• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

Vinci

Danish
Since this hit at the bottom of the last page....

Vinci said:
And truly, if my negative comments towards Alan Wake have contributed to anyone having misgivings about the title, I do apologize. I never intended anything like that to happen.

Denzar

Wow RDR almost sold double the amount on 360.

Weird how those game always sell way more on 360 while games like UFC, skate, etc... almost sell equal across both PS3 and 360.

Vinci said:
RE: Alan Wake

I played the demo of Alan Wake on the PS3 and honestly despised it. Now perhaps the game is better (even far better) than the demo, but my experience with it and my strict purchasing habits basically made it a no-buy for me. For those who enjoyed the game: I'm glad to hear it and hope you get the sequel you clearly want.

I'm basically putting this out there to make clear that it isn't necessarily an experience that everyone would enjoy - and I know several other people who turned away from buying it based on the demo.

But truly, best of luck to Remedy.

wat.

Vinci said:
Reading the discussion following that post would likely have helped you in dealing with that comment.

I'm following the gamecast of the world cup so it was the last post for me at the time :lol

Vinci

Danish
demosthenes said:
I'm following the gamecast of the world cup so it was the last post for me at the time :lol

Oh, well, fair enough. Once again, I was duped. It wasn't Alan Wake. I apologize for the confusion.

Owzers

Draft said:
:lol

Bye, Remedy! Hope you enjoyed your years as a beloved PC developer and as a remarkably slow and unsuccessful console developer.

I'm not sure i quite understand what Remedy was thinking betting it all on a console-exclusive title. I presumed that Microsoft was paying a good amount of money to make it exclusive, otherwise why bother?

sillymonkey321 said:
I'm not sure i quite understand what Remedy was thinking betting it all on a console-exclusive title. I presumed that Microsoft was paying a good amount of money to make it exclusive, otherwise why bother?
Well, Microsoft was publishing it, they didn't have to pay to make it exclusive.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sillymonkey321 said:
Microsoft was publishing the game, so Remedy really had no say in this in the end.

Of course, that would largely be their fault for not signing a contract that let them publish it on the PC no matter what, and also for taking so long to make the game that they entered the time period where Microsoft no longer really released PC games.

DiscoJer said:
I really don't understand what people think Sony should do with the PSP.

Option one: replace it immediately with a PSP2 supported by a strong internal strategy and an impressive slate of software titles.

Option two: stop releasing any new software for it, sell out the existing hardware stocks, and walk away.

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, Microsoft was publishing it, they didn't have to pay to make it exclusive.

It's not like they got contracted to develop a Microsoft-owned IP or anything, though. Clearly whatever deal they had in place had the possibility of cancelling the PC version in place, so...

Deku

Banned
charlequin said:
Option one: replace it immediately with a PSP2 supported by a strong internal strategy and an impressive slate of software titles.

Option two: stop releasing any new software for it, sell out the existing hardware stocks, and walk away.

They are doing option 3, which is a scaled down version of the GameCube strategy, obviously.

They are eeking out marginal profits on software royalties on Japanese 3rd party sales and guaranteed sellers from their first party line-up and making money on the hardware.

But the damage to the PSP brand continues. It's instructive that they are doing nothing to rehabilitate it. I really do think PSP2 exists, but the whole Marcus ad campaign, modeled after the much more palatable Kevin Butler spots seems to indicate, at least in the short term, Sony has no plan on what to do with the PSP, and it's just a hail mary pass to ape a successful PS3 ad campaign for the portable. Console ports of an ad campaign. Story of the PSP's life.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Deku said:
They are doing option 3, which is a scaled down version of the GameCube strategy, obviously.

They are eeking out marginal profits on software royalties on Japanese 3rd party sales and guaranteed sellers from their first party line-up and making money on the hardware.

But the damage to the PSP brand continues. It's instructive that they are doing nothing to rehabilitate it. I really do think PSP2 exists, but the whole Marcus ad campaign, modeled after the much more palatable Kevin Butler spots seems to indicate, at least in the short term, Sony has no plan on what to do with the PSP, and it's just a hail mary pass to ape a successful PS3 ad campaign for the portable. Console ports of an ad campaign. Story of the PSP's life.
Technically these are Charlequin's thoughts on what they should do, not what they're actually doing.

