• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2016

30% of all hardware sales were from UC4 bundle? Like, of all hardware sales or just PS4?

Either way, wow.

I wonder what are the numbers of Uncharted 4 currently...

ALL hardware
question is only, if that phrase does include handheld hardware, too or is just home console hardware.

the same was said last month for october, too
and the ps4 slim uc4 bundle sold either 107k units (45,5% of all ps4 sold that month) or 128k (54,5% of all ps4 sold that month)

would be great, if one NPD insider could confirm, if it's the former or latter

I certainly don't get how people are calling sales for things like 3DS and PSVR disappointing when both are sold out.

especially psv launch months sales. 150k units for a $399/$499 accessory i anything but disappointing.
but the sales after launch and with enough supply will determine if VR is a success or failure. impossible to tell, yet

Elandyll

Banned
Nothing shocking about this.
Dunno about that.

First, contrarily to what many have said, a drop in the 4th year is not a rule or even to be expected, it just has happened in the past, but less often than not afaik.
2nd, deals were pretty good across the board for both XB1 and PS4 with new std models and $50 cheaper, and with a brand new type of hardware releasing with PS4pro (with months of pre orders baked in), I think a bit of surprise at seeing the two market leaders shed 800.000 units yoy between the two of them is rather puzzling and should be studied.

So far, the only explanation I've seen is that the top 3 in software was weak in Nov.
I find it a somewhat unsatisfying explanation personally tbh (it was certainly part of the problem though), as there is plenty of other choices where sales could have moved onto (and as noted the hardware % drop is far worse than the software overall - 35% drop vs 18%).

Nuu

Banned
It seems that every month hardware and software sales are down. Not a good sign for the industry at all.

It seems that every month hardware and software sales are down. Not a good sign for the industry at all.

the industry is in a consolidation and shift to different business models, not overall decline. if most people would recognize that, that would be a great start for a better discussions in this sales topics

Nuu

Banned
the industry is in a consolidation and shift to different business models, not overall decline. if most people would recognize that, that would be a great start for a better discussions in this sales topics

I agree, but I'm mostly referring to the "traditional market". Most companies are moving toward mobile and various DLC models.

It seems that way sometimes but some titles do still sell well. The thing I'm most worried about is that there are a few mega hits and pretty much everything else is flopping. It's fine if you like playing Destiny or Dota for thousands of hours and nothing else but it really sucks if you want multiple varied triple-A titles.

Nuu

Banned
Which is not a problem for the games industry or gamers

It's a big problem for gamers because the games overall aren't as good or worth as much value.

It seems that way sometimes but some titles do still sell well. The thing I'm most worried about is that there are a few mega hits and pretty much everything else is flopping. It's fine if you like playing Destiny or Dota for thousands of hours and nothing else but it really sucks if you want multiple varied triple-A titles.

This is why AAA games are becoming fewer and fewer over-time. However, due to this the independent market is skyrocketing.

Fady K

Thanks.

I know there are supply issues, but that's low.

I'm not sure how low the supplies are, but even on Amazon the cheapest one you can find at the moment (base VR) is 650 dollars; if the supply issues are truly staggering, then it's low because of that I guess. Plus, you have to remember that it's a $400 accessory; it's almost the price of a new PS4 Slim and Xbox One S combined (holiday prices).

Wow, I'm surprised more people aren't studying how down the industry is year over year. Pretty shockingly too, that's not good.

It's not shocking, surprising, nor is it a herald of the end times by any stretch of the imagination.

Any guesses from Cosmic or Mat on how TLG and FFXV might be selling? I get the sense TLG is underperforming, while the latter is selling more than people think it is.

So what's a guess for total Uncharted 4 copies sold including bundles?

8 million?

sold through, or shipped?
worldwide or us?

bundles alone these days move several million additional units.
AC:Unity on Xbox One, Gears of War UE, Uncharted Collection, CoD:BOIII on Ps4,

Uncharted 4 and BF1 will be on that list, too after this holiday season

i have no doubt Uncharted 4 will be a 10m+ seller when everything is said and done

sold through, or shipped?
worldwide or us?

bundles alone these days move several million additional units.
AC:Unity on Xbox One, Gears of War UE, Uncharted Collection, CoD:BOIII on Ps4,

Uncharted 4 and BF1 will be on that list, too after this holiday season

i have no doubt Uncharted 4 will be a 10m+ seller when everything is said and done

Sold through worldwide. I reckon it must be around 8 mil right now.

I think TLOU ended up, original only, around 10 million.

AdanVC

Big props to Nintendo for that achievement with Pokémon. I wonder how many Wii Us they sold last month. Probably like two.

Toni

In an a timeframe where so many IP's have declined imensely (Gears, Deux Ex, Watch Dogs, etc), its incredible that Uncharted as a franchise hasn't decline one bit.

Norse

In an a timeframe where so many IP's have declined imensely (Gears, Deux Ex, Watch Dogs, etc), its incredible that Uncharted as a franchise hasn't decline one bit.

What? How can it decline when it's packaged with the system? Or are you talking about the quality of the IPs? Uncharted is a great IP and people that have played gears 4 and watch dogs 2 will say they are both great as well.

What? How can it decline when it's packaged with the system? Or are you talking about the quality of the IPs? Uncharted is a great IP and people that have played gears 4 and watch dogs 2 will say they are both great as well.
Well, it also opened better than previous UC.

Well... UC4 sold 2.7 million first week without the need of a bundle. It beat first week sales of previous entries by a mile.

Ricky_R

I believe it has to do with a combination of things, but mainly it's the fact that Uncharted was gaining popularity and the series didn't reach that point of fatigue with Drake's Deception just yet. Also, ND was gaining a lot of buzz at the time as well and when they threw that TLOU curve ball, people got more hyped for ND and the thought of a next gen Uncharted.

In addition, despite all the Hennig drama and delays, the narrative that the game was not only ND's last Uncharted, but it being Drake's last adventure as well, made the game pretty desirable imo.

I'm sure Uncharted 5 will not surpass A Thief's End in sales.

donny2112

True story.

Total spending on games keeps going up year after year. Just less share going to retail.

So what you're saying here, is that the traditional gaming market is now pretty much made up of whales. Extracting large amounts of money per game from fewer people via DLC, Season Passes, subscriptions.

If so, reminds me some of baseball cards in the transition from the 90s (cheap, everybody had easy access and reasonable costs to get into collecting) to the 00s (focus on high-end, limited, expensive cards to the exclusion of the entry level enthusiast).

Wii U is so irrelevant nowadays that I don't think we will be ever getting numbers, so I think it is best to exclude it and calculate November's prediction results.

Sold 220K over 6 months in U.S. Nintendo expect to ship 800K WW for the FY. 6 month average is ~35K per month. November tends to go up. Maybe we could go with a big magic wave of hands and say 50K? Just trying to get through the year's prediction results here. Wii U is only counted for Units and not Points, so it's not as critical that it get exactly right, unless there's a tie-break on the Unit rankings. (^_^)
And, frankly, Wii U results probably fall well within the error noise for PS4 at 1.1m and XB1 at 1.0m. :lol:

Switch will likely get a smaller slimer version download the line. I just wonder how the switch box would work on that. Hopefully just a cord to connect to your TV and leave it or a small box the size of a phone stand. I can't imagine they wouldn't have a more portable version though

So what you're saying here, is that the traditional gaming market is now pretty much made up of whales. Extracting large amounts of money per game from fewer people via DLC, Season Passes, subscriptions.

Sounds about right to me... why I believe Switch is critical to get more people into the console market.

Sounds about right to me... why I believe Switch is critical to get more people into the console market.

this will be the biggest challenge for Nintendo and also the biggest answer for the state of the console market...

will the switch be able to get some of the consumer back, that left the market and maybe even attract new ones (kids theses days), or will the switch just attract Nintendo fans and expand a little into the ps4/xb1 consumer base.

50:50 shot for me. it's incredible hard to create a new category. but Nintendo did it in the past, so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt before the first sales results tell me a different story.
cautiously optimistic. that is also the stand of a majority part of the industry right now.

edit: i still wait for my avatar ;)

Switch will likely get a smaller slimer version download the line. I just wonder how the switch box would work on that. Hopefully just a cord to connect to your TV and leave it or a small box the size of a phone stand. I can't imagine they wouldn't have a more portable version though

They are marketing it as a console though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I mean there are some problems! If you get five games a gen-- Destiny 2, Ubivendi clone of destiny 2, and three Nintendo games, I'm so out!

Um... Wasn't Gears and Halo 5 also packed in?

Ahasverus

I'd rather have an industry where Pokemon is the main player. It's an RPG after all. Thank God the era of CoD is gone, or so it seems.

dafodeu

So for 2016 what brought in more money for the Pokemon Company? Pokemon Go or Sun/Moon? Really curious cause wouldn't this determine where they focus in the future. Is it possible Gen 8 can be Iphone/Android exclusive? Especially if the Switch doesn't take off?

MANUELF

Banned
So for 2016 what brought in more money for the Pokemon Company? Pokemon Go or Sun/Moon? Really curious cause wouldn't this determine where they focus in the future. Is it possible Gen 8 can be Iphone/Android exclusive? Especially if the Switch doesn't take off?

Oh please that will never happen at most there will be spinoffs on mobile

No.

Norse

Did we ever get an estimate on how many units the Pro sold?

No....First estimates were 800/300 split for ps4/pro.....Since UC4 ps4 SKU was 30% of hardware, I think that estimate is pretty close. Just don't know if hardware included 3ds or not...And what #'s 360 and ps3 and Wii had.

So...

1.1m ps4/pro
1.0m xbone
550k 3ds (saw in this thread) if included in consoles.
? 360
? Ps3
? Wii

Add those all up and x .3 will give you rough ps4 number out of the 1.1m sold. Rest would be pro number.

Yes, I was commenting on the "declined" comment on gears and watch dogs. As far as pack ins go, UC4 is a great one.

Right. You asked how it could decline when it's packed in when we have seen multiple other high profile games get packed in and yet decline greatly.

Top Bottom