• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q4 FY 23/24 Earnings Release: Hardware 1.96m LTD 141.32M. MVDK 1.12M, Peach Showtime! 1.22M

Super Mario Bros. Wonder was the best selling game of Q4

kuu1F1e.jpeg

Nintendo's earnings release for the 4th quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024 has been published, this covers the three month period from January 1st to March 31st 2024. Nintendo shipped 1.96 million units of Switch hardware and 35.72 million units of Switch software bringing lifetime totals to 141.32 million for hardware and 1235.82 million for software.

The total for the full fiscal year was 15.70 million for hardware and 199.67 million for software.

Year over year quarter 4 hardware sales are 1.11 million down from 3.07 million and software sales are 6.13 million down from 41.85 million.

Four titles sold over one million units this quarter, these were new releases Mario versus Donkey Kong (1.12 million), Princess Peach Showtime! (1.22 million) plus Super Mario Bros. Wonder (1.48 million) and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (1.39 million)

The Nintendo Switch projections for the fiscal year ending March 31st 2025 are 13.5 million units of hardware and 165 million units of software.

1WOM6uq.png

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q4:
1.96m
Regional Split Q4: Japan 670k, Americas 670k, Europe 340k, Other 270k
Model Variants Q4: Standard 460k, Lite 340k, Oled 1.15m

Switch Hardware Total: 141.32m
Regional Split Total: Japan 34.00m, Americas 54.52m, Europe 36.48m, Other 16.31m
Model Variants Total: Standard 93.44m, Lite 23.53m, Oled 24.34m

Global Shipment History (millions)

Q3nFcbo.png

Software

Switch Software Q4:
35.72m
Regional Split Q4: Japan 7.19m, Americas 15.41m, Europe 9.71m, Other 3.41m
Tie Ratio Q4: 18.22

Switch Software Total: 1235.82m
Regional Split Total: Japan 239.92m, Americas 540.18m, Europe 356.32m, Other 97.40m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.74

Global Shipment History (millions)

FBtkevD.png

Nintendo reports sales data for software charting in the top 10 or that has sold one million or more units within the fiscal year (from 1 April 2023).

Software Top 10

Total sales followed by sales added to the total in Q4

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 61.97m (1.39m)
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons: 45.36m (570k)
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 34.22m (550k)
  • Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: 31.85m (240k)
  • Super Mario Odyssey: 27.96m (310K)
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield: 26.27m (100k)
  • Pokémon Scarlet/Violet: 24.92m (560k)
  • Super Mario Party: 20.66m (320k)
  • Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom: 20.61m (330k)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 17.45m (250k)
New Releases + Others
  • Luigi's Mansion 3: 14.25m (270k)
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: 13.47m (300k)
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder: 13.44m (1.48m)
  • Nintendo Switch Sports: 13.11m (630k)
  • Mario Party Superstars: 12.89m (580k)
  • Splatoon 3: 11.96m (250k)
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land: 7.52m (1.06m FY 23/24)
  • Pikmin 4: 3.48m (150k)
  • Super Mario RPG: 3.31m (170k)
  • Princess Peach Showtime!: 1.22m New
  • Mario Versus Donkey Kong: 1.12m New
Million Sellers not updated this Quarter (1st party published)
  • Ring Fit Adventure: 15.38m
  • Pokémon Let's Go: 15.07m
  • Pokémon BD/SP: 15.06m
  • Pokémon Legends Arceus: 15.00m
  • Splatoon 2: 13.60m
  • Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
  • Super Mario Maker 2: 8.42m
  • Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening: 6.63m
  • Clubhouse Games: 4.64m
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: 4.62m
  • Mario Tennis Aces: 4.50m
  • Kirby Star Allies: 4.38m
  • Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD: 4.15m
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses: 4.12m
  • Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity: 4.00m
  • 1-2 Switch: 3.74m
  • Paper Mario Origami King: 3.47m
  • Yoshi's Crafted World: 3.35m
  • Metroid Dread: 3.07m
  • New Pokémon Snap!: 2.74m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 2.74m
  • Arms: 2.72m
  • Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.63m
  • Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.48m
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe: 2.40m
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker: 2.35m
  • Octopath Traveller: 2.08m
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 2.00m
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX: 1.99m
  • Big Brain Academy Brain vs Brain: 1.94m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: 1.91m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 1.91m
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe: 1.82m
  • Miitopia: 1.79m
  • Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.73m
  • Fire Emblem Engage: 1.68m
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.60m
  • Pokkén Tournament DX: 1.54m
  • Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01 Variety Kit: 1.42m
  • Metroid Prime Remastered: 1.36m
  • Wario Ware Get it Together!: 1.34m
  • Astral Chain: 1.33m
  • Dr Kawashima's Brain training: 1.27m
  • Bayonetta: 1.24m
  • Bayonetta 2: 1.23m
  • Game Builder Garage: 1.15m
  • Bayonetta 3: 1.09m
  • Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes: 1.00m

