• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA frustrated by Nintendo, is Working On Brand New SOC For Gaming Handhelds & Consoles

Barakov

"According to @XpeaGPU, it looks like we might soon see NVIDIA returning to the console gaming segment. The leaker states that MediaTek is developing a next-gen gaming handheld SOC that'll feature NVIDIA's GPU IP as the company sees good potential in this segment. It is also stated that the SOC will be different than the other semi-custom stuff that NVIDIA is working on with MediaTek and that several Chinese clients are already showing interest in these chips."

"NVIDIA also made it official during GTC 2024 that MediaTek's upcoming Dimensity SOCs will use the next-gen RTX & AI GPU IP based on the Blackwell architecture. These Dimensity SOCs are aimed at the automotive segment but we can see how both companies are evaluating different opportunities at the moment."
source:
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-mediatek-soc-gaming-handhelds-console/

Nvidia looking at the Steam Deck like, "It should have been us"

nice GIF by FirstAndMonday

Honestly, Nvidia overcharges everyone for their stuff so this is just deserts for them. Jensen is now the 18th richest person in the world. He shouldn't be frustrated by anything.

CS Lurker

Nvidia has to manufacture those old chips. They don't have a stockpile of old chips lying around. The news is that they might not be so happy manufacturing old chips and they've found a new customer, mediatek, to produce higher spec ones for too.

Actually TSMC is the one manufacturing the chips. TSMC still have other customers using the 16nm node. Nvidia just charge Nintendo for the SoCs and Nintendo pays for it. That's all. There's nothing hard on it, and it's nothing to make Nvidia even annoyed by it.

Three

Actually TSMC is the one manufacturing the chips. TSMC still have other customers using the 16nm node. Nvidia just charge Nintendo for the SoCs and Nintendo pays for it. That's all. There's nothing hard on it, and it's nothing to make Nvidia even annoyed by it.
Nvidia produce the chips with TSMC and sell them to Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't buy designs from nvidia but actual chips. The point was though that there isn't a hardware stockpile that nvidia need to get rid of.

Woopah

Nvidia being Nvidia. They're frustrated because they know the very reason Nintendo wants those chips is because nobody else wants them, and they'll get a great deal out of it. Of course Nvidia wants to move them onto a more recent release, and then they'll "have to" upcharge for something Nintendo doesn't care about. By staying with older hardware that nobody else wants, there is no competition and all the reason in the world to strong arm Nvidia into accepting a lowball offer because it will still be profitable and worth doing.
No one else wants the T239 because it is an SoC specifically designed for Nintendo.

Woopah

Do we really know for sure it will be the T239? A cut down automotive chip sounds too expensive
From the Nvidia hack, the T239 was the only SoC that referenced Nintendo's API. I believe the shipping reports that recently leaked further Switch 2 details also refer to that chip.

So we can be fairly certain it is the T239.

Switch 2 is going to be so underwhelming in terms of hardware. People talking 4K and DLSS and 120hz - and I’m like.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Originals
No serious person expects that in a $399 Nintendo console that has to run on a battery in portable mode. If they do, they are pie-in-the-sky outside their mind.

I say that as a diehard Nintendo lifer who is day one buying a Switch 2. I just care about the games.

No serious person expects that in a $399 Nintendo console that has to run on a battery in portable mode. If they do, they are pie-in-the-sky outside their mind.

I say that as a diehard Nintendo lifer who is day one buying a Switch 2. I just care about the games.

Same

All I want is a portable PS4 and a little better in docked mode

I can't wait to see how Luigi Mansion 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 4 and Metroid Prime 4 looks on Switch 2

Funny enough the games that I'm most excited for that are coming from Nintendo are all the 4th game in their respective franchises lol

According to leaks they're using a recent Nvidia SoC and like 12 GB of RAM. Over 1,000 CUDA cores. If true that is the most serious Nintendo has come with hardware since the Game Cube.

I would be surprised if that ended up being true

As I said before I'm fine with PS4 level graphics paired up with modern hardware

As a big Nintendo fan, I'm keeping my expectations in check

Tams

If this is true, then lol at Nvidia screwing over yet another console partner and also just not gettinf why the Switch has done so well.