Owzers

Nirolak said:
Microsoft was publishing the game, so Remedy really had no say in this in the end.

Of course, that would largely be their fault for not signing a contract that let them publish it on the PC no matter what, and also for taking so long to make the game that they entered the time period where Microsoft no longer really released PC games.

It really is hard to feel " bad" for a game developer that takes 5 years to make an average game and then releases it for one platform and it sells 100k + Did they sign a publishing deal with Microsoft because other publishers weren't interested? There had to be SOME money going towards Remedy from Microsoft.

Galaxy numbers are disappointing if you consider the multiplicative difference between wii userbase between 3(?) years ago when galaxy 1 was released and now. And it's also the only big wii game in a while and for a while. The game's biggest competition is...I don't even know...super mario bros wii that came out last year?
I'm sure it'll have legs, but nothing like other imo quite blatantly inferior nintendo franchises. It's such a shame, too. Really makes me wonder why nintendo seemingly decided to hop back on the core train this e3.

Vinci

Danish
Nirolak said:
Technically these are Charlequin's thoughts on what they should do, not what they're actually doing.

The sad part is that charlequin's strategies tend to be more realistic than those many of these companies actually use, be it Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. Sometimes they make the worst decisions and it's hard to fathom why.

Mr. B Natural said:
Galaxy numbers are disappointing if you consider the multiplicative difference between wii userbase between 3(?) years ago when galaxy 1 was released and now. And it's also the only big wii game in a while and for a while. The game's biggest competition is...I don't even know...super mario bros wii that came out last year?
I'm sure it'll have legs, but nothing like other imo quite blatantly inferior nintendo franchises. It's such a shame, too. Really makes me wonder why nintendo seemingly decided to hop back on the core train this e3.

Userbase size is a poor indicator to use when describing a game's sales. Also, Nintendo never got off the 'core train.' You mentioned Galaxy 1 and NSMB Wii in your very post.

Deku

Banned
Nirolak said:

Correct. He was responding to a post of what 'Sony should do'

I'm pointing out that they seem to have already settled on a 3rd option.

Mrbob

I wonder if Nintendo's new Wii bundle is harming software sales? For a casual you get a pretty compelling package out of the box. Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. All you really need to add is a couple more controllers.

Draft said:
:lol

Bye, Remedy! Hope you enjoyed your years as a beloved PC developer and as a remarkably slow and unsuccessful console developer.

I would have bought the game had it been on PC on day one, but it is crazy how they put all their eggs in the console basket and it backfired.

Mr. B Natural said:
Do you think when you write stuff or do you find yourself tapping keys furiously?

Vinci

Danish
Mrbob said:
I wonder if Nintendo's new Wii bundle is harming software sales? For a casual you get a pretty compelling package out of the box. Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. All you really need to add is a couple more controllers.

Wii owners buy new titles at the same rate as 360 and PS3 owners. So no, likely not.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Deku said:
Correct. He was responding to a post of what 'Sony should do'

I'm pointing out that they seem to have already settled on a 3rd option.
Yeah, in that case, you definitely seem to be right.

Why they would do such a bizarre thing is beyond me, but ultimately it is their money.

Mrbob

Vinci said:
Wii owners buy new titles at the same rate as 360 and PS3 owners. So no, likely not.

Relative to their user base they do not. I think people are finally starting to get more wise against buying Wii shovel ware, this is why we see a dip in software sales.

Spiegel

CadetMahoney said:
either way we'll see if it pays off for Sony in the coming npd's.

Not next NPD, there were bundles + MGS:pW

And we don't have to wait to see if it pays off. It won't :lol

Vinci

Danish
Mrbob said:
Relative to their user base they do not. I think people are finally starting to get more wise against buying Wii shovel ware, this is why we see a dip in software sales.

The attach ratio of these consoles is virtually the same. And they are wise, which is why the Nintendo titles tend to appear in the Top 10 so often - they're buying the best games on the system.