Nintendo Switch hardware shipments compared to some other high selling platforms (millions of units)

04Ykv1A.png

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well I just asked chatgtp which system a person should buy if they had no prefferences, and it said this:

If you have no specific preferences and are looking for a versatile gaming system with a wide range of games, I would recommend the Nintendo Switch. Here's why:

Versatility: The Nintendo Switch can be played both as a handheld device and connected to a TV, offering flexibility in how and where you play your games.

Family-Friendly: Nintendo is known for its family-friendly games and iconic franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon, making the Switch a great choice for gamers of all ages.

Exclusive Titles: The Switch has a strong lineup of exclusive titles that you won't find on other platforms, including critically acclaimed games like "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" and "Super Mario Odyssey."
Indie Games: In addition to first-party titles, the Switch has a growing library of indie games, providing a diverse range of gaming experiences.

Community: The Switch has a vibrant and active gaming community, with online features like multiplayer gaming and the Nintendo Switch Online service, which offers access to classic NES and SNES games.

Overall, the Nintendo Switch offers a unique gaming experience with its versatility, family-friendly games, and exclusive titles, making it a great choice for gamers who want a well-rounded gaming system."

Just worried Nintendo might shut down chat gtp for saying the word Nintendo too often without permission.

Dazraell

Damn, I was hoping Super Mario RPG remake will have better sales. Still crossing my fingers we will see a proper sequel

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Unless they include the new switch hardware in their forecast, they expect the switch to reach 155m units by March 2025, so around 13-14m units for this FY

I call that a BIG BS if the latter is true.
I smell a long awaited price drop. How big that price drop is really comes down to if Nintendo care about becoming the biggest selling platform in history or not.

If they price drop the OLED to $249, Standard Switch to $199 and Lite to $149 along with a cheaper $40-$50 dollar range of budget titles and a marketing blitz showcasing all it’s exclusive titles it could go on to sell 150-180 million units and it will never be beaten. I don’t actually think they care and would rather sell 30 million less consoles IF it means they make more pure profit.

The fact they could beat PS2 in hardware sales if they really wanted to is absolutely mind boggling especially if you remember the environment around 2014 when WiiU was in the gutter. Nintendo genuinely looked out for the count.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Pikmin selling 3.5 million makes me so happy.

Luigi’s Mansion 3 selling almost 15 million copies is just crazy. Luigi’s Mansion is now a mega franchise up there with Mario, Zelda, Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash and Splatoon. Mental…

Good start to sales for Peach and Mario vs DK considering their small dev costs.

Robb

Gold Member
They are Projecting 13.5 million for hardware and 165 million for software this upcoming fiscal year. Price cut for hardware and Nintendo selects incoming?
+13M is a lot higher than I expected. Seems very optimistic. Definitely feels like they have to cut the price and introduce the selects line.

Not sure if that’ll be enough though. Almost feels like they should have something major to announce in June as well in terms of software..? No idea what that would be.

Crazy to think that they could be at the 155M mark by next March though.. Absolute insanity.
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Last edited:

Woopah

Very good year overall. Revenue, profit and software forecasts were all revised up twice and all beaten.

Likewise their ambitious hardware target was also beaten (largely thanks to TOTK).