I hope their endeavour fails like a GTX 480.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nvidia is a great choice

Their GPUs on the market currently are overpriced though
And with a shitty power port that makes me fear trying them 🥲

But as with Switch 1, it's very difficult to find something better elsewhere, even if Switch 2 on paper ends up being like Steam Deck, it will output way better results due several factors including Nvidia tech stack

And with a shitty power port that makes me fear trying them 🥲

But as with Switch 1, it's very difficult to find something better elsewhere, even if Switch 2 on paper ends up being like Steam Deck, it will output way better results due several factors including Nvidia tech stack

For my next Gaming PC Build which I'm doing for next year. I have been looking at AMD Graphics Cards

I like Nvidia but the prices on their cards are too expensive at times

It's gonna to be interesting what Graphic/Tech Features Switch 2 will have due to Nvidia being involved in the hardware

Reallink

Seeing Tegra release history, they tend to be ready years after the PC GPUs, so even if architecture was released on 2020, the Tegra chips using the architecture was released on Q1 2022, afaik, same for Lovelace, its Tegra chips are going to be released next year even if the architecture released a couple years ago. Not to mention T234 is still latest Nvidia Tegra model afaik, that's as much as I can get googling a little at least.

It seems to me that we shouldn't just compare technology in Switch GPU based on PC GPU equivalent release date because it tends to be released way before the mobile counterpart, Switch 2 looks as current as it can get, at least it doesn't look less current than PS5 when it released since it was also using previous architecture with some features of newest one.

As I said, that's because Tegra's only tangible market is a handful of cars which don't require cutting edge processing, typically go to one of the lowest bidders, and is a low volume low value market. Only reason they've continued to develop it is because they know they can't completely abandon low TDP SOC/APU's and still hope to power some type of high volume high margin mobile computing device in the future. Tegra is back burnered behind the back burner in the guest house kitchen of Nvidia's product stack.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Same

All I want is a portable PS4 and a little better in docked mode

I can't wait to see how Luigi Mansion 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 4 and Metroid Prime 4 looks on Switch 2

Funny enough the games that I'm most excited for that are coming from Nintendo are all the 4th game in their respective franchises lol
All i want is decent enough GPU so that together with DLSS I can get the "feel" of native resolution on a handheld display.
Has been my number one gripe with PSVita and Switch, sub native rez games on handhelds stick out like a sore thumb and native rez ones look beautiful

All i want is decent enough GPU so that together with DLSS I can get the "feel" of native resolution on a handheld display.
Has been my number one gripe with PSVita and Switch, sub native rez games on handhelds stick out like a sore thumb and native rez ones look beautiful

I hope there's a good CPU in the Switch 2 also

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
For my next Gaming PC Build which I'm doing for next year. I have been looking at AMD Graphics Cards

I like Nvidia but the prices on their cards are too expensive at times

It's gonna to be interesting what Graphic/Tech Features Switch 2 will have due to Nvidia being involved in the hardware
I think waiting for RDNA 4 is the right call, that's what I'm doing right now

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Haven't Nintendo pretty much had a hit-miss-hit-miss history for the past few generations maybe Switch 2 will break the mold (I have a feeling Switch 2 may be a miss though so long as Switch 1 is still around and games are made for it but that's on them to cut off Switch 1 owners and not make cross gen games which in itself could annoy the fan base at least for the first year or two)
if you consider the 3DS and GBA as "misses" then yeah this is very much a miss.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I would be surprised if that ended up being true

As I said before I'm fine with PS4 level graphics paired up with modern hardware

As a big Nintendo fan, I'm keeping my expectations in check
nintendos ALWAYS cheepo weaker then industry rumors buuuuuuuuut this thread lies all nintendos rumors lies i am known for my industry predictions

He cares cause Enzo Ferrari doesn't want to build and sell Kia Rio's. People and companies who strive to be the best aren't content peddling trash.
Yeah, so this isn’t how it works. Complete nonsense comment. It’s a business arrangement to provide a chip in exchange for money. Nothing to do with anything you’re saying. NVIDIA literally made the chip you’re talking about. Nintendo was just a bulk buyer.

Last edited:
Outstanding armchair business analysis going on in this thread.

Why would Nvidia want to waste extremely expensive N4 and N3 wafers selling Nintendo chips? They know Nintendo's market is low cost, so there's no hope for high margins.

Instead they can throw old products/IP at Nintendo using cheaper, older nodes for a reasonable cost, with little to no design effort required. Meanwhile their expensive leading edge wafers go to data center where they can make those juicy 1000% margins.

