• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(NX Gamer) PS5 Pro spec review, Xbox Multi-platform, Helldivers 2 victim of success, Retro & more

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Chapters
0:00 PS5 Pro is coming but why and what will it offer
11:32 Nvidia new Driver Panel App discussed and overview
16:22 Helldivers 2 A victim of its success?
19:53 Xbox Multi-platform commences & bad messaging
26:58 PSVR2 support comes to PC in 2024
31:49 Are the FF7 image problems overblown?
40:19 Retro New 1984 & 1994
45:39 Patron Q&A: Will the Switch 2 and Mobile gaming converge with Console & PC?

kOHjMrw.png

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
If the Pro is real, I'll be curious how they market it to the masses. PS4 Pro kind of made sense with the increased adoption of 4K and the PSVR push. I'm not sure higher frame rates and ray tracing is going to get your general audience excited, especially if it comes in at $600. If I were Sony, I'd try to keep the price at $499.00, price drop the old model and phase it out.

What there gives you the impression it would he 1000 dollars?

We have 40-odd teraflop GPU's releasing for PC for under $500.
It's a niche product that primarily sells to existing customers, Sony will want a large profit margin.

They can't even discount the existing PS5 (their words) so I would expect anything between $599 - $750.

iHaunter

For 1000 dollars?
It'll likely be the same price or slightly more at $600 with the original console price reduced.

What there gives you the impression it would he 1000 dollars?

We have 40-odd teraflop GPU's releasing for PC for under $500.

People forget about the rest of the computer. You can't just "Buy" a GPU. You need a motherboard, ram, case, hdd, psu, fans, coolers, operating systems. That costs far more than $1,000 especially if you don't want bottlenecks. VERY unlikely PS5 Pro will reach past $600.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

If the Pro is real, I'll be curious how they market it to the masses. PS4 Pro kind of made sense with the increased adoption of 4K and the PSVR push. I'm not sure higher frame rates and ray tracing is going to get your general audience excited, especially if it comes in at $600. If I were Sony, I'd try to keep the price at $499.00, price drop the old model and phase it out.
Increased adoption of 8K and the PSVR2 push.

Wooxsvan

So not even close to 2x performance uplift (maybe in RT).

We have just 1.81x in TF. PS4 Pro was ~2.3x and that is without GCN 1.1 -> GCN 1.3 architectural improvements.
right but i think that Raytracing uplift maybe bigger than we're anticipating. He discusses Cerny's previous patents and how it "could" be substantial, reducing load on cpu as well. He thinks potentially 2x increase in efficiency of raytracing on the API, without factoring in the increase in GPU core specs.

kaizenkko

Maybe I change my mind, but right now I'm not buying a Pro. I can't understand the ideia of Sony for this release. A few games are truly next--gen, devs could barely use the regular PS5, why release a Pro right now?

Bojji

right but i think that Raytracing uplift maybe bigger than we're anticipating. He discusses Cerny's previous patents and how it "could" be substantial, reducing load on cpu as well. He thinks potentially 2x increase in efficiency of raytracing on the API, without factoring in the increase in GPU core specs.

I think the most interesting thing is DLSS competitor, DLSS can make even 1080p look very good on 4K and don't have FSR2 problems.

But of course developers have to actually use it and this can be the issue, you can spend good amount of money on Pro console and still play games locked to 30FPS or low resolutions thanks to developers not giving a fuck. We had games released on Pro without any improvements compared to PS4 (after Pro launch of course).

There is some speculations coming from him but he does claim to have heard details from Third Parties. In the video he discusses a DLSS Like upscaler with dedicated hardware for PS5 Pro (he compared it to the PS4 Pro having dedicated checkerboard hardware), bunch of RT related upgrades, such as ray reconstruction, noise filters as well as a Cerny patent from 2022 for accelerating BVH traversal, which he believes will boost the RT by 2x before thinking about the spec upgrade itself. He speculates that Sony wants to drive a large upgrade to RT performance so that developers will add more RT features to their engines ahead of PS6, even possibly some path tracing.

Hopefully the specs finalize to something double that of the base PS5. While I do like Ray Tracing, I do feel like on consoles, the cost is too much to bare on the overall IQ of the game. Which, I know that's mostly if you're using RT Global Illumination. I'm fine with baked lighting, there are a few games that have amazing baked lighting. I understand that leads less dynamic feel to large open worlds, but, on consoles, we're just not there yet.

RT AO, RT Reflections, RT Shadows, etc. Those are nice, so maybe that's where we'll see some marked improvements.

Depending on the games art style, pure rasterization performance is king.

I'm there day 1, my guess is $499/$599.

Perrott

Gold Member

We have just 1.81x in TF. PS4 Pro was ~2.3x and that is without GCN 1.1 -> GCN 1.3 architectural improvements.
Not really just a 1.81x TF increase when you account for RDNA 3's dual-issue computing, which would theorically result in well over a 2x raster performance increase if taken advantage of (with the fixed hardware of a console being the first time that could ever happen).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What kind of bullshit is that back compat? RDNA line has backwards compatibility baked in. Seems like it was written by a clueless individual.

I mean, if anything you can run GCN code (PS4 games) on RDNA 2, so I am not really sure, what they are trying say

Bojji

So we talking in-between 4060 and 4070 then?

In between 6800/7700XT and 6800XT but probably slighty faster thanks to being RDNA3, better than 4070 in raster for sure.

s3RbXp3.jpg

Not really just a 1.81x TF increase when you account for RDNA 3's dual-issue computing, which would theorically result in well over a 2x raster performance increase if taken advantage of (with the fixed hardware of a console being the first time that could ever happen).

Yes that would change things but in reality this won't lead to 2x performance, this dual issue thing has its limits. So far in PC space I think no game uses it natively and it is in Ampere since 2020 and debuted 2 years ago in RDNA3.

7900XTX vs 6900XT Average compute perf gain:

marketed compute gain +155%

• Aida64 +33%
  • Geekbench5 +34%
  • Sandra 2020 +50%
  • SPECworkstation3 +20%
  • SPECviewperf2020 +20%
  • Blender3 +40%

Looks like AMD driver does some things automatically with it but results aren't very impressive. On consoles with developers writing games for it could be a different story.

Maybe I change my mind, but right now I'm not buying a Pro. I can't understand the ideia of Sony for this release. A few games are truly next--gen, devs could barely use the regular PS5, why release a Pro right now?
One of the main reasons cited by Andrew House (back then SIE President) was to entice high spenders/deeply engaged users to stay within the PlayStation ecosystem and avoid migrating to PC. This same principle might apply now as well with the PS5 Pro.

"I saw some data that really influenced me," he continues. "It suggested that there's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that's obviously where it’s to be had."

"We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]."

That's where the PS4 Pro steps in, and it's why Sony has opted to prioritize graphical improvements and performance over other features such as a 4K UHD disc drive.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You're forgetting the possible use of A.I. techniques.

mystech

Any word on the rumored custom A.I. upscaling tech that was developed in house by Sony? That alone would make a big difference aside from the increase in raw power. Even better if they can get A.I. raytracing tech.

Top Bottom