• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

Slavik81

OldJadedGamer said:
I thought I said game system...............
I don't know about you, but my PC is a game system.
More importantly, why would the distinction matter?

Why would WiiWare and PSN only be able to learn from XBLA and not from Steam or PC services?

Slavik81 said:
I don't know about you, but my PC is a game system.
More importantly, why would the distinction matter?

Why would WiiWare and PSN only be able to learn from XBLA and not from Steam or PC services?

My PC (personal computer) is a Macintosh and it isn't a game system. My mother has a PC but it's not a game system. Just because something plays games doesn't automatically make it a game system. My cell phone plays games but it's not a game system.

I'm not saying they were, that was another poster. I'm just stating that there was no other game system that had an online downloadable service for individual games before XBLA.

gkryhewy

JoJo13 said:
It tells me that the Playstation audience wasn't formed on the back of a single genre and that the FPS genre in question is incredibly crowded at this point.

But... this gen PS3 is the shooterbox. What other genres have had any kind of runaway hits at all?

Johann

gkrykewy said:
But... this gen PS3 is the shooterbox. What other genres have had any kind of runaway hits at all?

Racing games have also performed well on the PS3.

Sort of like the original Xbox....

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
While this would be kinda delightful, most of the "big projects" aren't bombing at all. On 360, they're by-and-large enormously successful.

What do you consider a "big project"? Enormously successful?

Firestorm

OldJadedGamer said:
My PC (personal computer) is a Macintosh and it isn't a game system. My mother has a PC but it's not a game system. Just because something plays games doesn't automatically make it a game system. My cell phone plays games but it's not a game system.

I'm not saying they were, that was another poster. I'm just stating that there was no other game system that had an online downloadable service for individual games before XBLA.
I have a 360, but it's not a game system. My PS3 plays games, but it's not a game system.

Wii is the only gam-oh shit weather channel and news channel. Guess that's not a game system either. Oh and neither is DS or PSP.

Game systems died last gen :(

Eteric Rice

Firestorm said:
I have a 360, but it's not a game system. My PS3 plays games, but it's not a game system.

Wii is the only gam-oh shit weather channel and news channel. Guess that's not a game system either. Oh and neither is DS or PSP.

Game systems died last gen :(

XBox and PS2 could play DVDs and music. :p

Gamecube could... Err... Uhhhhh.... I guess it was the last of the pure gaming consoles.

Woo-Fu said:
Seems to me that the shooter market is a wee bit more crowded nowadays than back when Halo brought multiplayer FPS to everybody who hadn't heard of goldeneye. Halo is a great game, no doubt, but it owes as much of its success to timing as it does to the quality of the game.

And you could also argue that the success of Halo directly led to the console shooter market being as crowded as it is. It took a whole generation for other console shooter developers to even come close to Halo (and arguably surpass it with COD4).

JoJo13 said:
The first mover advantage here with CoD/Halo is easily recognized, and it has as much to do with that as it does to their quality. Halo: ODST looks to be a pretty cheaply made expansion pack with little improvements to Halo 3, but it will go on to sell a ton of units due to brand name alone. Halo Wars sold completely on brand name as the title wasn't received very well and it was an RTS title -- nevertheless, it sold big numbers in its first month.

I don't want to argue with you too much because frankly, you don't bring a whole lot to the table, but you are so very wrong about two points. The initial speculation about ODST was that it was an expansion pack, but it's now obvious that it is actually something completely different with the open world and flashback-style narrative.

As far as Halo Wars not being "received well," I'm not sure where you got that idea. I hate to use Metacritic, but it is useful for cases like this. Halo Wars is currently sitting at 82, which is the highest average I can find for a console RTS.

Slavik81 said:

How quickly we forget how shitty Steam was back then...

And my point was that XBLM was highly innovative for the CONSOLE space and it influenced PSN and WiiWare/VC. I didn't claim that it was the first time you could ever download games to any device.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Rlan said:
Just to be clear - June will be a 5 week month, and finish on July 5th, right?
I believe the NPD months end on Saturdays, so the last day will be 4 July. If that's what you meant, sorry for overexplaining.

Chumly

Awwww fuck that. I saw JVM had the last posted and the thread was bumped and I thought he was giving us new numbers that he got :(

jvm

Gamasutra.
Chumly said:
Awwww fuck that. I saw JVM had the last posted and the thread was bumped and I thought he was giving us new numbers that he got :(
Dude. I had no idea a post from me could evoke such feelings. :D

I'll post more carefully next time!

Top Bottom