• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

NecrumSlavery said:
Sony is about 3mil behind 360. They closed a 9 million gap in less than 18months. MS should kiss America's ass because if they realized how bad Ms has been screwing them and then turned, Sony would come out ahead like they do everywhere else in the world.

Oh this thread is already starting to deliver the goods and we're only on page 2!

EagleEyes

NecrumSlavery said:
Sony is about 3mil behind 360. They closed a 9 million gap in less than 18months. MS should kiss America's ass because if they realized how bad Ms has been screwing them and then turned, Sony would come out ahead like they do everywhere else in the world.
You are supplying some great entertainment right now, keep it up.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Too naive. Then again, the new systems haven't caused as much innovation as they usually do. Usually there's a decent amount of new IP launched at the beginning of a system. Seems to be a nice bit for Vita, but 3DS really fell super flat there. Pretty sad...
I've read the logic behind this (new hardware = customers want new experiences) but I really can't see why developers/publishers wouldn't also consider that large user bases mean more potential sales for new IPs. And that's not even taking into account franchise fatigue.

Anyway, my derail is over.

RPGamer92

Banned
airmangataosenai said:
Also I could be wrong but isn't this the month they started that free Xbox with a laptop deal? That could explain the huge week over week leap we're seeing with no price drop/significant releases.
Would those count in the sales though?

see5harp

NecrumSlavery said:

Damn don't be so bitter.

How the hell did MS manage to beat last year's June figures (When the old hardware was price cut and the S was released). Insanity.

Looking like the PS3 / Wii sharing ~550k sales between them.

StevieP

Banned
BurntPork said:
Pahcter was wright. Nintendo did wait too long to counter Kinect. Between that and the fact that Wuu will cost twice as much as a 360 with Kinect when it releases, MS really may have stopped Nintendo in it's tracks. Maybe they should consider becoming a second-party to MS...

Because that worked out so well for Rare. Nintendo's coffers say otherwise.

Mrbob

Are we going to get any 3DS numbers? Want to see if Zelda even gave it a bump, or is the 3DS the new old PS3.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Gotta hand it to Microsoft. They've done the best job at evolving their platform over time into one that will easily have ten years of healthy sales.

Too bad the company that introduced paid online, DLC, and heinous amounts of advertising on the dash is the one that wins, but their box has been the best in enough areas that matter.

A Human Becoming said:
I'm not so sure about that. The PS3 performs well in Europe and compared to the 360, Japan.
You can be sure. We know the shipment totals, PS3 has never been ahead of 360 worldwide. And if the US market keeps going like this, it never will be either.

Jomjom

Banned
Amazing number for MS. Considering a substantial amount of those consoles sold will result in gold subscriptions, even better.

sleepykyo said:
There was price drop in June?

$100 gift cards.

There has been debate in recent months about whether the 360 would receive a significant bump at the $199 price point, since it's had an SKU (the Arcade) there forever. Question answered.

Lebron

NecrumSlavery said:
How many times have you cried yourself to sleep these past few months?

Sho_Nuff82 said:
$100 gift cards.

There has been debate in recent months about whether the 360 would receive a significant bump at the $199 price point, since it's had an SKU (the Arcade) there forever. Question answered.

Indeed.
I knew they'd get a boost, but damn.

Microsoft said:
Holding 48% share of the overall current-generation console market share

See that to me reads.

We hold 48% of the current Market

If it was for the month it would of ended this month. It didn't and went onto a new sentence

Maybe me being tired

EatChildren said:
Ha ha ha this generation is going to be around forever.

A good thing.

I will be perfectly content if the new 360 and PS3 dont come around for at least another 3 years.

Edit: I know its been mentioned but I would wager that the laptop deal has something to do with this months crazy 360 numbers.

Kusagari

NecrumSlavery said:

What is with GAF attracting PS3 fanboys?

FrankT

Psychotext said:
How the hell did MS manage to beat last year's June figures (When the old hardware was price cut and the S was released). Insanity.

Looking like the PS3 / Wii sharing ~550k sales between them.

Yea lets have that share. This might put 360 close to 28M not sure the last time I checked LTD.

Labadal said:
No wonder Microsoft are in no hurry to launch a new system.

Well, if I was Microsoft I would have one ready for next November. Ride that momentum into next gen. I don't see it happening though. Unless they plan on releasing Halo 4 on the 720 instead.

ymmv

Banned
NecrumSlavery said:
You are rounding up on MS and down on Sony. Those numbers are not true. It's onyl a 3million gap.

Despite the 360's excellent US sales, I can still see Sony overtaking the 360 in worldwide sales this year, especially after a price cut in August/September. A 200 Euro/dollar PS3 will certainly make a difference.

bigtroyjon said:
Sony has never been in second worldwide.

This. Don't know why people would think otherwise when both have been releasing sold to retailer data every quarter and MS is always at least 2 million ahead.

SpecX

GraveRobberX said:
Looks like those $299 Kinnect Bundles + $50 Gift Card paid off for MS

Also do they count those given away with the "Buy a Laptop from $699.99 and up get the 360 Bundle free?"

Also Holy Shit @ DNF @ 2, it was panned by critics everywhere, even creating the blacklist fiasco
I mean X-Play gave it a 1 out of 5, same as Big Rig Truckers....Come the FUCK ON!
I wouldn't have believed this if I didn't witness my co-worker buying some laptops for his daughters for school and taking advantage of this deal to sell this to make some money back.

Seda

Looks like software fell 12% and the decline of Wii software sales is a main reason why.

@michaelpachter
NPD figures out for June, down 12% for software, compared to my down 6% estimate. Wii software the culprit, responsible for 75% of the drop.

The Wii's lack of software is really astounding. What was NoA's reasoning for not releasing Xenoblade again?

sleepykyo

Sho_Nuff82 said:
$100 gift cards.

And what a resoundingly impressive answer it was.

Pretty surprising to see Duke that high up. Certainly it's not the greatest game in the world, but it's nice to see something new
old
in the top 10.

FunkyPajamas said:
I've read the logic behind this (new hardware = customers want new experiences) but I really can't see why developers/publishers wouldn't also consider that large user bases mean more potential sales for new IPs. And that's not even taking into account franchise fatigue.

Anyway, my derail is over.

I think it's easier to sell new IPs to publishers/funders when you can say "Well, this game isn't proven, but no games are proven on this system!" whereas now a publisher/funder for a current gen could point to Call of Duty being proven and not want them to branch out.

Kusagari said:
What is with GAF attracting PS3 fanboys?

Not fanboy. Have you ever had your favorite game nearly ruined by a company?

And I am recovering from the stresses of N4G. need a healthy place. Will keep doucheness to a minimum. Again not a fanboy

Top Bottom