• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2013 [Up5: Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Official PS3/WiiU]

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Seeing MGR tank almost makes me think that gamers really can still pick them (terrible camera, terrible pacing, terrible length)... and then I see DS3 is #1 and somehow the Aliens game is up there too :/

You're an awful human being.

If Crysis 3 could only do 260K then that reflects badly on everything else below it that came out last month, especially Aliens and MGR. That EA tweet wasn't off the mark after all.

210,000 for MGR. Should have done better. Disappointed in NA. At least Japan and Europe picked up the slack.

Truespeed

Thats just laughable. It gets within 40K one month and now Microsoft should be very afraid. The 360 just destroyed the PS3 over the 2 holiday months by over a million units. Its up to almost a 15 million lead here in NA. I dont think Microsoft is worried about anything here.

You have a point. Microsoft should be more concerned about the inferior specs in their next generation console.

DmC released last month for 187,000.

It sold less than 50,000 this month, outsold by Ni No Kuni.

Warms my cold dead heart to see such justice served. I'm also glad that DS3 did well. It isn't as great as DS2 but it's still a good game and I would love to see a fourth entry.

Brashnir

I don't think Sony was worried with the Ps2 either. And the Ps2's lead over the original Xbox was more dramatic.

The US market doesn't mind to switch. Sony could overtake the US market again. I don't see why not.

Sony certainly could overtake MS in the US next gen.

These numbers, however, have absolutely nothing to do with it. Momentum across generations is virtually non-existent.

AzaK

Reading some older pages and i came across this, it´s exactly how i feel. The Wii was an anomaly, needs to be studied, and probably a one hit only type of event.

Every other generation shift was based on powerfull hardware, and with PS4/Durango it will be just like this. Only possible bump on the road is with the theory of diminishing returns and early software not looking leaps and bounds better than current gen, but i still don´t think it will be the case.
Thing is, traditionally gaming was niche and male so tech was more important. Gaming is so much broader now and that's what Nintendo want. Sure, focussing on tech like Sony has will get you the core market by default which isn't small but Nintendo want bigger. That casual market is also more profitable and less demanding.

bryehn

Thing is, traditionally gaming was niche and male so tech was more important. Gaming is so much broader now and that's what Nintendo want. Sure, focussing on tech like Sony has will get you the core market by default which isn't small but Nintendo want bigger. That casual market is also more profitable and less demanding.

And currently playing games on their phones, tablets and iPods.

flattie

These numbers, however, have absolutely nothing to do with it. Momentum across generations is virtually non-existent.

This is the first generational shift which will feature online platforms, which to some (as yet unknown) degree, will bridge the older and newer hardware. That isn't something which should just be brushed aside in favour of citing historical precedence.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Where did you get 210,000 from? Japan definitely picked up the slack but that market alone won't save it, and we've got no numbers for Europe yet.

Huh? We've had UK numbers for weeks now, I thought. Those combined really aren't too bad. Considering what Platinum did with the 18 months they had on the project, I don't think the budget was that high. Certainly not more than DmC.

210,000 was a number thrown around earlier in the thread. cream sugar said above 190,000 and John Harker said it was 210,000.

Brashnir

This is the first generational shift which will feature online platforms, which to some (as yet unknown) degree, will bridge the older and newer hardware. That isn't something which should just be brushed aside in favour of citing historical precedence.

That's a fair point.

However this month's console sales numbers still mean basically nothing when it comes to online accounts across platforms.

Deuterium

Holy Crap...who would ever have predicted, at the beginning of this generation, that Microsoft would be the last man standing when it came to the official press release after NPD announcement??

Did Sony and Nintendo just say "ahh fuck it" this month?

Holy Crap...who would ever have predicted, at the beginning of this generation, that Microsoft would be the last man standing when it came to the official press release after NPD announcement??
Does Sony still do PR releases in other places of the world (media create threads - South East Asia sales / Yurop Sonyland)?

Huh? We've had UK numbers for weeks now, I thought. Those combined really aren't too bad. Considering what Platinum did with the 18 months they had on the project, I don't think the budget was that high. Certainly not more than DmC.

210,000 was a number thrown around earlier in the thread. cream sugar said above 190,000 and John Harker said it was 210,000.

That's not Europe, that's just the UK, and we don't know UK numbers either, just the chart placements. And I don't know what DmC has to do with anything. How MGR did relative to another hack 'n slasher doesn't change anything - if 210,000 is the best case scenario then even so, that's not very good for a game with the Metal Gear name attached to it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's not Europe, that's just the UK, and we don't know UK numbers either, just the chart placements. And I don't know what DmC has to do with anything. How MGR did relative to another hack 'n slasher doesn't change anything - if 210,000 is the best case scenario then even so, that's not very good for a game with the Metal Gear name attached to it.

How much did Peace Walker sell? How much did Metal Gear Acid sell?

It's not a Metal Gear Solid game. I think that makes a pretty big difference.

