• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: Louisiana Governor declares state of emergency over disappearing coastline

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who rants about the threats of climate change daily, it's worth remembering that the LA coastline would be fucked anyway. It's been so ravaged and abused to extract oil and preserve New Orleans and the course of the Charles, etc. Climate change is just the latest and greatest problem affecting the gulf.

Humans should probably never have settled there.

(That said, New Orleans is my second-favorite city on the planet, and everything possible should be done to sustain it.)

RyanW

As someone who's lived in Louisiana his entire life it was a scary thought when I first heard "football field worth of coast is lost every hour" sitting in my fifth grade classroom. Too bad that not a lot of people had that same feeling.

Think the interactive map with sea levels really highlights the problem.

http://ss2.climatecentral.org

Every coast is screwed.

"What's the ROI on this problem in 3 months? What? Nothing? Humanity? People? That's not money!!! Just tell people to move. I'm out."

How long would it take at the current rate for water level to rise 10ft?

Where I live it looks like it won't do anything. North Shore of Long Island.

South Shore will lose land though.

I know in my area there are cliffs, but not sure if the entire north shore is that way.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The stubborn local who refuses to believe the tsunami is coming is a stock character in every disaster movie. There's a reason for that, people are actually like that.

Even if it was a hoax, which is most certainly is not, why would you not want to cut down on CO2 emissions? We can't breathe that shit dummies. Look at how it's affecting the world around us. Ffs there's scientific evidence proving that it isn't a hoax!

But w/e jobs, America first, big oil blah blah blah

Even if it was a hoax, which is most certainly is not, why would you not want to cut down on CO2 emissions? We can't breathe that shit dummies. Look at how it's affecting the world around us. Ffs there's scientific evidence proving that it isn't a hoax!

But w/e jobs, America first, big oil blah blah blah
Because...get ready for this one...plants need CO2 to live, so producing so much CO2 is a good thing for the planet

That was my dad's response when I tried to discuss climate change with him

Because...get read for this one...plants need CO2 to live, so producing so much CO2 is a good thing for the planet

Yea, but I.....

UrF0BoU.gif

Spend billions on a border wall though. That's the real threat to America, not the effects of our irresponsible land abuse.

I'd say something like "at least I'll have beach front property when I retire," but the real truth is by then my house will probably have flooded so many times I'll have had to move.

Lautaro

Because...get ready for this one...plants need CO2 to live, so producing so much CO2 is a good thing for the planet

I heard that same argument from a guy in a subreddit of my country, we just buried him with evidence, insults, passive agresive comments, etc.... I don't think any of that changed his mind though.

Where do these people get this propaganda anyway? is it Facebook?

Ashby

The gulf coast and south east coasts? I think NY is the first liberal coast that would get hit badly. California has a lot of cliffs. The west coast will be effected less

Edit: I suppose VA is, but that leaves TX, AL, MS, GA, FL, SC and NC before you really get to an effected liberal state

Uh, how about New Jersey?

bionic77

This makes no sense.

What about the snowball?

Better ask some of the independent scientists at Exxon to get to the bottom of this!

PKrockin

If only these shit-for-brains saying "science is just a guess" practiced what they preached and did the opposite of what the doctor told them whenever they got sick. Drive in the opposite direction your GPS says. Climb a tree in a thunderstorm. It's just a guess--who do those uppity researchers think they are, pretending to know more about weather and climate than a fisherman or coal miner, just because they spend decades of their lives gathering, studying, and modeling any potentially relevant data?

"It loses the equivalent of one football field of land every hour."

Holy SHIT
You think that's nuts? Check out our rainforests:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-talks-daily-destruction/

Dear EarthTalk: Do you have current facts and figures about how much rainforest is being destroyed each day around the world, and for what purpose(s)?
—Teri, via e-mail

Pinning down exact numbers is nearly impossible, but most experts agree that we are losing upwards of 80,000 acres of tropical rainforest daily, and significantly degrading another 80,000 acres every day on top of that. Along with this loss and degradation, we are losing some 135 plant, animal and insect species every day—or some 50,000 species a year—as the forests fall.
Anyone alive right now under 30 is looking at a fucking grim future.

How can sea levels be rising? If anything it should be going down since Obama got our economy going and people have more refrigerators and thus make more ice.

As someone who rants about the threats of climate change daily, it's worth remembering that the LA coastline would be fucked anyway. It's been so ravaged and abused to extract oil and preserve New Orleans and the course of the Charles, etc. Climate change is just the latest and greatest problem affecting the gulf.

Humans should probably never have settled there.

(That said, New Orleans is my second-favorite city on the planet, and everything possible should be done to sustain it.)

The most expensive real estate will probably be raised by 10 ft or so and become in essence a dock. I've heard similar plans for Miami as well. The poor people will be fucked, of course.

jett

D-Member
while they fuck everyone else.

They're fishermen, it's not like they can do anything about it. And it's not like Hillary would've been able to do anything either at this point, to be honest. They're just deluded people that are completely fucked over and their last recourse is to lie to themselves I guess.

Curufinwe

Normal right of center political parties are not this aggressively ignorant.

The fundamental problem with America is that Republican politicians and voters don't realize that they have become batshit crazy extremists.

They're fishermen, it's not like they can do anything about it. And it's not like Hillary would've been able to do anything either at this point, to be honest. They're just deluded people that are completely fucked over and their last recourse is to lie to themselves I guess.

More importantly im pretty sure most fishermen are aligned with the Merpeople anyways.

the mentality is the issue here, not the career choice. It's rampant, and everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom