• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Leondexter said:
That's not entirely true. I used to be a buyer (thankfully, I'm now inventory control mgr, buying sucks), and I can tell you that there are many products where it doesn't work that way. It's not just "I want 10".

If a product is hot--and I'll use Beanie Babies as an example of one I ordered directly--the wholesaler can place a lot of restrictions on you. Ty used to tell us what kind of fixture could be used to display the beanies, how many locations it could be sold in and for what price, which beanies we were required to order and how many, etc.

Now, legally they can't do any of that, but they can stop doing business with you if you don't comply. Most vendors are at the mercy of buyers, but if they know they have a popular product, then the situation can be reversed.

In the case of Gamestop, they most certainly are at the mercy of console manufacturers, who take advantage of it. I don't doubt at all that the over-shipping of consoles is not due to a buyer's decision, but is mandated by Sony/MS/Nintendo.
I think he was referring to cases where console manufacturers are not in a position to make any demands because their product is not that hot. In a later post, he gave an example of a "hot" product (Wii) which is in-line with what you are saying.

The point is both Microsoft and Sony have to give incentive to stores for better product placement, etc. so the notion that Microsoft can force stores to buy more than they need does not make sense.

Brakara

GhaleonEB said:
I think they get their data directly from retail. Same way MS touts the Halo 2/3 day one sales. Not sure how that works, though.

How does this compare with, say, NPD numbers? And tracking worldwide retail data must be a bitch.

andthebeatgoeson

Gadfly said:
I think he was referring to cases where console manufacturers are not in a position to make any demands because their product is not that hot. In a later post, he gave an example of a "hot" product (Wii) which is in-line with what you are saying.

The point is both Microsoft and Sony have to give incentive to stores for better product placement, etc. so the notion that Microsoft can force stores to buy more than they need does not make sense.
Many people have brought up that MS is in a favorable position with Windows (Best Buy and Circuit City) and software (all other gamestores). They can push what they can. Otherwise, it's tough to explain how they shoved 10 million units down the throats of stores in 06 except if stores where just looking for any product. But that can be countered by the fact that PS2, DS and even PSP where doing well at that time.

Gadfly said:

My point was that even though Nintendo's currently on top in hardware sales, game-only stores still rely heavily on Microsoft and Sony. They can still probably get away with "forcing" stores to take hardware stock. And I doubt most stores would put up much resistance; they know it'll sell sooner or later, and they'd rather have too much than too little around the holidays.
In any case, I think Anihawk's assumption that the large shipments of PS3's was initiated by Sony rather than Gamestop is probably the truth in this case. I doubt Gamestop asked for that large of a PS3 shipment, they probably just okayed it.

Jokeropia

No6 said:
What makes you think the million or so new Wii owners who didn't buy MP3 over the last couple months are suddenly going to do so in November? Further, I really don't think a game eventually selling a bit more at bargain pricing makes a strong case for good sales.
Because games generally sell better in November and December than in October. (Even if they were released earlier.) It's almost as if there's something causing people to buy more stuff nearer Christmas for some reason.

Furthermore, the original MP needed the player's choice release to get as high as it did (best selling game in the franchise), and if MP3 can match that it has to be considered a positive result.

Top Bottom