Switch sales are now getting into serious decline (outside Japan, where exports seem to be helping) and yet they have set another ambitions hardware target. This will require some aggressive price cuts or bundling.

The other downside for me is that Peach and MvDK hit 1 million, but Advance Wars did not.

00_Zer0

Sony better find a couple million more PS2 sales they missed somehow.
Lol, exactly. Jim Ryan bumped the number of PS2 sold to 160 million. Wonder who at Sony will come out suddenly to bump those numbers higher. Can't let a Nintendo handheld hybrid console outsell the GOAT PS2. 🤣🤣

The switch is a casual magnet. Look how they've managed to sell that much hardware without proper 3rd party support. Nintendo really got that ability to sell to a different audience from Sony or Microsoft.

Robb

Gold Member
Jim Ryan bumped the number of PS2 sold to 160 million
Even at 160M I think we’re looking at a new record holder given that Switch manages to reach 155M by next year. Sales would have to really fall off a cliff otherwise.

Pretty sure 3DS has sold something like 14M post the release of the Switch.

They are projecting 13.5 million for hardware and 165 million for software this upcoming fiscal year, higher than i expected for both. Price cut for hardware and Nintendo selects incoming?
I do hope that they'll be going this route, as there are a few 1st party Nintendo games that I don't want to fork out €50 - €60 for like the Pikmin remasters, but I might consider purchasing them if they're priced more reasonably.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
LoL at those Mario Kart numbers.
Pie charts HATE this game!

Sony better find a couple million more PS2 sales they missed somehow.

Lol, exactly. Jim Ryan bumped the number of PS2 sold to 160 million. Wonder who at Sony will come out suddenly to bump those numbers higher. Can't let a Nintendo handheld hybrid console outsell the GOAT PS2. 🤣🤣
*Switch ceases production at 154 million.
*Jim Ryan: “You know, they recounted and the PS2 actually sold 155 million.”

I do hope that they'll be going this route, as there are a few 1st party Nintendo games that I don't want to fork out €50 - €60 for like the Pikmin remasters, but I might consider purchasing them if they're priced more reasonably.
Hopefully this is a sign of the above happening ^^. Almost all Nintendo 1st party titles are on clearance sale at this Walmart in Canada. 👀

It's definitely getting to be time for a successor. YoY declines are getting steep. Switch had an amazing run, and it's time for what's next within the next 12 months. Exciting times!

Personally I'm fine with no new console til 2025. I want a good port of Woolly World, Wind Waker HD, and Xenoblade X, and I'd be just fine til FH 2025. Between those and Elden Ring DLC, Fallout 4 next-gen and whatnot, plenty to keep me busy.

Last edited:
Right unless they hard stop production when Switch 2 arrives in 2025. Switch could easily pass 160m.
They would be foolish to do that. No one immediately ceases production on hardware that popular. It will slowly be phased out depending how sales go, once the successor launches. Likely within 2 years it will be effectively done. Probably by end of 2027 they'll stop reporting sales. But they will certainly whittle down the SKUs to just the highest selling Switch systems, likely just keeping the OLED or something and marking it down at some point.

Last edited:
Well I just asked chatgtp which system a person should buy if they had no prefferences, and it said this:

If you have no specific preferences and are looking for a versatile gaming system with a wide range of games, I would recommend the Nintendo Switch. Here's why:

Versatility: The Nintendo Switch can be played both as a handheld device and connected to a TV, offering flexibility in how and where you play your games.

Family-Friendly: Nintendo is known for its family-friendly games and iconic franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon, making the Switch a great choice for gamers of all ages.

Exclusive Titles: The Switch has a strong lineup of exclusive titles that you won't find on other platforms, including critically acclaimed games like "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" and "Super Mario Odyssey."
Indie Games: In addition to first-party titles, the Switch has a growing library of indie games, providing a diverse range of gaming experiences.

Community: The Switch has a vibrant and active gaming community, with online features like multiplayer gaming and the Nintendo Switch Online service, which offers access to classic NES and SNES games.

Overall, the Nintendo Switch offers a unique gaming experience with its versatility, family-friendly games, and exclusive titles, making it a great choice for gamers who want a well-rounded gaming system."

