• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

Mrbob

Things break.....I think that will go down as the greatest line this generation. It is better than 4D, although these are close!

Oh and speculawyer really didn't recommend a used 360? Indeed that would be the worst advice ever. :lol

To weigh in on the "Wii is doomed" debate;

I think Wii owners should not have high hopes for how well The Conduit does based on Mad World sales. When you look at what type of consumer the Conduit is marketed for, it is going to be very similar to Mad World's demographic.

People need to start realizing that these types of "hardcore" games are not going to do well because the market does not demand it.

Anecdotally, I know of four people who jumped on the Wii bandwagon and a year later purchased an Xbox 360 because they were frustrated by the lack of games for the system.

Obviously they are not buying games for their Wii anymore. This trend is only going to continue and this will cause Wii tie ratios and third-party sales to go down even further.

The type of consumers that are buying 700K Wiis a month is the type of person who sees it as a system that plays Wii Fit and Wii Sports.

How many third party games are going to fail before publishers stop seeing the system as a viable option to develop for:

Zak and Wiki
Mad World
No More Heroes
Okami
HotD
Metroid Prime 3

Vinci

Danish
Andronicus said:
Be like a lot of other people on gaf buy another one when the more "reliable" model comes out, rinse and repeat:lol

I've never understood this degree of consumerism. I just don't have it in me. They knowingly put out a flawed system in order to beat their competitors to market and gain an early lead. I purchased this system unaware of these design flaws, expecting a modicum of responsibility on their part. Not surprising to them, it breaks; for me, this is the first system I've ever had go kaput after less than two weeks of using it. [They weren't even strenuous weeks. I baby my consoles.]

They're like, "Yeah, stuff breaks," as if this is all par for the course and it's to be expected or some nonsensical shit like that. People respond by buying the next version.

Before someone decides to pull the whole 'yeah, that's you - everyone is different' shtick on me, I know that. I'm just explaining my perspective on it, 'cause it's one of the least rational things I've seen in my history as a gamer.

markatisu

FirstInHell said:

I think Wii owners should not have high hopes for how well The Conduit does based on Mad World sales. When you look at what type of consumer the Conduit is marketed for, it is going to be very similar to Mad World's demographic.

The Conduit is meant for FPS fans, the same ones who bought more of CoD3 on the Wii then the PS3 and who bought a late sub par port of CoD WaW which is nearing 1m

MadWorld is a brawler that in no way targeted that base outside the fact that it most likely includes teenagers and young adults.

How many third party games are going to fail before publishers stop seeing the system as a viable option to develop for:

Zak and Wiki
HotD

Are you fucking serious? Someone point to me to where Time Crisis 4 (the other lightgun game not on the Wii) did magic numbers on the PS3

And puzzle games?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
FirstInHell said:

People need to start realizing that these types of "hardcore" games are not going to do well because the market does not demand it.

Anecdotally, I know of four people who jumped on the Wii bandwagon and a year later purchased an Xbox 360 because they were frustrated by the lack of games for the system.

Obviously they are not buying games for their Wii anymore. This trend is only going to continue and this will cause Wii tie ratios and third-party sales to go down even further.

The type of consumers that are buying 700K Wiis a month is the type of person who sees it as a system that plays Wii Fit and Wii Sports.

Zak and Wiki What's the biggest adventure/puzzle cartoon style game to sell on HD consoles?
Mad World It's at 50%+ God Hand (PS2) LTD in it's first month by the same developer.
No More Heroes They threw a party because it was their most sucessful game ever?
Okami Sold the same as PS2 version
HotD I was under the impression it was doing slightly better than the HotD2+3 compilation
Metroid Prime 3
Uhm... Metroid Prime 3 is over 1.5 million worldwide, as of Nintendo's last statement.

I *was* going to get the Conduit, but since it comes out the same day as Little King Story (also on Wii), it's going to have to wait a while (and there are rumors that One Piece : Unlimited Cruise (Wii) is coming out here in USA in July, so I'd have to wait until August to pick it up).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
FirstInHell said:
Zak and Wiki
Mad World
No More Heroes
Okami
HotD
Metroid Prime 3

I'm at work but that list is so awful I had to comment. You clearly know nothing about this, and you should stop now.