At the moment all of this is hearsay. And if Nvidia are actually frustrated with Nintendo then they're just dumb. They know what Nintendo's business model is, expecting that to change is proper Muppet behaviour, and they might as well not have engaged with them.

FireFly

Outstanding armchair business analysis going on in this thread.

Why would Nvidia want to waste extremely expensive N4 and N3 wafers selling Nintendo chips? They know Nintendo's market is low cost, so there's no hope for high margins.

Instead they can throw old products/IP at Nintendo using cheaper, older nodes for a reasonable cost, with little to no design effort required. Meanwhile their expensive leading edge wafers go to data center where they can make those juicy 1000% margins.

At the moment all of this is hearsay. And if Nvidia are actually frustrated with Nintendo then they're just dumb. They know what Nintendo's business model is, expecting that to change is proper Muppet behaviour, and they might as well not have engaged with them.
A.I chips are limited by COWOS capacity rather than wafer availability.

And the size of T239 indicates it's on a newer process, as at a 8nm it risks running below the minimum voltage floor at low power levels. They could be using a newer Samsung process though.

CS Lurker

Nvidia produce the chips with TSMC and sell them to Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't buy designs from nvidia but actual chips. The point was though that there isn't a hardware stockpile that nvidia need to get rid of.

I know they don't have a stockpile, and that was not what I was questioning from your post. You said "they might not be so happy manufacturing old chips", that was the point. It sounded like Nvidia is the one manufacturing old chips, like if they had a manufacturing line just for the TX1+, but they wanted to move on. That's why I said TSMC is the one manufacturing it, and they still have lines not only for the TX1+ but also for other customers who don't need to move their design to more advanced nodes.
So why would Nvidia be annoyed by only having to buy 16nm wafers from TSMC (according to Nintendo's request) and nothing else? It's effortless for them. And if it happens that TSMC decides to charge a premium because the node is too old (trying to push customers to newer nodes), then Nvidia will just pass this extra to Nintendo.

If the TX1 is still been produced it's because it's financially good for Nintendo, Nvidia and TSMC.

Probably. Nvidia also know that they have Nintendo by the balls when it comes to backwards compatibility, which is something important now that everyone wants to trap people in their digital ecosystems.
Not really. It's an ARM chip and uses Nintendo's proprietary development kit. It all comes down to that software layer and using any next gen ARM based chip.

Hudo

Not really. It's an ARM chip and uses Nintendo's proprietary development kit. It all comes down to that software layer and using any next gen ARM based chip.
As already mentioned quite a few pages ago, yes, NERD can whip out a good emulator for that. So yeah, it's a non-issue.

Three

I know they don't have a stockpile, and that was not what I was questioning from your post. You said "they might not be so happy manufacturing old chips", that was the point. It sounded like Nvidia is the one manufacturing old chips, like if they had a manufacturing line just for the TX1+, but they wanted to move on. That's why I said TSMC is the one manufacturing it, and they still have lines not only for the TX1+ but also for other customers who don't need to move their design to more advanced nodes.
So why would Nvidia be annoyed by only having to buy 16nm wafers from TSMC (according to Nintendo's request) and nothing else? It's effortless for them. And if it happens that TSMC decides to charge a premium because the node is too old (trying to push customers to newer nodes), then Nvidia will just pass this extra to Nintendo.

If the TX1 is still been produced it's because it's financially good for Nintendo, Nvidia and TSMC.
In all honesty I have no idea of the contract that nvidia and nintendo have in place so I can't comment on passing on the cost if TSMC decide to charge a premium on old nodes. I don't even know if Switch 2 is an old node either. I have very little information on the subject matter. All I was replying to was this:
The idea is that Nintendo can lowball because who else is going to buy those old chips, at scale? Nintendo is surely banking on being the only customer interested, and whatever they offer is better than nothing.
By saying nvidia don't have something on hand that they need to get rid of. Even if we're talking about filling manufacturing time at older node foundries you seem to be of the opinion that nvidia/TSMC have other customers anyway.

boo

Gold Member
Nintendo to Nvidia: What's the best you can offer me for $50?
Nvidia to Nintendo: See that garbarge bin over there? You can rummage through it and see what you can find.

I sure hope that Nintendo rather want to make a great deal on something modern. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom