Member
Which is a mistake. NK won't do a thing if they shoot it down. This is the best way to slap NK in the face and demonstrate we are not playing around.

Do we even know if Japan can shoot down a missile in flight?

The last I read, even the US has virtually no chance of shooting down an unannounced ICBM.

Alo0oy

Banned
Of corse they are, I'm not disagreeing with that. But as it's been said millions of times, it's them trying to Dad dick the international community. They know if they use them, they're fucked, but they're smart enough to realize that having them allows them a seat at the table out of sheer necessity.

Would it bother you so much if it was America? The OT is full of threads about American politics, but god forbid another country gets a thread once a week!

andthebeatgoeson

Lmao, that's not downplaying. Japan is not going to get nuked. It's like mutual assured destruction is a foreign concept again every time NK tests another missile.

It's fucking shit that it's happening, but the monthly panic followed by people advocating for war against NK is annoying. Not saying that you're doing that, but it's coming.
And feeding into the hysteria over NK with an unstable POTUS doesn't seem like a great idea. Too many people seem to feel that war with NK is inevitable and i just want one adult to pretend that we were rushed into war less than 15 years ago due to false pretenses and a lot of hysteria. And it didn't work out in any way.

SDCowboy

Do we even know if Japan can shoot down a missile in flight?

The last I read, even the US has virtually no chance of shooting down an unannounced ICBM.

NK can't launch an unannounced missile. The satellites are trained on their sites 24/7. I highly doubt any of these tests are not known about well before they happen.

Zoc

It's literally just a phone and TV alert though. And in some cases sirens. Should the reaction be to do literally nothing, because that seems like what a step down in severity from a phone alert would be.

I think people have been lulled into thinking this situation is normal and that countries are meant to show infinite restraint when others fire ICBMs over their countries. What would any other nation do / what should they do if a phone alert is considered irresponsible.

The problem with the alerts is that they don't have any real practical purpose. Nobody can do anything to prepare for a nuclear bomb, or even prepare for a piece of broken missile falling on their head.

Now, normally, when something goes dangerously wrong, the Japanese government does a fantastic job of covering it up and telling people that they're handling it. They're very conspicuously not doing that with this.

I think it's not unreasonable to consider that the real purpose of these alerts is to scare people and build support for Abe's anti-pacifist constitutional revisions.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
The US can vaporize Pyongyang in minutes.

Nope. US can only best NK with bringing in troops, attacking NK with missiles/nukes whatever while they all live underground will not end well for anyone.

That would just provoke them to do real attacks and you may even see China and Russia join in to help put down the US and anyone else who stands in their way.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The problem with the alerts is that they don't have any real practical purpose. Nobody can do anything to prepare for a nuclear bomb, or even prepare for a piece of broken missile falling on their head.

Now, normally, when something goes dangerously wrong, the Japanese government does a fantastic job of covering it up and telling people that they're handling it. So why are they sending out these alerts?

I think it's not unreasonable to consider that the real purpose of these alerts is to scare people and build support for Abe's anti-pacifist constitutional revisions.

At the same time there's no downplaying a hostile government launching a nuke over a large swath of your country. How do you downplay that?

Top Bottom