Just worried Nintendo might shut down chat gtp for saying the word Nintendo too often without permission.
even chat GPT knows exclusives are important 💀

Hardensoul

Gold Member
It’s weird flex, how did Sony overlook this number? Unless there’s official report from Sony, it’s hard to believe.

Woopah

155 million locked?

I'm not so sure. The precipitous drop of the Wii makes me think otherwise.
There's nothing similar between the sales curve of the Wii and the Switch.
They would be foolish to do that. No one immediately ceases production on hardware that popular. It will slowly be phased out depending how sales go, once the successor launches. Likely within 2 years it will be effectively done. Probably by end of 2027 they'll stop reporting sales. But they will certainly whittle down the SKUs to just the highest selling Switch systems, likely just keeping the OLED or something and marking it down at some point.
I reckon they'll keep producing the Lite until the Switch 2 Lite comes out. They'll want a cheap, handheld only product on the market.

Woopah

It’s weird flex, how did Sony overlook this number? Unless there’s official report from Sony, it’s hard to believe.
There was no bumping or overlooking of numbers. We just got a more accurate number from Jim (previously, we only knew that the PS2 number was somewhere between 159 million and 162 million).

Dazraell

Me too. I think we will, there is a POSSIBLE hint at the end of the new content.
I noticed that Paper Mario: Origami King's lifetime sales (at least I think they are lifetime sales?) were similar to how the game has performed in a few months so who knows. Either way, fingers crossed

Woopah

What! Now it’s high as 162m. For over 10yrs we’ve only seen numbers of about 154m. 🤷‍♂️
There's more detail in this post here, but below is the simple version.

• PS2 shipments were over 155 million by the end of March 2012
  • Sony continued making PS2s for another 9 months
  • Between April 2012 and March 2013, Sony shipped 16.5 million PS3s and PS2s
  • By using data Sony gave about PS3 sales later on, we can work out that the PS2 shipments in that fiscal year were between 3.6 million and 6.8 million
  • Therefore the final PS2 total was somewhere between 158.6 million and 161.8 million
Now thanks to Jim Ryan, we have 160 million as a final figure.

Last edited:

Three

The forecast for FY25 is showing a decrease of 38.3% for ordinary profit.

Price cut is finally coming?
I think hardware shipments are down significantly (Look at the YoY decline for the quarter) and likely they won't be making as much of a profit on Switch 2 either.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gold Member
T
There's more detail in this post here, but below is the simple version.

• PS2 shipments were over 155 million by the end of March 2012
  • Sony continued making PS2s for another 9 months
  • Between April 2012 and March 2013, Sony shipped 16.5 million PS3s and PS2s
  • By using data Sony gave about PS3 sales later on, we can work out that the PS2 shipments in that fiscal year were between 3.6 million and 6.8 million
  • Therefore the final PS2 total was somewhere between 158.6 million and 161.8 million
Now thanks to Jim Ryan, we have 160 million as a final figure.
Thats some serious high speculation 6m? I guess 3m is more believable with the report. Especially, since PS4 would’ve been ramped to launch November of 2013.

Production of PS2 April-December 2012. Along with PS3. That’s a lot of incompetence of Sony to cut PS3 sales by still selling PS2. Where were PS2 still being sold! 😆

They were about to push PS4 at that point! 🤷‍♂️

Edit: I can guess where PS2 would’ve been sold. Blu Rays were still slow to take off. PS2 as a DVD player was still viable in many countries and regions.

Last edited:

Woopah

T

Thats some serious high speculation 6m? I guess 3m is more believable with the report. Especially, since PS4 would’ve been ramped to launch November of 2013.

Production of PS2 April-December 2012. Along with PS3. That’s a lot of incompetence of Sony to cut PS3 sales by still selling PS2. Where were PS2 still being sold! 😆

They were about to push PS4 at that point! 🤷‍♂️
6.8 million wasn't speculation, just the maximum possible PS2 number after doing the maths.

I believe a lot of those PS2s were being sold in developing markets where the PS3 was too expensive. So I don't think that those PS2 sales were replacing PS3 ones.

Top Bottom