• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia has a new graphics Control panel

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
So I just switched to HDR Peak 1000 on my AW3423DW, and I instantly got the option to choose 1000 nits in the Nvidia app.
Is that a setting on your monitor ?
If so, I guess it's just what it reports to the GPU, and for some reason my TV reports 553.
I used CRU to edit the EDID data of my TV, I'll see if RTX HDR show 1000 at max now.

Thanks.

Do you know whst happens if games have their own HDR? Will it override Nvidia HDR?
When the game outputs HDR it should not be overridden by NVIDIA's RTX HDR. If it does, you have 3 Freestyle profiles, just select another one or disable the Freestyle in the ALT+F3 menu.

For example, I set it globally and get it enabled in non-HDR games.
In Skull and Bones (that supports HDR), enabled or not does not change the image.
But in Diablo 4 (which supports HDR too), it gets enabled on top of the game's HDR, making it over brightened and dull, so I just disabled Freestyle in this game.

Warning to anyone trying this out.
It automatically set all my games to Nvidia preferred default graphic settings. I had to go back into Starfield and redo all my graphic settings and Dlss settings to where I wanted them. Why did Nvidia automatically choose the lowest settings possible? At least the slider help set everything all at once. I guess that was the purpose.

I've only tried Starfield with the RTX HDR and this is no good. Washed out picture and a severe 5 to 10 fps performance hit. The built in Windows auto HDR is better than this.
I guess I will need to play with the sliders to get the most out of it, but I was surprised by the performance hit. It's nice that it has 3 profiles you can save.

I do like the new overlay.

Kaleinc

Banned
Great stuff if you like to have one thumb on your phone and the other up your ass.
Otherwise bloatware junk

proandrad

Appearly RTX HDR only works if you have one monitor physically plugged in. Multi Monitor users will have to wait for a patch.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
It automatically set all my games to Nvidia preferred default graphic settings.

The setup or first start of the app asks if you want to optimize all you games, just don't enable it.
Appearly RTX HDR only works if you have one monitor physically plugged in. Multi Monitor users will have to wait for a patch.
I have one monitor and one TV, both are plugged all the time, but I only use one at a time and RTX HDR works on the TV (my monitor does not support HDR, is still plugged but disabled).

Last edited:

buenoblue

I have a 2070 super and a Samsung S95B OLED TV and the RTX HDR setting is greyed out. Hdr is on, auto hdr and dxr scaling is off. Tried reinstalling driver and power cycling. Really want to try this any ideas?

I have a 2070 super and a Samsung S95B OLED TV and the RTX HDR setting is greyed out. Hdr is on, auto hdr and dxr scaling is off. Tried reinstalling driver and power cycling. Really want to try this any ideas?
I know I had to first start a game then turn on Rtx hdr then restart the game before the effect kicked in. Then I was able to adjust the rtx hdr settings.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It automatically set all my games to Nvidia preferred default graphic settings. I had to go back into Starfield and redo all my graphic settings and Dlss settings to where I wanted them. Why did Nvidia automatically choose the lowest settings possible? At least the slider help set everything all at once. I guess that was the purpose.

I've only tried Starfield with the RTX HDR and this is no good. Washed out picture and a severe 5 to 10 fps performance hit. The built in Windows auto HDR is better than this.
I guess I will need to play with the sliders to get the most out of it, but I was surprised by the performance hit. It's nice that it has 3 profiles you can save.

Wierd that Digital Foundry and basically everyone else prefer RTX HDR.

Wierd that Digital Foundry and basically everyone else prefer RTX HDR.
It helped alot when I turned off the filter for rtx vibrance. That more than anything was the washed out look. When I got rid of the vibrance the HDR looked much better but I was still getting that 5FPS FPS hit.

Puscifer

Huh, unless I'm just not one for it I have to say I'm still a fan of the older control panel. That things just so simple and well laid out that I can't imagine whatever UX engineer they have on it will be able to make it such a simple experience.

Did control panel need a redesign? Debatable. Is it simple, works and whatever new features they've added over the years have been well laid out for everyone? Absolutely.

I really hope old control panel stays, this thing feels like "product" and not a utility if that makes sense.

Monserrat

Banned
Pretty much useless, it cannot enable hdr for some unspecified reason. I have an old ati card installed but I disconnected its monitor and even removed the card and disabled from devices, but it's a no go. The Nvthru HDR rtx mod works fine, but I'm not impressed with the picture at all in the games I tested, Special K and specially reshade lilium HDR mop the floor with this.

Bojji

RTX HDR is just amazing, I tried it with Close to the Sun and it looks incredible, great black levels etc.

Auto HDR was good for some games but it raised black levels in many titles so it was rarely worth using.

dolabla

Colors were way too saturated in HDR. I turned it off. But this guys settings seemed to set things back to normal and now it looks pretty great.

Red Dead 2 looks awesome now with HDR. I wish they would allow you to set up these settings in the global settings instead of having to do it on a game by game basis.

Last edited:

Bojji

Colors were way too saturated in HDR. I turned it off. But this guys settings seemed to set things back to normal and now it looks pretty great.

Red Dead 2 looks awesome now with HDR. I wish they would allow you to set up these settings in the global settings instead of having to do it on a game by game basis.

Some good info here, thanks.

I think RTX HDR is quite amazing, I always hated how auto hdr was washing out the image. Nothing like that here:

jRQnuUq.jpg
YQ7FT4y.jpg
NNCOOFL.jpg
a1tZwEw.jpg

Offscreen is sadly only way I know to show some effect of how HDR looks on my screen.

Top Bottom