• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales results for January 2018

KevinKeene

Banned
Let's do this, too!

''Hardware spending in January 2018 grew 119 percent when compared to year ago, to $278 million. Spending gains were driven by Switch, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 hardware sales growth. PlayStation 4, Switch, and Xbox One all performed well in the month of January. In dollar sales, the gap between the top-selling platform and the third best-selling was only 3 percent. Nintendo Switch was the month’s best-selling platform in Unit sales, while PlayStation 4 topped dollar sales. Xbox One dollar and unit sales in January 2018 are the highest achieved for the platform in a January month.''

Source: venturebeat

Overall

1. Monster Hunter: World
  2. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  3. Call of Duty: WWII
  4. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds*
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. NBA 2K18
  7. Super Mario Odyssey**
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
  9. Mario Kart 8**
  10. Madden NFL 18
  11. Star Wars: Battlefront II*
  12. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
  13. UFC 3
  14. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  15. FIFA 18*
  16. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse
  17. The Sims 4*
  18. Splatoon 2**
  19. Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT
  20. Need for Speed: Payback*
* No PC digital sales
** No digital sales

Nintendo Switch**

1. Super Mario Odyssey
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Pokken Tournament DX
  6. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  7. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  8. ARMS
  9. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  10. Doom 2016

Nintendo 3DS**

1. Pokemon: Ultra Sun
  2. Pokemon: Ultra Moon
  3. Mario Kart 7
  4. Mario Party: The Top 100
  5. Minecraft
  6. Super Mario Maker
  7. Super Smash Bros.
  8. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser’s Minions
  9. New Super Mario Bros. 2
  10. Kirby: Battle Royale

The best-selling games over the last 12 months

1. Call of Duty: WWII
  2. NBA 2K18
  3. Destiny 2*
  4. Madden NFL 18
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Star Wars: Battlefront II*
  8. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  9. Super Mario Odyssey**
  10. Mario Kart 8**

ChuyMasta

Skyrim doing well....again....11 years later.

No wonder re-releases are a thing.

I wonder how the PS4 VR version is doing.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Grand Theft Auto V, a game from 2013 is still in the chart. Its quite an accomplishment. Just imagine if Rockstar decides to port GTAV to Switch.

iconmaster

Banned
Happy to see Dragon Ball Fighter Z do so well, and both Doom and Skyrim showing up on the Switch chart bodes well for third party support. (Also Rabbids, but kind of a different case there.)

Hardware was an extremely close race.

hiphopcr

Will it ever be possible to get real numbers (aka digital + physical)?

Other industries are so transparent with viewership and box office, videogames are bizarrely shady.

Blam

Honestly I'm so fucking surprised GTA V has been in the list for months on end, it's literally not out of the top 10.

Kacho

Glad Monster Hunter and DBZ are selling well. Feels like Japanese games are making a comeback this generation.

Codes 208

Its good to see that dbfz did so well for the short time it was on sale.

Well deserved for MHW though, kind of a sleeper hit for me and my friends.

NahaNago

I honestly thought dbfz was gonna own this month and that monster hunter was gonna flop. Congrats to switch and Nintendo having 4 e exclusive games in the top 20 is impressive but the fact that like a dozen games aren't on the switch kinda dampens it a bit.

Blam

GTA5 continues to be absurd. Insane juggernaut. Those PUBG sales are xbone only... impressive.
Yeah it's 4th on a single console, with no sales on any other plats while the rest are multi-plat.

I'm surprised it's selling that much.

iconmaster

Banned
No wonder backwards compatibility isn't much of a thing haha.

This seems very true. Backwards compatibility is all cost for a platform maker. You're probably not selling those out-of-print games to any new customers. Rereleases and remasters, though...

(Are the NES and SNES Classics the reasons we don't have Virtual Console on Switch?)

This seems very true. Backwards compatibility is all cost for a platform maker. You're probably not selling those out-of-print games to any new customers. Rereleases and remasters, though...

(Are the NES and SNES Classics the reasons we don't have Virtual Console on Switch?)

Exactly, look at the Gaf boards, we're all hyped for remasters and I'm just as guilty, Shadow of the Colossus has been great, a proper remake and I'm sure Sony has made a mint from it, from their point of view it probably worked out better than paying to incorporate backwards compatibility to play the remake of Ico/ Shadow of the Colossus from the PS3.

Also the SNES and NES classics are a money grab at our nostalgia, a really good one cause I have both. I'm crossing my fingers Nintendo is putting in the same love and care they did when they delayed Breath of the Wild to get it right. Anything less would be unacceptable at this point and I have faith.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
A strong January is a good sign for the year ahead. Gamestop locally still has Spider-man, Days Gone and TLOU2 scheduled for this year... I really had my doubts about tlou2 coming anytime soon.
If PlayStation made most in dollar sales, wouldn't that indicate a lot of Pro units?

Poop!

There's no way they're not working on this, right? I mean, they'd be nuts to pass up another several million sales, and if PS360 ran the game, the port can't be too horribly difficult to pull off.

I would dare to say any current gen game that had a last gen port is up for grabs like Destiny and TitanFall just to name a couple.

Top Bottom