• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2013 [Up5: Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Official PS3/WiiU]

Gartooth

3rd place trophy? Is that really how you view this? Okay then......

It's just a dumb remark in my angry spiel, what I meant is that they are running the risk of being left in the dust and suffering another Gamecube.

At this point they should focus on putting out their well known stable of IPs at a quicker pace, it probably won't alter the fate of the console, but it will keep it from sinking any deeper.

Jburton

Banned
I'll gladly take GameCube numbers at this point.

At least it isn't the Vita. How the hell that machine is still going I'll never know.

The Vita is even worse, goes without saying .......... Only difference is that there is far less riding on the Vita than the Wii U.

Mario and Zelda games will lift numbers, to about GameCube levels if they are lucky ....... Wii numbers are gone, won't even reach half of that.

big youth

Already some good answers but I think the entire premise that Nintendo isn't supporting Wii U is false. Look at the Wii U games of 2013 thread then factor in unannounced games from the likes of Retro

Jburton

Banned
Already some good answers but I think the entire premise that Nintendo isn't supporting Wii U is false. Look at the Wii U games of 2013 thread then factor in unannounced games from the likes of Retro

The thing is even if Nintendo reach GameCube numbers it will be considered a flop in the eyes of investors / analysts and the market in general.

Compared to Wii numbers it will always look like a flop.

CronoShot

Not happy that Fire Emblem didn't chart, but it seemed to do decent numbers anyway, so that's good. I actually contributed two (a hard copy and a bundle).

Poor Wii U. Nintendo has no one to blame but themselves though. I have no idea who their target audience is supposed to be.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ni no Kuni sold like an additional 50k in Feb.

Also, that's just the breaks with AAA games. That's why Darksiders 2 was a massive bomb despite selling like 300k-400k.

Darksiders did 247K in its opening actually.

I suspect Dead Space 3 was below expectations, but I wouldn't really consider this a failure.

I do expect the series to sit in development longer than normal though as they search for a design that will sell more.

PhantomR

Banned
God Nintendo. Thing needs a price cut, but I'm not sure that would even help much.

I want them to do well but this isn't looking good. At all.

It'll be fine as more games get released. No need for a price cut, just games. And they're right around the corner.

It'll be fine as more games get released. No need for a price cut, just games. And they're right around the corner.

"Right around the corner" being the summer, as Iwata has explicitly stated in the last investor QA session. They don't plan on doing anything big until then.

That's all that they can really do at this point, as the software simply isn't ready. So I don't expect any significant shifts until then.

CronoShot

lookingaround.gif

Drago

I highly doubt that Lego, MonHun, and a full price late port (no matter if it's quality or not) will give the system a substantial boost. And then what after that? Wario? That won't really help either...

jayu26

Conditions that need to be met:
  • Nintendo systems = 455K (Nintendo)
  • Sony systems = XBOX 360 + 7K (creamsugar)
  • XBOX 360 = 41% (Microsoft)
  • Systems up on weekly average basis. (NPD)
  • 3DS -27% Y/Y
Officially confirmed:
Xbox 360 = 302K

More creamsugar:
Wii U = 66K
PSV = 38K

My final take to meet all the conditions:

360 = 302K
PS3 = 262K
3DS = 189K
NDS = 101K
WII = 99K
WIU = 66K
PSV = 38K
PSP =9K

Man WII at 99K is bumming me out....or am I crazy for thinking like that?

Is there a place I can look at to compare sales charts from Europe and Japan with NPD? (for both software and hardware)

DaBoss

I personally think the biggest mistake of the Wii U is that it has a strong Japanese focus when it was created. It has a small form factor which Japanese seems to care about space used. Low power usage which Japanese also seems to care about. The sharing the TV is due to there usually being one TV in Japanese households (though sharing a TV for multiple purposes is common in the west).

I think it needed more of an international appeal to it. They should really put someone in NOA/NOE that they will let them have a say about Nintendo's future platforms.

jayu26

I personally think the biggest mistake of the Wii U is that it has a strong Japanese focus when it was created. It has a small form factor which Japanese seems to care about space used. Low power usage which Japanese also seems to care about. The sharing the TV is due to there usually being one TV in Japanese households (though sharing a TV for multiple purposes is common in the west).

I think it needed more of an international appeal to it. They should really put someone in NOA/NOE that they will let them have a say about Nintendo's future platforms.

But its not selling in Japan either!

I see a lot of excitement for Sly. I'm assuming it's a relatively low budget title (I literally know nothing about it) as ~100k - ~ 120k isn't exactly blowing the doors off.