Parham

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:

The original Super Mario Galaxy released in mid-November (19 days of sales tracked) during the holiday season. Super Mario Galaxy 2 released in late May (8 days of sales tracked). With that in mind, it's perfectly reasonable for the first Super Mario Galaxy to sell more than its sequel during the first month.

offshore

Curufinwe said:
GT 5 will be a huge disappointment if it sells 9 million copies? :lol

Based on previous main versions' sales it will be a slight disappointment. But honestly, there's no reason to doubt that GT5 can't do 10 million+ over its life.

GT3 launched will barely 15 million PS2's out in the wild, and that went over 14 million. GT5 will be releasing with around 40-45 million PS3's released, so there's no reason why GT5 should be the lowest selling installment of the main series.

Alan Wake would have sold on PC and PS3 but not all that well. They'd still be hurting right now, IMO. Even less copies would have been sold on PS3 than 360, and many PC players would lament the lack of multiplayer and wait on an inevitable Steam deal.

Sure, more sales would help, but porting costs money and after their lengthy investment of time and money on this title, suggesting they would somehow have been "saved" if they had been on PC/PS3 doesn't make financial sense to me. Doing better, sure, but still in the doldrums, IMO.

Vinci said:
Userbase size is a poor indicator to use when describing a game's sales. Also, Nintendo never got off the 'core train.' You mentioned Galaxy 1 and NSMB Wii in your very post.

To me NSMB Wii is about as core as Viva Pinata. It's a simple family friendly 2d game that can be enjoyed in the same way wii sports or mario kart can. In mario kart, you can just drive around and shoot turtle shells and have a good time. Are there core elements in those games? Can you take the game seriously and be a master at it? Absolutely but the games can be enjoyed just as well by a casual. This is why my casual gaming cousins that are under 10 years old bought and played nsmbwii almost to completion and yet couldn't get more than 3 stars in galaxy 1. They of course did not buy galaxy 2 especially after telling them that the sequel is harder.

Core-lite everyone-is-invited games like mario kart, wii sports resort and nsmbwii seems to be nintendo's sweet spot when it comes to mega-ridiculous sales. Not galaxy. That's not something anyone can play. It's too core for grampa to play with grandson. Not donkey kong or that shootem-up kid icarus game or metroid other m. Too core. And to me, looking at the comparison between galaxy series sales and more family friendly titles sales makes me wonder why they made a pretty obvious shift that they did more towards galaxy-esque no-casuals-please games.

They're not gonna make a more compelling reason for core gamers to get up off their couch and buy a core nintendo game built just for core gamers than galaxy 1 or 2 in a very very long time...maybe ever. And, as you can see, the sales are nice, but not sports resort nice. not kart nice and not basic fairly-undemanding 2d mario with goofy co-op nice. And certainly not peripheral nice. This is especially the case when Galaxy's budget probably far exceeded any of nintendo's other projects. Even Wii Music was probably a better return on investment and that didn't come close to meeting expectations.

Mrbob

Vinci said:
The attach ratio of these consoles is virtually the same. And they are wise, which is why the Nintendo titles tend to appear in the Top 10 so often - they're buying the best games on the system.

I don't know if you saw additional sales data, but 360 software sales are up healthily this month. PS3 software sales are way up, and Wii software sales are almost 25 percent down. This is including Mario Galaxy 2 being released in the month. So something is going on to have a downward spiral for Wii software sales when they had a heavy hitter out.

Mr. B Natural said:
Even Wii Music was probably a better return on investment and that didn't come close to meeting expectations.
Ahahaha, golden. You might wanna check up some sales before you participate in sales-age.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mr. B Natural said:
Even Wii Music was probably a better return on investment and that didn't come close to meeting expectations.
Of course it was, that's why Nintendo greenlighted Wii Music 2 immediately.

Vinci

Danish
Mr. B Natural said:
To me NSMB Wii is about as core as Viva Pinata. It's a simple family friendly 2d game that can be enjoyed in the same way wii sports or mario kart can. In mario kart, you can just drive around and shoot turtle shells and have a good time. Are there core elements in those games? Can you take the game seriously and be a master at it? Absolutely but the games can be enjoyed just as well by a casual. This is why my casual gaming cousins that are under 10 years old bought and played nsmbwii almost to completion and yet couldn't get more than 3 stars in galaxy 1. They of course did not buy galaxy 2 especially after telling them that the sequel is harder.

