• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

I'm kind of wondering why Microsoft is bundling in Forza/Titanfall now. Sales seem to be doing well enough?

I was questioning the bundle myself. But then I remembered that MS completely owned the US, sometimes with 4x the sales of the PS3. So yet another month where they fall behind instead of catch up, even if it isn't as bad as january, is still pretty bad.

Hence... bundles.

Chobel

And yet we still don't have any PR from MS. MS don't even need to spin these numbers, they are that good.

EDIT: already posted, my bad.

Capella

Ton of stock? Hardly. They announced 3m sell through end of the year. Since then 145k in Jan and 260k~ in Feb, that's over 400k in US alone. Given US is 2:1 to the other 12 launch countries it's wise to estimate 200k sold there. This puts sales at 3.6m~ going into march, 300k on shelves across the globe is paltry.
Do you think MS stopped manufacturing and shipping consoles? They've probably shipped more than the 3.9 million they announced by now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder what was the top individual sku. Thief for PS4 perhaps ?

Doubt it was top SKU, but the PS4 version of Thief sold the most.

The sales of last-gen version were terrible, I hear.

"With Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined, the Xbox platform sold more hardware than any other home console platform" ...weird spin...

Unless they're trying to say that they sold more than "PlayStation" home consoles?
I really doubt we see another WW figure from MS until E3.
They'll post a new shipment number at next quarterly report.

Why would you buy a XB1 before Titanfall is released? It's not like XB1 is in short supply

there are probably many buyers who didn't know about the bundle that bought systems in anticipation.

If their return policy is pretty much the same with Canada, yes, you can return your console granted that it's not opened.

I pretty sure sure you can return the console even if it's opened, you just need to make sure all the packaging is still there. it's usually 30days

TomShoe

Banned
As a side note I feel Square Enix should re-evaluate how they're handling the Final Fantasy brand.

I realize this is a spin-off, but still it's a Final Fantasy console game with a number in it, so this is kind of pathetic.

They should just make Bravely Default their main game. It certainly doesn't suffer from the acute case of sequelitis the FF series has now.

Averon

Great numbers for PS4/XB1.

Given how adament some people were, I thought console gaming would be doomed by now. That the PS4 and XB1 will collapse like the Wii U did once early adopters were finished buying their share.

So much for that.

MS, you can announce the X1 surpassed 4 mil any day now.

They haven't.

As of Dec. 31 they were at 3 million. At the end of Jan, they did 140k in NA, and let's assume 140k elsewhere (generous amount), that's 3.30 or so. They now did 258k and again, let's be very generous and say they did 258k elsewhere for Feb, that's 3.8 million at most, imo. They'll probably hit it in March though, right around when Sony announces 7 million+

Faustek

Chartz is no more accurate than your random, average, nobody GAFfer prediction. DO NOT fool yourself into thinking they have ANY credibility.

Just quoting you yo say one thing.

I love you. Proceed with whatever.

Ha ha ha. Very funny.

Please localize DQ7 Squeenix or Nintendo I need it in my veins!

Ask Europe has it feels about "Dragon Warrior VII".

Hint: We're still waiting for an official release :|

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
PS4 is basically selling what's available. I would still think it's going to lead next month and yes, people are sleeping on the Infamous/Metal Gear combo.

I agree. MS might have the edge but it's not going to be the landslide people think it's going to be.

Good for MS. It's nice to have some competition in the console industry. That being said, I was hoping they would have another dismal showing so they would announce a price drop ASAP. I'd be all over that.

Zalman

Microsoft will seriously need to reconsider their strategy if they're not number 1 in March with such a hyped up exclusive.

I wonder how much of the drop in software sales is from digital distribution?

It doesn't seem to make much sense to have hardware sales growing fast but software dropping. They are not using those new consoles as paper weights or doorstops. So I suspect people are buying digital a bit more nowadays.

Guymelef

February NPD Group figures released today showed that Xbox One continues selling at a record-breaking pace with 258,000 units sold in the U.S. in the month of February, surpassing Xbox 360 sales by over 61 percent at the same point in time.

I have the 100 metres sprint record... in my house.

Should be ~124K for PS3+Wii, based on that 43% remark.

Curious if despite better than expected performance Wii U still ended up worst selling home console platform besides the Wii.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
As a side note I feel Square Enix should re-evaluate how they're handling the Final Fantasy brand.

I realize this is a spin-off, but still it's a Final Fantasy console game with a number in it, so this is kind of pathetic.

Well when you release two sequels to a lukewarm game... this is what happens.

Oregano

I think the fact that Bravely Default did similarily to it is what they should really pay attention to.

Related to this what do you think BD's performance in the US means for the franchise considering your speculation that they were expecting growth for the sequel?

I think people understand when they are told the PS4 is supply constrained, it's been said often enough before today. Jesus relax people, both systems did well, it's a good thing.

wotta

Its not,people already mention their stores is getting good stock and amazon is instock again after selling out.

PS4 has MLB at the beginning of ?May, plus Watch Dogs seems to be more associated with PS4 through advertising etc, so it seems the upper hand will be with Sony after this week in terms of releases, although Titanfall could remain strong for MS.

Microsoft might sneak by in March, but it's the last month in 2014 where they have a chance to. Sony will sweep the rest of the year, barring a surprise Kinectless Sku/price drop at E3.

I see MS beating Sony in the U.S this year in LTD. If the xbox one is $400 before the holidays,i see MS winning the holidays and LTD.

That's fine and all, but for someone that simply wants to play games I'm not sure why it can't be sold without the peripheral. I don't need voice commands to start up games or browse marketplaces and such. I'm just wondering why the OS would need a revamp or an overhaul just because they'd be offering the console without Kinect.

I'm not arguing your personal experience or opinion, but I would be buying the system to simply start up and play games; Kinect hasn't proven to be something that enhances the gaming experience. I don't want to pay more money just for a "cool" way to navigate an OS.

There are many more features other than that, but I'm just giving an example. Kinect is in and will stay in. They would rather eat the cost than take it out. Look back at the Fortaleza map and you will see they have been planning for it to stay in. You don't throw away years of planning and r and d for that. Too much invested to bail.

Xbox record that and xbox broadcast are other things that kinect can do. The twitch stream with live picture in picture is nice as well. Its up to them to prove its worth but they won't ship without it. If they cut price and gave it to you free would you still say no to having something extra you can unplug?

Top Bottom