Striek

Seems to be spot on. Glad we got something this month. Depending on the GOWs, especially since the Sony one has a hot red bundle and is advertising it pretty heavily, and how Infinite affects sales, the numbers could be REALLY close next month. Will be interesting to watch.

I'm not really sure why the PS3 did so well this month, but I don't think established IPs and/or games that don't break new territory really sell systems at this point in the lifecycles, so I expect a similar delta next month.

Me too. I wish we got exact numbers for it but seeing its name there still makes me happy. Hopefully, this leads to a sequel.

I've personally been saying that sly4 had the HD collection marketing push. I mean, nothing pushes a game to the forefront of consumers mind than a pre-release retail title sitting on shelf screaming "sly cooper 1-3 HD".

why are you guys surprised MGSR isn't selling more? I didn't get it off the demo. and I love MGS.

Platinum hasn't had a mega hit and rides on their hardcore niche games - not that its bad, but they don't sell heaps. Vocal fans and all that... As for bayonetta 2? Sent to die. You just wait. But oh well, Nintendo funded it - otherwise it won't exist.

I wonder what kind of hardware numbers Pikmin will shift. If its still hovering below 100k at that point I think all but the most diehard will probably accept the fate of the platform.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm not really sure why the PS3 did so well this month, but I don't think established IPs and/or games that don't break new territory really sell systems at this point in the lifecycles, so I expect a similar delta next month.
Maybe all the playstation news helped boost sales? Though I thought that would have the opposite effect.

Drago

I see a lot of excitement for Sly. I'm assuming it's a relatively low budget title (I literally know nothing about it) as ~100k - ~ 120k isn't exactly blowing the doors off.

The fact that it sold well despite literally zero advertising and it being a sequel to a 7 year dormant platforming franchise is why I'm so impressed. I'm hoping it still sells well beyond this month, but we'll see...

Darksiders did 247K in its opening actually.

I suspect Dead Space 3 was below expectations, but I wouldn't really consider this a failure.

I do expect the series to sit in development longer than normal though as they search for a design that will sell more.

It's very hard to pick failures and successes apart because every game has different budgets, expectations, etc. To use an example, Sly 4 may be seen as a success, after all it is the best opening a Sly game has had ever, while at the same time a game that sold 6 times as much could be seen as a failure from EA's perspective given the money and marketing thrown behind it. The truth as you somewhat alluded it to is probably somewhere in the middle for nearly every title that released this last month. I think most studios are okay with the sales they got, but wish they could have got more.

Which brings me to an off the wall question, but isn't it time that studios try to capitalize on the front loaded release of games by offering sales during the first week? I think this works great for movies and even music, I never understood why they wouldn't do this for games. I say this now because I think many people have been burned one too many times with a game dropping in price within a month or 2 of release, and I really believe many consumers are just sitting on their hands waiting for a cheaper price. The problem is guess what is available in abundant quantities and cheaper at that point? Used games.

donny2112

It did better in Japan (~200k LTD?), but it's still a steep decline over previous iterations. It doesn't make any business sense to keep releasing BA games if that's the type of sales that it's gonna get.

From reading the Iwata Asks on it, I get the impression that Iwata and Dr. Kawashima have sort of a camaraderie between them that plays into the game being given a greenlight. For example, the only reason they started a Brain Age 3 was because Dr. Kawashima had an idea for a new type of training that he wanted to use on the Japanese Winter Olympic athletes in the Skeleton event, so he went to Nintendo and asked them to make it for him. Once they had that, they started experimenting with more ideas (even using his brain blood flow helmet device to confirm that the exercises were hitting the right parts of the brain) and worked it into the format they did now. They put a lot of care to get the character of Dr. Kawashima in the game "just right" to be encouraging, so the player will keep trying instead of getting frustrated and stopping, since the game is pretty hard. A game-wide achievement system is in place to encourage you to keep going. Many of the fun exercises from Brain Age 1/2 reappear under the supplemental and Brain Training sections. In Japan, you could even choose to share your results for the first 30 days over SpotPass with Dr. Kawashima's University directly to help their studies of how continued training affected brain functions.

This game really seemed more like a personal project (like Electroplankton) than a "we need this to sell millions" project. From that sense, they probably are fine with the Japanese sales (can't see how < 5K first month could be anything but disappointing for retail in the U.S., though), and whether there's another really depends on Dr. Kawashima's area(s) of research than on internal Nintendo directives.