AniHawk

I feel bad for Ready at Dawn. It sounds like they busted their asses to get Okami as good as it could be despite zero support from Capcom and ex-Clover guys.

Parl

FirstInHell said:

Zak and Wiki
Mad World
No More Heroes
Okami
HotD
Metroid Prime 3

Wii tie-in ratios are going up, and third party sales are going up, and are greatest on Wii when compared to PS3, and have been outpacing 360's third party sales too.

On the subject of successful core games, a few of those you listed haven't succeeded much (for now, anyway), though Z&W has performed well for the type of game it is, Mad World hasn't performed well so far, NMH is successful and the studios most successful game and did great for a low budget title, Okami has performed well compared to its PS2 counterpart (not too shabby for a modified port), HotD hasn't done well so far in NA, done great in UK, not sure about other regions, MP3 did well.

I think that Wii isn't a strong platform for hardcore games, but there's little to show it's weak. THe main reason is that there hasn't been a large budget hardcore title on there yet. But games like CoD, RE4, UC, etc, do well too.

I have no prediction on the Conduit, as it's a fairly generic FPS, and fairly generic FPSs don't often do too well, unless it's Halo 2 or Resistance 1.

DNF

FirstInHell said:

Yeah right. The tie ratio is at 6.2 now, that means these type of consumers are just buying wii fit, 3 times wii play to get additional remotes and only 1.2 other games because I'm sure Wii sports is counted as 1 game

AniHawk said:
I feel bad for Ready at Dawn. It sounds like they busted their asses to get Okami as good as it could be despite zero support from Capcom and ex-Clover guys.

why? it sold fairly well for a full priced 2 year late port, and seeing as it was made i believe by about 10 people in less than a year it probably made a shit ton of money

AniHawk

frankie_baby said:
why? it sold fairly well for a full priced 2 year late port, and seeing as it was made i believe by about 10 people in less than a year it probably made a shit ton of money

No, I'm just talking about RAD's difficulties with getting it out in the first place.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
AniHawk said:
No, I'm just talking about RAD's difficulties with getting it out in the first place.

Yeah, Okami doesn't interest me, but hearing what those guys had to deal with to get it out wasn't encouraging. :/

AniHawk said:

oh sorry, yeah it was a lot of shit for them but they did a fantastic job with so little time/resources, reminds me i really should finish it sometime

Chumly

FirstInHell said:

Zak and Wiki
Mad World
No More Heroes
Okami
HotD
Metroid Prime 3
Joke post?

AniHawk said:
It amazing how bad management and stupidness can cause an easy port to balloon into a pain in the ass and make it cost a lot more.

Threi

notag
AniHawk said:
I blame the Wii.

DNF said:
Yeah right. The tie ratio is at 6.2 now, that means these type of consumers are just buying wii fit, 3 times wii play to get additional remotes and only 1.2 other games because I'm sure Wii sports is counted as 1 game
Why would someone buy Wii Play 3 times, when they could get it once and buy 2 Wiimotes instead? Also glad to know first party games are the only games that sell on the Wii once again.

markatisu said:
The Conduit is meant for FPS fans, the same ones who bought more of CoD3 on the Wii then the PS3 and who bought a late sub par port of CoD WaW

How exactly is WAW Wii a sub-par port? It seems like a decent port considering the capabilities of the Wii. Or is it gimped in some way I'm not aware of?

Basileus777 said:
How exactly is WAW Wii a sub-par port? It seems like a decent port considering the capabilities of the Wii. Or is it gimped in some way I'm not aware of?
Features be missing. It's better then other ports, but still gimped none the less.

FirstInHell said:
Zak and Wiki
Mad World
No More Heroes
Okami
HotD
Metroid Prime 3
First party games sell = doomed
First party games don't sell = doomed
Third party games sell = doomed
Third party games don't sell = doomed.

The great circle of life...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DNF said:
Nope they are also getting Links "NPD now says its a game" Crossbow Training. The remaining 0.2 is all carnival games.

Top Bottom