Core-lite everyone-is-invited games like mario kart, wii sports resort and nsmbwii seems to be nintendo's sweet spot when it comes to mega-ridiculous sales. Not galaxy. That's not something anyone can play. It's too core for grampa to play with grandson. Not donkey kong or that shootem-up kid icarus game or metroid other m. Too core. And to me, looking at the comparison between galaxy series sales and more family friendly titles sales makes me wonder why they made a pretty obvious shift that they did more towards galaxy-esque no-casuals-please games.

They're not gonna make a more compelling reason for core gamers to get up off their couch and buy a core nintendo game built just for core gamers than galaxy 1 or 2 in a very very long time...maybe ever. And, as you can see, the sales are nice, but not sports resort nice. not kart nice and not basic fairly-undemanding 2d mario with goofy co-op nice. And certainly not peripheral nice. This is especially the case when Galaxy's budget probably far exceeded any of nintendo's other projects. Even Wii Music was probably a better return on investment and that didn't come close to meeting expectations.

I appreciate you taking the time to craft a lengthy response, but my head is hurting now so I'll give myself a little while to consider a reply.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Sure, more sales would help, but porting costs money and after their lengthy investment of time and money on this title, suggesting they would somehow have been "saved" if they had been on PC/PS3 doesn't make financial sense to me. Doing better, sure, but still in the doldrums, IMO.
Well Remedy was working on the PC version from 2005 until February 2010 so i dont know how much porting they would have needed to do for that platform.

Mr. B Natural said:

*blink*

*blink blink*

Wow.

i bought alan wake for my shitbox, if they would of put it out on PC, i am sure nvidia ati or intel would of market the shit out of the game to sell there hardware. Hell they could of put out the game as a subscription like the tell tales guys done.

But i hope the game sold well enough world wide to keep them making episodes.

Vinci said:
Yeah. I was being serious. And yes, I deserve mocking for this error.

EDIT: What I now need to find out is how many of my other friends were party to this bullshit, 'cause they all told me they played the demo too and hated it. WTF.

EDIT #2: And truly, if my negative comments towards Alan Wake have contributed to anyone having misgivings about the title, I do apologize. I never intended anything like that to happen.

Eh, you shouldn't feel so bad. I always get my generic white male protagonists mixed up as well.

aloneinthedarkboxcover.jpg
fld_games_cover2_219.jpg

V_Ben

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:

You scare me. A whole lot.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Mr. B Natural said:

so is Bayonetta not a core game since it has an easy/auto mode? Tell your cousins to give galaxy another go, it's really not that hard. My younger son completed it when he was 7.

KingDizzi

Banned
offshore said:
Based on previous main versions' sales it will be a slight disappointment. But honestly, there's no reason to doubt that GT5 can't do 10 million+ over its life.

GT3 launched will barely 15 million PS2's out in the wild, and that went over 14 million. GT5 will be releasing with around 40-45 million PS3's released, so there's no reason why GT5 should be the lowest selling installment of the main series.

Personally I think that GT5 will sell around 8-9 million lifetime but then there are obviously other factors. The Top Gear Track was a stroke of genius to put into the game, it's simply amazing how popular that one track is, NASCAR, WRC, Super GT and lastly online which sounds absolutely amazing. These are all features which have not been in previous GT games so if those new features are implemented well' it's not farfetched at all for GT5 to pass 10 million and that too quite easily.

GT5:p sales continue to amaze me to this day, to think it has outsold most PS3 games full stop is amazing. Online is the biggie here though, GT career mode takes care of itself but if online is good which I suspect will be the case with there now being a team just for online then GT5 will pull off 10 million. Just rented GT5:p yesterday again for the first time in 2 years and the number of people still online was pretty shocking.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
BishopLamont said:
Actually, Miyamoto is already working on Wii Music 2. :)
Maybe he does, I didn't know it, but I still remember Iwata's comments about underwhelming sales of Wii Music.

With the amount of features and the pre-launch hype from various media (especially Top Gear) and the fact that this is the first true GT on PS3 there are absolutely no reasons to doubt that GT5 is going beyond 10 mil.

Top Bottom