Platinum Games was brought in as a fixer. They worked on a broken game with a loose concept and turned it into a charting seller that plays very well. I don't think that anyone was projecting or expecting Metal Gear Solid numbers.

Korigama

You were expecting MGS numbers for something that doesn't play like those games then?

Z3M0G

I'm at my buddies place watching random miiverse posts by people on the main menu. It got me thinking...

Could sales of the wiiu end up being so bad that they would need to shut down miiverse? There are staff who are screening every post/drawing that people are constantly submitting. What if paying these people stops being feasable at some point?

I'm at my buddies place watching random miiverse posts by people on the main menu. It got me thinking...

Could sales of the wiiu end up being so bad that they would need to shut down miiverse? There are staff who are screening every post/drawing that people are constantly submitting. What if paying these people stops being feasable at some point?
No, Reggie will just be demoted to Miiverse moderator as his part-time job to save costs.

Sissel

2jvHHm2.png
lol that's great. and twisted.

You have a point. Microsoft should be more concerned about the inferior specs in their next generation console.

I think next gen, even with the specs, it will look quite comparable to ps4. Especially multiplatforms. Ps4 can just do more (if durango doens't up specs) and their 1st party stuff will look amazing

Verendus

Banned
You were expecting MGS numbers for something that doesn't play like those games then?
Personally, I was expecting good numbers. Not Metal Gear Solid numbers since that's looking at 5+ million and is a ridiculous expectation for a game without its iconic hero, but I thought the game would have a reasonable shot at going over 2 million at least. It's the first Metal Gear game on consoles since 2008, and it was on the 360 this time too. From the looks of it, it's probably going to limp to over a million. It's a pretty poor showing really.

Though, I don't think Konami will be in a position to complain about anything considering the disastrous development of this title before having to hand it over to Platinum.

How much did Peace Walker sell? How much did Metal Gear Acid sell?

It's not a Metal Gear Solid game. I think that makes a pretty big difference.

Platinum Games was brought in as a fixer. They worked on a broken game with a loose concept and turned it into a charting seller that plays very well. I don't think that anyone was projecting or expecting Metal Gear Solid numbers.

I don't know how well those handheld exclusives with undoubtedly smaller budgets sold. Probably a lot better than they would have if they didn't have the 'Metal Gear' name attached to them.

I know it's not a Metal Gear Solid game. It's a Metal Gear game, ergo it takes place in the same world and features recurring characters, and Konami put the weight of that IP behind Rising in the hope that a recognisable name would turn more heads. The game did indeed sell and it did indeed chart, it just didn't do either very well where the U.S. is concerned it seems.

Never said I was expecting MGS numbers. I was just expecting better than the best case scenario figure of 210,000.

Sissel

Personally, I was expecting good numbers. Not Metal Gear Solid numbers since that's looking at 5+ million and is a ridiculous expectation for a game without its iconic hero, but I thought the game would have a reasonable shot at going over 2 million at least. It's the first Metal Gear game on consoles since 2008, and it was on the 360 this time too. From the looks of it, it's probably going to limp to over a million. It's a pretty poor showing really.

Though, I don't think Konami will be in a position to complain about anything considering the disastrous development of this title before having to hand it over to Platinum.
It never really looked that good though. This is coming from someone who didn't play it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It never really looked that good though. This is coming from someone who didn't play it.

It's actually pretty fantastic. You should check out some gameplay videos or play the demo. There's a reason a lot of GAFfers were excited to play it.

Never said I was expecting MGS numbers. I was just expecting better than the best case scenario figure of 210,000.

I was hoping for something in the upper 200K range, personally. But yes, it should have sold better, either as a Metal Gear title or not.

dat Japan

Seems hardcore gamers were hungry for a real game over there. Douches are content with their mediocre shootbangs this side of the pond.

Yes, but the majority of gamers who are close to 25 - lived though a more Halo/COD centric gaming landscape, over the past 12 years. They approximate that experience as their gaming investment. Kids, preteens and teens are currently approximating COD and BF as their formative gaming experiences.

I'd argue many more are as engaged with Angry Birds, than they are Mario - and hence, Mario's appeal and Nintendo's siren song won't have a certain nostalgia - in years going forward.

I'd argue, that's already becoming evident, in the Western Hemisphere.

It saddens me that the gaming landscape is coming to this.

Games like Dragons Dogma, Fire Emblem Awakening, Sly Cooper or MG:R should appeal in a perfect world - but those experiences aren't familiar to a large demographic, in a way they once were.

I'm not sure that's true. momentum from the ps2 is the only reason Sony got away with charging 600 for a console.

anyone else including MS or Nintendo would have been the next 3D0 had they tried that

I'm not sure that's true. momentum from the ps2 is the only reason Sony got away with charging 600 for a console.

anyone else including MS or Nintendo would have been the next 3D0 had they tried that

PS3 Launch numbers dropped pretty significantly though especially when compared to PS2. I don't think Sony ever 'got away' with the $599 price.

