• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

Good show, folks.

This thread just shows that nothing is set in stone. Too many Nintendo fans were running around here acting like Wii was a certified victory.

2007 will be the real test.

VALIS

Why this December was awesome for the industry:

1. One of the best Decembers ever in revenue.
2. Budget gaming FTW. Nicely priced PS2 with a huge library still selling like a monster.
3. 360 FTW. The next gen console with the most going for it right now is being rewarded with amazing sales.
4. Handhelds FTW. Two distinctive handhelds selling very well.

Yay. :)

sphinx

the piano man
second underwhelming NPD thread in a row:

bans, hidden numbers, completely misleading and pulled out from somebody's ass estimates announcements from companies and analysts.

I think I'll pass on this kind of hype, It used to be fun but not anymore.

Bebpo said:
So if the PSP continues to sell for years and years and years (remember it STILL HAS NO PRICE DROP) and make tons of money for Sony, but at the same time no one buys any games for some weird reason (you can't even pirate/psx with the PSPs on the shelves so uhhhh...what!?) and software just does poor to average...

And if the PS3 does the same thing (Ie, sells well for 10 years, makes Sony good profit, but one buys games)...

Where the hell does that leave Sony? I mean if all three of their systems end up continually selling well for some wierd reason without software selling well (sans PS2), and they are reaping profits and all the suits are walking around with smiles on their faces for the next 10 years...are they still doomed?

if the trend actually continues, it will definitely put a strain on third party relations. Also, a large part of revenue coming in from a console/handheld a company has out is in the money they make off the games everyone is selling on it. In fact, while a console is still losing a significant amount of money (ps3) and isnt seeing strong software sales, that is a pretty discouraging situation

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
J-Rzez said:
Not really... the PS2 is still a source of income for them, apparently larger than I thought it would still be... the PSP is selling well apparently... and the PS3 is the icing on the cake for them, as it's helping them to also establish Blu-Ray in homes, which, by last articles, with these sales pushes them to a lil' over 4x's the HD-DVD installed base...

MS had to pull the plug on the xbox because it was bleeding money out of them as long as they supported it... the PS2 on the other hand, is making them money... The PSP doesn't seem to be doing so bad either... with these two going, it's how they're funding the PS3 till it takes off I suppose...

If the PS2 does a la GBA more than a year of extra life, I can see clearly a fine entry for Sony with the PS3. Actually, those both numbers aren't that amazing, seeing how both brands are powerfull and in full boom.

The PS3 its a long long term project. I can't see big sales for the systems next year, but 2008 will be diferent. Xbox360 could make a diference this year, like the Wii. Let's see how they make their systems go wild, which software, marketting campaing, etc.

All in all, this december sales are GREAT for everyone, maybe a bit disapointing for Xbox360 and DS, because they should have done better. Xbox division will stay in red for sometime thougth, maybe Microsoft isn't really happy.

suaveric

KeithFranklin said:
Analyst said the Wii sold 1.3M in December alone. Clearly Nintendo kept the supply low to create frenzy over the Wii hoping this will translate into longer term sales in the US.

Reggie said (right around launch) that there would be 2 million Wii in NA by the first week of January. Clearly something happened along the way. There's no way they held that many Wii back just to create more buzz.

Haunted

KeithFranklin said:
Analyst said the Wii sold 1.3M in December alone. Clearly Nintendo kept the supply low to create frenzy over the Wii hoping this will translate into longer term sales in the US.
You just broke my sarcasm meter.
joke post or 'joke' post?

fernoca

Wii USA: 1.1 million
Wii Zelda: 980,700
Wii + GCN Zelda: 1.4 million (1.5 months)

Not bad at all..really glad the game is doing great...and showing legs...and surprised at Yoshi's Isalnd 2...
Weird how Final Fantasy XII completley dissapeared from the Top 10...after sellin 1.1 million last month...

A special request..if anybody could find me LTDs for MK Armageddon..I would gladly have sex with him...ehr..I mean..I would appreciate it. :)

Parl

pswii60 said:
Sheesh I thought Wii did 1.3m in Dec, all analysts projections were wrong!

Don't you know? There's a few things in this industry you listen to: Analysts, Sega and Capcom - what do you do with their information? Play a huge twiddle on it.

jimbo

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:
finally a well thought reply. THANKS. :D the thing is, again sonys problem may end up being its own success with the ps2. the price difference is so huge that some casual gamer that wants to get in with the "sony brand" cant just go and drop $600. they are more able to go and drop $129 and be able to get a crapload of great games that really have no end in sight of being released. ps2 still has at the very least another year. sony actually has competition within itself in that respect.

I am happy to say that I joined that crowd since without me, Sony would have sold only 1,399,999 PS2's last month.

But I certainly was not "trying to get in with the Sony brand". It was simply the cheapest system with the best library of games available last month which made for the best Christmas present.

Which is the fundamental reason why the Sony brand means what it means. GAF needs to learn, first those things have to happen, then the name comes. The name came because of the Playstation and PS2, not the other way around.

Striek

jimbo said:
Just how much does price matter? I repeat: the freaking PS3 sold 63% of its shipment its 2nd month after launch! Even I who expected this to happen, didn't expect it to happen so soon..
Uh, yeah...first of all it would be 68% even if you didn't want to include Canada, which is about as high as 360s shipped:sold ratio last year (not inc. Canada). Jan or Feb is when you can claim such...

Bebpo

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:
in this case thats like asking a taurus owner to move up to a GT40. come on. :) then add to that the fact that most of those old sony exclusives will be availible on the 360.

I think a lot of mainstream people will be happy with the PS2 until the PS3 drops to <$300. I think the main question is will X360 be <$200 at that point so that these PS2 mainstreamers will take the jump? The mass-market and sales and true dominance of one console over the others will happen when the consoles hit the <$200 mark. But then again, PSP still is $250 ****ing dollars and is selling nearly a million systems so what do I know...

Will be interesting to see how the PSP does when it hits $150 and $99

tehm3gatonju0.gif

Wow, really interesting numbers there.

sphinx said:
second underwhelming NPD thread in a row:

bans, hidden numbers, completely misleading and pulled out from somebody's ass estimates announcements from companies and analysts.

I think I'll pass on this kind of hype, It used to be fun but not anymore.

Yeah. It's like Console X sold 1 million estimated units during Month X. (later)Console X sold 1 million estimated units during Month W and Month X. Really lol

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Bebpo said:
Will be interesting to see how the PSP does when it hits $150 and $99

QFT. The PSP in USA has future. Not too much in Japan and Europe thought. Lame that Sony oficial numbers are shipped not sold. :(

fusoya59

wow at all the numbers. lower than expected for wii and ps3.

good news is that we can start extrapolating from these data! with my careful (and secret!) methods of analysis, i've come up with a 5:2:3 split b/w xbox360, ps3, and wii ww sold over the next 5 years.

Bebpo

Banned
meltpotato said:
if the trend actually continues, it will definitely put a strain on third party relations. Also, a large part of revenue coming in from a console/handheld a company has out is in the money they make off the games everyone is selling on it. In fact, while a console is still losing a significant amount of money (ps3) and isnt seeing strong software sales, that is a pretty discouraging situation

I agree, but if the PS3 follows the PSP it will be making money off hardware sold after a bit (I'm pretty darn sure Sony is making profit off PSP hardware at this point).

Sure it won't put them in the high green, but if they're continually making money and not losing it they aren't really dooming themselves in a business sense even though as gamers we may see them doomed from the lack of great 3rd party software. PSP is probably a winner in the eyes of Sony execs when looking at their wallets, but as gamers most can't help but feel the lineup could be a lot stronger instead of just the occasional top-class game.

jimbo

Banned
Striek said:
Uh, yeah...first of all it would be 68% even if you didn't want to include Canada, which is about as high as 360s shipped:sold ratio last year (not inc. Canada). Jan or Feb is when you can claim such...

Yes I quickly changed it to 68% when I realized such and was talking just about NA. Still don't see what you meant by the 360 comparison. I am simply talking about how price affects sales.

Leonsito

Bebpo said:
I agree, but if the PS3 follows the PSP it will be making money off hardware sold after a bit (I'm pretty darn sure Sony is making profit off PSP hardware at this point).

Sure it won't put them in the high green, but if they're continually making money and not losing it they aren't really dooming themselves in a business sense even though as gamers we may see them doomed from the lack of great 3rd party software. PSP is probably a winner in the eyes of Sony execs when looking at their wallets, but as gamers most can't help but feel the lineup could be a lot stronger instead of just the occasional top-class game.

I think I read somewhere that Sony expects that by March 2008 they will be making 5% profit off PS3.

sphinx

the piano man
I do want to add:

As much as I am a huge nintendo fan, I am kind of glad that the Wii is not that ahead in the competition.

just see how nintendo has begun to stop caring about the DS, they tried REALLY hard to get the DS ahead of the PSP with a price cut, different colors bundled with great titles, a redesign, and cool 1st party software. All of that has stopped now that DS is leading. Now no new colors, no sequels to the big names, now is up to square enix and or 3rd parties to keep the platform as the leading handheld.

Wii has A LOT to prove. We were promised a revolutionary FPS, I stillwant it . I am not sure if the controls have already been confirmed to be absolutely superior to the competitor, like some industry insiders said.

Bebpo

Banned
Leonsito said:
I think I read somewhere that Sony expects that by March 2008 they will be making 5% profit off PS3.

Yeah, it takes some time. Took some time for the PSP as well as the PS2. But if they're going to stick with the PS3 until like 2012-2015 and if it sells at least as well as the PSP, if not better, that's still going to bring in profits.

Plus they do sell some games...

Branduil said:
The PSP's problem has never been hardware sales. Those have always been fine.

Yeah, but while us gamers care about games, the bottom line for any product is how it sells. If the hardware is always fine or good, the product is a success to the company, regardless of what gamers think.

The GC was a success for Nintendo, but everyone thought they were doomed and going 3rd party and now suddenly they're selling well again. Gamers only seem to look things as doomed or not, but realistically as long as companies aren't pulling a Sega in the red for a long time they're going to be sticking around and releasing stuff with the rest of the boys forever.

sphinx said:
I do want to add:

As much as I am a huge nintendo fan, I am kind of glad that the Wii is not that ahead in the competition.

just see how nintendo has begun to stop caring about the DS, they tried REALLY hard to get the DS ahead of the PSP with a price cut, different colors bundled with great titles, a redesign, and cool 1st party software. All of that has stopped now that DS is leading. Now no new colors, no sequels to the big names, now is up to square enix and or 3rd parties to keep the platform as the leading handheld.

Wii has A LOT to prove. We were promised a revolutionary FPS, I stillwant it . I am not sure if the controls have already been confirmed to be absolutely superior to the competitor, like some industry insiders said.

SERIOUSLY? The DSL hasnt even been out a year and already has 5 colors. Yoshi Island 2 and EBA just came out and Zelda PH is on its way all while launching a brand new console.. are you out of your mind?

jimbo

Banned
Bebpo said:

Dude, even if Sony gets to a point where they make a profit off of the PS3, and then let's play pretend for a second, and say they catch up all the losses they incurr on hardware until that point......and finally begin making money off hardware......it will still be nothing compared to what a manufacturer makes off of the TOTAL amount of SOFTWARE sold.

However that's simply not going to happen. Hardcore gamers are currently buying the PS3 because they want to have the hottest new PS system, and know that eventually the system will have good games. That's why you're seeing this problem with poor software sales.....but if it continues....then you have developers shift resources, then the PS3 really won't have the games.....then that's going to cause the hardware to STOP selling.

So even if Sony could ever potentially get to the point where they are making profit off of the hardware and be happy with just that....without the games the system won't sell.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Jagernaut said:
Xb360 had a lot of special deals in December though, free games, controllers and Toysrus's $100 gift card. I can't recall any other console (that wasn't being closed out) that had so many deals fcr the holidays. With the Wii and PS3 shortages, i don't think the sales are that impressive.

I can't remember a $400.00 console ever selling so well; its tie-in is pretty good, too.

hadareud

The Translator
just looked it up out of interest and it seems that the 360 is only a fraction off the strongest xbox month ever (Dec 2004, with Halo 2 just out and at a very affordable price). 2nd strongest month.

MS has to be very pleased with these numbers. With a 100 dollar pricedrop (one would think), Halo 3 and GTA out next Christmas I guess they are going into 2007 very optimistically.

edit: I guess we can't actually post the real numbers, but it is a very small fraction indeed.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
wii is the biggest disappointment it seems. lots of analysts said it would be selling more than the 360 -- but it ended up just outselling the ps3.

psp is the surprising one for me, didn't expect it to sell so much.

VALIS

Aisenherz said:
Good numbers for PS2, PSP and PS3.
SONYs plan is runnin'

Yes, great month for PS2 and PSP, but PS3?? :lol If I told you a few months ago that in December the 360 would outsell the PS3 by more than 2:1, people would have said I was stoned out of my mind. Sony has a problem on their hands with that console right now.

Wow at the Yoshi's Island DS numbers, really sucks that EBA didn't get above 100k though. Don't quite see the sky falling for the Wii or PS3 either.

sphinx said:
I do want to add:

Nintendo always scales back development in and lets 3rd parties handle things once a system is up and running. Hating on them for that is pretty foolish.

Amir0x said:
go go GCN TP, superior edition was victorious. Good won over a slightly lesser good, for once.

Well, alot of people still prefer the traditional controls and/or are unwilling to pay 300 bucks to buy the game on another console. Before this sales thread, many fanboys would have you believe that the Gamecube version of Zelda would sell in the single digits and only a moron would want it .