If they really wanted to make this more of a casual hit, then they probably should've gone with the iOS nickel-and-dime method of charging $0.99 for the first training (or just outright F2P), and then making everything else add-on content. If they wanted to go that route, that'd work, but it's just a personal thing that I'd rather buy the whole game up front than have these nebulous extra fees hanging around after purchasing to get the full game. Like you said, if I wanted to keep the games going (if there are even to be more), I should be okay with whatever the market is dictating to get there, though.

Maybe all the playstation news helped boost sales? Though I thought that would have the opposite effect.

I think some of the games might've helped. Metal Gear is a franchise mostly associated with Playstation after-all and it appears that this game sold best on PS3. That and Sly could explain a modest boost, it's not like it sold ridiculously well anyway. It sold close to the expected boost you'd normally get between January and February.

AniHawk

I wonder what kind of hardware numbers Pikmin will shift. If its still hovering below 100k at that point I think all but the most diehard will probably accept the fate of the platform.

pikmin won't move hardware. pikmin's only time to move hardware might have been right after launch when the system could have used a little bit of the spotlight via game advertisements.

jayu26

Seems to be spot on. Glad we got something this month. Depending on the GOWs, especially since the Sony one has a hot red bundle and is advertising it pretty heavily, and how Infinite affects sales, the numbers could be REALLY close next month. Will be interesting to watch.

Gears will out sell God of War by a fair margin (my guess). 360 exclusives tend to do that and also 360 gamers are probably not saving for likes of Last of Us.

KalBalboa

Banned

Yeah, it couldn't have cost much. The $40 price tag is appreciated and proves mid-tier devs can make a few bones, still.

Anth0ny

So Brain Age is dead as fuck. That's one casual juggernaut from last gen that couldn't make the jump between gens.

I predict Wii Fit is next. I wonder when Nintendo will... announce a release date...

Dalthien

It's still down 25% from Feb 2012. It was just ugly YOY for everything this month.

Gorillaz

So the ps4 meeting possibly helped bump the sales of the ps3? Isn't it usually the other way around? There isn't anything really big out in February ps3 wise....That's kind of interesting lol.

I highly doubt that Lego, MonHun, and a full price late port (no matter if it's quality or not) will give the system a substantial boost. And then what after that? Wario? That won't really help either...

I dunno I am really feeling good about software being the key
I don't see a reason why March will not be a boost for Wii U

the most dire image is being painted on these 4 months as it was the worst launch ever yet it is on track with current gen launches

here we are into 5 months next week it will be a very interesting April May June to see if Nintendo has a plan at all

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I usually don't like to get into this shit but...

What has Nintendo been doing console side for the past few years? Even during the Wii's drought? Were all hands on deck for the 3DS leaving the Wii U development side vacant? It doesn't make sense.

They're finding out just how much different HD development is.

Basically what the rest of the industry went through in 2006/2007, Nintendo is going through in 2013.

So with the best educated guess for the Wii U around 67K, combined with that tweet with someone saying the Wii U was "way under 80K" points to that 67K probably being the most "optimistic" level.

And if that is the most optimistic number, God help Nintendo. 15K a week in the US is going to cause third party to start cancelling projects soon (if they haven't already).

Anth0ny

So with the best educated guess for the Wii U around 67K, combined with that tweet with someone saying the Wii U was "way under 80K" points to that 67K probably being the most "optimistic" level.

And if that is the most optimistic number, God help Nintendo. 15K a week in the US is going to cause third party to start cancelling projects soon (if they haven't already).

Apparently they have.

It's not looking good at all right now. They need to start cranking out first party games asap.

Dalthien

There's nothing optimistic or pessimistic about it. That's the number (a shitty number - but there's no need to worry (or hope) that it might be even lower). Creamsugar already confirmed it at 66k, and if you don't want to believe him, NPD already said it was up more than 40% weekly over January, which puts it at >64k.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Fuck me I wanted Rising to do better than that. At least it looks to be on it's way to out perform DmC though, which is nice. I'm glad the rest of the world wanted some of that Rising loving. My USA countrymen disappoint. *sigh*

*Sees NinoKuni outsold DmC for the month*

M3KNT.gif

And the DmC Karma-Train keeps on chuggin'.

They're finding out just how much different HD development is.

Basically what the rest of the industry went through in 2006/2007, Nintendo is going through in 2013.

They had more than enough time to prepare for the HD shift!

It's ridiculous that they launched so half cocked, and they really only have themselves to blame.

Top Bottom