That's an understatement. Momentum from the PS2 is the only reason PS3's disastrous launch was at all salvageable, because it's what led third parties to invest so much in development for the platform before it even launched.

Drago

your vita number is too high, no vita game came that close to 22k
Would 10k > Sly be more appropriate?

that can't be right or it wouldn't have made it into the top 10

We know from creamsugar that Sly altogether sold more than standalone Fire Emblem (95k) bit it sold less than the Fire Emblem standalone + bundle number (117k), the bundle didn't count towards the NPD number so Sly charted but Fire Emblem didn't.

What I don't understand is how, Nintendo is:

1) Managing a handheld (3DS) which is doing great. In Japan, yes. I would say it's doing acceptable in the west

Acceptable compared to what?

2) Possessing a console (The Wii U) which had a successful launch that sold slightly over 3 million world wide during the holiday season; more than both the X360 and the PS3 did in their respective launches. So you don't think the WiiU sales are horrible? Not saying they can't turn it around, but right now sales are horrible.

I'm talking about the holiday season. Not right now, obviously.

3) Hiring more developers in not only Japan, but the US as well. This includes developers from studios such as Naughty Dog and Vigil Games to name a few Development companies hires developers. News at 11

4) Nintendo building brand new corporate buildings to host entirely brand new development studios If true, this is good

So, you don't even know half of the facts I'm telling you:
http://nintendoscene.com/2011/07/04/nintendo-building-new-rd-offices-near-hq-in-kyoto-japan/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511321

and

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/12/4089612/shigeru-miyamoto-interview-wii-u-3ds

5) Majority of 3rd party developers saying nothing but good things about the Wii U. And yet we see nothing from them. The games aren't there and more often than not multiplat games run better on 360/PS3.

a) It's only been two months, OK?
b) Consoles don't operate like your home PC. Saying the games run "better" says little of the hardware and more to do with the fact that the ports were rushed. Ubisoft's garbage PC port of Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition ran WORSE than the PS2 version. Does that mean my PC couldn't keep up with the PS2?

...Yet, Nintendo is doomed - but, somehow, Sony, who is:

1) Losing investors immediately after the PS4 unveiling. Not sure what you mean by losing investors, I think you mean the backlash after the February event. Investors want to see more. An ecosystem like itunes and google play and tablets. No console either makes investors nervous.

You don't know what I mean, because you don't understand anything about stocks and investors. When investors bail, it means they sell off all of their shares.

http://japandailypress.com/sony-stock-shares-fall-in-wake-of-playstation-4-announcement-2123829

and

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122276-Sony-Stock-Drops-After-PS4-Event

Also, there's no money in the tablet/smart phone market for developers. Going in that route would be suicide for a lot of these companies.

2) Selling off corporate assets such as separate smaller companies under their umbrella and whole corporate buildings. Yep, they need the cash now and those buildings were too big for them at this point.

That's a sign of trouble.

3) Laying off workers. Yep, need to save some money, they were bleeding. Trim the fat.

You're not denying these things....

4) Shutting down development studios Shutting down some studios while others expand. ND is constantly hiring as is SP. Cambridge got merged with GG. Most of Liverpool's folks went to Evolution.

Means nothing if you're still laying off workers and shutting down development studios.

5) Reporting billion dollar loses year after year (for 5 years in a row) Yep, pretty bad, some of it has more to do with taxes rather than just poor performance, but still pretty bad.

It has more to do than just taxes, and taxes isn't even the major problem here. Taxes are actually the least of the problems Sony had.

6) Losing relevancy in their stock Sony's ADR is up 55% YTD, some analyst companies have upgraded SNE from SELL to HOLD and others have gone from NEUTRAL to BUY
Yeah... No.
http://phys.org/news/2013-02-sony-playstation_1_2.html

7) Undergoing severe restructuring They are in deep shit like you said in your other points, how is this not necessary

Never said it wasn't necessary. However, it's clear you got my point and you agree with it.

Somehow, Sony is doing great! They don't show any signs of going 3rd party or even disappearing off the face of the map. Does this make any sense to you? It doesn't make any sense to me!

And who says Sony is doing great? We have been hearing for the past 2 years how Sony is gonna go bankrupt, how Apple is gonna buy them, how SPE is being sold, how SME is being sold, how they'll be out of the gaming division come next generation, etc etc etc

Ok. Then I think we're done here.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
that can't be right or it wouldn't have made it into the top 10

Sly is #9 while Fire Emblem did 117K at retail and didn't make it

can someone else verify that 117k retail for FE?

edit:

ahh, got it. the post below explains the discrepancy I was seeing.

PS3 Launch numbers dropped pretty significantly though especially when compared to PS2. I don't think Sony ever 'got away' with the $599 price.

right now they're tied ww or possibly leading the 360. that's a far, far better outcome than they deserved launching at that price, honestly.

Top Bottom