Chemo

sphinx said:
I do want to add:

Joke post? Nintendo hasn't said much at ALL about their 2007 DS lineup. That doesn't mean it doesn't freaking exist.

Branduil

dynamitejim said:
Wow at the Yoshi's Island DS numbers, really sucks that EBA didn't get above 100k though. Don't quite see the sky falling for the Wii or PS3 either.

How dare you not jump to conclusions like everybody else?

Parl

PS3 will pick up when the games come. Wii will continue to be insane, and be selling out everywhere until they can sort it out; word of mouth is Nintendo's friend. Xbox 360 will be helped by great software, but new competition will hinder it; I think it'll be pretty stable, but sell more than PS3 this year.

PSP will drop like a mother******. People wanted DS' as Christmas presents. There were simply not anywhere near enough Christmas presents out of DS', so they got PSPs. Also, PSP's price obviously slows it down a bit, but not so much at Christmas. If Nintendo give NA a big chunk of DS units for Jan, you'll see DS dominate the handheld market in NA for 2007.

The end of good PSP software support is coming soon (behind the scenes. it already happened - they're making Wii titles).

PS3 is a niche market product.

DS/PS2 numbers are amazing as usual. Looks like the DS and PS2 will be #1 and #2 for most of 2007

Xbox 360: VERY impressive considering the price.

PS3: Not impressive, but of course shortages played a role. It's going to be really interesting to see how it preforms Feb-June

Wii: Ug...what? How many were shipped this month? I thought it was like 1mil or something

PSP: Reminds me of the huge surges the Gamecube would get around this time. The system's ability to keep any momentum is yet to be seen

kamikaze

Wraith said:
Does anyone have accurate worldwide numbers with this data?

why don't you check vg***rts.org. :lol

here's the LTD numbers for north america according to them (vs. NPD's US LTD #s).

360 = 5.38M (vs. 4.5M)
wii = 1.86M (vs. 1.1 M)
ps3 = 0.86M (vs. 0.687M)

do canada and mexico really buy that many systems? :)

Chiggs

Gold Member
VALIS said:
Sony has a problem on their hands with that console right now.

Yeah, it's called the price, and I have sinking feeling they might end up being very stubborn about it. Personally, I hope they kneejerk and drop the price within 3-6 months.

Warning: Anecdotal Evidence Ahoy!

Seriously, damn near everybody at my office--mom's, bachelor's, etc---HATE the price. And just like most forums, nobody even brings up the $500.00 model (or, the Poo-Poo version). A few of my friends, diehard Sony fans, won't even touch the thing until it's around $400.00--they're perfectly content with their PS2's and PSP's. There is a problem indeed; let's see if some new software helps it out.

J-Rzez

MobiusPigeon said:
in this case thats like asking a taurus owner to move up to a GT40. come on. :) then add to that the fact that most of those old sony exclusives will be availible on the 360.

Naw-naw... not instantly my man... I'm talking a lil' down the road... maybe a year, maybe two... the price will be down a bit from then most likely... It's already happened from the PS1 to the PS2... there will be people that do this as well, maybe more-so when the price drops... but still...

andthebeatgoeson

sphinx said:
I do want to add:

Well, that made me say wow. All the colors, DSL, NSMB, Wario, Metroid Hunters, most people complaining that Nintendo games overdominate and you think they have stopped caring? What crappy games are you playing? I'm sure we can recommend a few. What else do you want?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Disappointed in the Wii #s, but I guess that's all a problem in the shipping. Really hoping to see this system take off pretty hardcore, if only to hear the cries of the graphic whores. Nice to see the 360 doing very well, thus insuring lots of quality content and more PS3 exclusives switching over, and really happy for Yoshi's Island 2, I didn't think it would have sold THAT well. Shocked that people are still buying PS2s, get with the times folks!

KINGMOKU

fernoca said:
Wii USA: 1.1 million
Wii Zelda: 980,700
Wii + GCN Zelda: 1.4 million (1.5 months)

Not bad at all..really glad the game is doing great...and showing legs...and surprised at Yoshi's Isalnd 2...
Weird how Final Fantasy XII completley dissapeared from the Top 10...after sellin 1.1 million last month...

A special request..if anybody could find me LTDs for MK Armageddon..I would gladly have sex with him...ehr..I mean..I would appreciate it. :)
The numbers are not correct for the Wii this month, period.

Something got screwed up.

There is no way only 1.1million wii's are in homes, alongside 1million zelda.

The wii numbers are not correct.

Top Bottom