• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA passes Apple as the world's second-most valuable company.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
nvidia’s trajectory is absolutely insane. if you told me 10 years ago they would be more valuable than Apple one day I would’ve called you crazy. I can’t wait for the Netflix movie about Nvidia’s rise starring Idris Elba as Jensen.

GPPhP-UbUAAF82Z.jpg:large

Bigger question if they have enough moat not to become Cisco. They certainly have more options now but let's see.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

they are going to be very aggresive on those premium gpu pricing now
Consumer GPU? Likely they could be more regulated than firearms soon enough. GPUs are for the big iron boys, who buy in batches of 10 thousand and have safety teams who stop the GPUs being used for anything naughty.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Will probably be temporary. I expect nvda will see a pretty big crash once BigTech AI purchases slow down
Will it slow down anytime soon? Doesn’t sound like AI is a fad and the advances made just in the past few months are incredible.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They will surpass Microsoft in a couple months or so.

And AI will probably get them close to 4 trillion in about a year and a half

tommib

Gold Member
Will probably be temporary. I expect nvda will see a pretty big crash once BigTech AI purchases slow down
Why are there no competitors making dedicated AI chips instead of companies using language that decodes graphic processors for AI use? Nvidia must be so far ahead startups don’t want to deal with the years of research?

Will it slow down anytime soon? Doesn’t sound like AI is a fad and the advances made just in the past few months are incredible.

Who knows. I haven’t really seen many AI advances doing too many practical things yet. Its pretty janky outside of areas that require less precision.

I wonder if these big tech companies get cold feet when they find out they can’t monetize it as much as they thought

Wildebeest

Why are there no competitors making dedicated AI chips instead of companies using language that decodes graphic processors for AI use? Nvidia must be so far ahead startups don’t want to deal with the years of research?
There are competitors, but most of the graduates and code base uses nvidia apis and languages. Google use their own AI accelerator hardware.

I think right now it’s a race between a lot of big tech companies and there’s FOMO that if they don’t have the absolute bleeding edge they will be left behind.

There’s fear of winner takes all in AI

But like anything, I think this is a temporary fad and reality hits where lesser competitors can start making a serious dent.

Gaiff

Who knows. I haven’t really seen many AI advances doing too many practical things yet. Its pretty janky outside of areas that require less precision.
There's been a lot of cost cutting in some fields. In my company, we've replaced a lot of junior programmers with AI tools as well as some artistic jobs.
I wonder if these big tech companies get cold feet when they find out they can’t monetize it as much as they thought
The objective for most isn't to monetize but to cut cost/increase productivity. So far, it seems to be working quite well and it's only accelerating.

Last edited:
There's been a lot of cost cutting in some fields. In my company, we've replaced a lot of junior programmers with AI tools as well as some artistic jobs.

The objective for most isn't to monetize but to cut cost/increase productivity. So far, it seems to be working quite well and it's only accelerating.

It really depends on the industry. Coding/art/chatbot seem to be the most impacted but everything else, not so much

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I remember when tiny Nvidia's Jen-Hsun said he was going to open a can of whoop-ass on Intel. Now that's...Holy shit, 23x behind them? With Nvidia now passing Apple and only having Microsoft to go. Crazy.

Wow, this is actually terrible news for PC gamers.

You're not wrong. Nvidia has no competition anymore, which means they can do whatever the fuck they want. Cyberpunk future is becoming a reality and megacorporations will pretty much control us. I expect nvidia gpus will have AI that scans everything we do at some point.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just shows you how thirsty the world is for hardware for A.I

Robb

Gold Member
I’ll bet it’s temporary until AI gets more stable and heavily regulated. Definitely feels like we’re in a bit of a too optimistic AI bubble.

iHaunter

They will surpass Microsoft in a couple months or so.

And AI will probably get them close to 4 trillion in about a year and a half
AI is a bubble that will pop. Their main product is manufacturing GPUs, which they are not selling a lot of. Their stock is heavily overinflated like Tesla was years ago.

Last edited:

Nvzman

AI is a bubble that will pop. Their main product is manufacturing GPUs, which they are not selling a lot of. Their stock is heavily overinflated like Tesla was years ago.
Dude, you are talking about consumer GPUs, which have always been a drop in the bucket for Nvidia. Their data center/enterprise hardware is selling like CRAZY right now.
I'd actually argue Nvidia's stock is not overinflated when you consider that they have miniscule competition in the fields they are currently growing in. Datacenter, machine learning, medical research and engineering, automobile hardware, server hardware.

The AI stuff is what's making them grow exponentially, yes, but to act like they're going to be another Tesla or even Cisco is insanely stupid, they are actually becoming extremely integral to a lot of technology firms with very little competition.

BlackTron

Gold Member
You're not wrong. Nvidia has no competition anymore, which means they can do whatever the fuck they want. Cyberpunk future is becoming a reality and megacorporations will pretty much control us. I expect nvidia gpus will have AI that scans everything we do at some point.

This is all getting a bit heavy just to play a video game.

MikeM

Bruh- the overwhelming majority of their revenue does not come from the gaming GPU segment. Of the $26 billion of earnings last quarter, $22.6 billion came from data centre. $2.6 billion came from their gaming segment. Their margins are wild at almost 80%.

If they keep slamming earnings like this, I don’t anything popping as its clear from Jensen that they can’t supply demand. I’m holding until at least next quarter.

Gaiff

Bruh- the overwhelming majority of their revenue does not come from the gaming GPU segment. Of the $26 billion of earnings last quarter, $22.6 billion came from data centre. $2.6 billion came from their gaming segment. Their margins are wild at almost 80%.

If they keep slamming earnings like this, I don’t anything popping as its clear from Jensen that they can’t supply demand. I’m holding until at least next quarter.
He said GPUs, not gaming GPUs.

MikeM

He said GPUs, not gaming GPUs.
He said they aren’t selling a lot of GPUs, which on the data centre side is not true as they are selling everything and can’t satisfy demand.

On the gaming side, that can be true. That’s where I was going with my comment.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
When former crypto bros are making investments to their former shovel maker

Top Bottom