• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Allegedly Begins Testing Its Fastest Next-Gen GPU, The AD102, For GeForce RTX 4090 Graphics Card, Features 24 Gbps GDDR6X Memory

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Far cry 6 already shows a disproportionate hit to performance on a 10gb card at 4k.

A cross gen game. Arguing about what is a worthwhile difference in texture settings is moving the goalpost. Either these cards do or do not have a vram capacity bottleneck.

8gb isn't enough. It won't be enough to a greater degree moving forward.

Really.
The 3080 10G shows a disproportionate hit to performance at 4K?
FC_4K.png

The perf difference between the 12GB and 10GB can wholly be accounted for by the CUDA count.
The 6800XT that should walk a 3080 10GB especially in a game that favors AMD hardware.....it also has a game winning massive 16GB of VRAM well......the results speak for themselves.

Where is this disproportionate hit to performance to the 3080 10GB story coming from?

Where are you getting your information from?

While we are at it lets see where the lowly 3060 stacks up....surely in a game that munches VRAM its massive VRAM advantage will finally prove its gonna beat the 3070.
Ultra_4K.png

What do you mean the VRAM didnt help it to beat stronger cards?
Opppppa its pulling the same numbers as an RTX 2060S.....isnt that the card its supposed to be replacing?

Romulus

I"m curious what the next round of GPUs will bring to the table. My 2070s is getting a bit long in the tooth considering I mostly game in VR.

FireFly

But again, what 1080p60 games are you talking about? 3060 can run 1080p ultra settings at 120fps in a number of games including shadow of the tomb raider, death stranding etc. Witcher 3 can hit way over 120fps.

And to be clear, my point is that Nvidia cheaped out and the cards we are discussing simply should have had more vram.

In this thread users have used a straw man saying I am suggesting 3060 doesn't need extra cuda cores or whatever because it has 12gb... That's not what I am saying at all, and I look forward to having a card that can run 4k120 games. A card that has enough vram for longevity and not like the 3070 or even 3080 10gb!
Well to think of a few quick examples, RDR 2, AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion.

Well to think of a few quick examples, RDR 2, AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion.
Yes that's true for ultra.

But again, that's why settings tweaks are your friend. Or 1080p can be just fine if you don't use the basic blurry taa... In red dead you can disable it, and in quantum break I use 4x msaa so it's good.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Ultra_4K.png

What do you mean the VRAM didnt help it to beat stronger cards?
Opppppa its pulling the same numbers as an RTX 2060S.....isnt that the card its supposed to be replacing?

To be fair, the 3060ti and 3070 can drop to near 0 frames every time they go back to system memory, that isn't ideal for most (even if the average holds). But the average above is a good 10fps better than what you typically see on YT. Meanwhile Charlie Chaplin fans play on the RX 580 and love it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom