• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Hollywood’s Most Decent Fella on Weinstein, Trump and History

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Dude is sterling.

Almost want there to be a small scandal to remind us that he's still human and makes mistakes.

overcast

Some pretty good answers in there and Hanks is the man. Wish he would go full villain in a role, he picks safe ass roles.

I do think it's weird to highlight his decency considering there are plenty of okay people in Hollywood surely.

Riposte

It's from Twitter. This forum didn't do anything.

The original tweet was about sudden fame turning into immediate backlash. If you change the meaning to "famous person who isn't perfect", then it's going to be ran into the ground faster than banderas.gif.

EDIT: A quick, rough look at search tells me people started to use "milkshake duck" in June (one instance two months before that) and since then it's been said something like 800 times.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
When I ask about Cam Newton’s gender faux pas, Mr. Hanks is more sympathetic. “Now I’ve done that,” he says. “I’m not so far away from ‘Hey, Maureen, how you doing, sweetie?’ ‘Well, look sweetheart.’ ‘Aw, doll baby, I don’t know how to answer that.’ I could have done that in a moment. What’s wrong with having there be a requirement to learn more rules of the workplace?”

Am I the only one who has a major issue with this comment?

It isn't about "learning the rules of the workplace." It's common decency and respect.

People need to shut the fuck up with this milkshake duck thing. It reduces people doing and saying heinous shit to a dumb meme.
In general, memes either popularized here or gain prominence here are pretty universally garbage tier stuff. People here have a weird/crappy sense of humor going all the way back to those dumb owl memes people here used to love for some reason.

Sulik2

Great interview. Tom Hanks still a great guy. Thank goodness. Calm before the storm for sure. USA is such a broken country.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When did this forum decide to make Milkshake Duck a thing?
Why?
It's the NeoGAF "fetch."

It has no real meaning because it has no context. You can be a "duck" if you turn out to be a member of the KKK and you can also be a "duck" if you don't support the legalization of marijuana or have a moral problem with abortion.

Tobor

I’ve been saying for years Hanks should run for President, but absolutely he should now.

He would landslide over Trump.

Dude Abides

Banned
Tom Hanks has always struck me as a decent human being who never sought out acting for the power it could bring him. That's not to say he doesn't live a life of extreme privilege, but he doesn't seem to abuse his position of power. A lot of actors actually came out of the midwest or small towns along the west coast, and some never lost whatever decency their life before Hollywood taught them.

I grew up in a small town in the Midwest. I don't think being from a small town makes you more likely to be a good person than growing up in a large city.

jmdajr

The day Hanks goes bad....I think that will be the last straw for me.

We need decent people now more than ever.

Some Nobody

Milkshake duck (I have no idea what this one is)
Hot take
Hill you die on

Using any of the above means you a dork.

Tom hanks once again proving he's a top lad.

If you found your way here, you're a dork. Also, you can't follow that up with "top lad" either lol.

The original tweet was about sudden fame turning into immediate backlash. If you change the meaning to "famous person who isn't perfect", then it's going to be ran into the ground faster than banderas.gif.

EDIT: A quick, rough look at search tells me people started to use "milkshake duck" in June (one instance two months before that) and since then it's been said something like 800 times.

If I recall correctly, it was "Here's a cute duck that likes milkshakes" and then "The duck is racist", which can be interpreted as "This person you think is awesome is later revealed to be racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic".

That's not "famous person who isn't perfect", that's "this famous person is racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic". And 800 times isn't really that much on a forum with thousands of people. Plus there was a thread about the term lol.

tumblr_mefymo8P1b1qihh9to1_500.jpg

I've never heard the story behind this?

I love hanks.

America's Dad saying most of the right things.

Don't be a milkshake duck Tom Hanks.

The one last beacon of light

Tom Hanks: The Last Sane Man in America

Save us Tom Hanks.

Dude is sterling.

Almost want there to be a small scandal to remind us that he's still human and makes mistakes.

The day Hanks goes bad....I think that will be the last straw for me.

We need decent people now more than ever.

Tom Hanks is the uncle we all wish we had.

How about we all stop worshiping celebrities so we can stop worrying about this milkshake duck nonsense?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Some of y'all would be a lot less stressed about milkshake ducks if you'd stop desperately trying to turn every celebrity into one.

jay

What's the point of that quote? We should be upset that moderates about slavery were pushed to one side or another?

At this point in time you may as well all get used to the fact that if someone is a big name in Hollywood, they probably knew or heard about the dirty shit that went on but kept their mouth shut to save their own careers or at the very least not rock the boat. This includes Hanks, Reeves, Fassbender, Elba, all of them. Hollywood protects it's own, first, second, and third and expects anyone that climbs the ranks to do the exact same thing. It's been that way for decades, and it will continue to be that way because once this dies down they will go back to their old ways and everyone will turn a blind eye again because god forbid they give up their paychecks to call out and help stop this disgusting shit.

The only person I would give even half a pass to was the guy on Reddit years back that was spewing all sorts of shit about how dirty Hollywood was without saying actual names to protect their own identity, at least they tried.
I still think it was RDJ although he would never admit it.

Am I the only one who has a major issue with this comment?

It isn't about "learning the rules of the workplace." It's common decency and respect.

Except, in this case, different people have different ideas about what kinds of actions and attitudes constitute decency and respect, so it really is about what set of rules is in place.

What's the point of that quote? We should be upset that moderates about slavery were pushed to one side or another?

The point of the quote is that we're seeing the same thing now that we saw then. His "calm before the storm" comment, to me, implies that in his opinion we may see another civil war or something like it.

EGM1966

Nothing he’s saying is exceptional although it’s damn sensible but against backdrop of ugly side of Hollywood it’s seems exceptional: it’s odd when you think about it.

Thank goodness though he is as sensible as you’d image.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's the NeoGAF "fetch."

It has no real meaning because it has no context. You can be a "duck" if you turn out to be a member of the KKK and you can also be a "duck" if you don't support the legalization of marijuana or have a moral problem with abortion.

No, I don't think that's what is happening.

Jag

The point is that history repeats itself and he's well read enough to see similarities with another conflict that tore the country apart.

Also, he pulled out a book. That's quaint.

Jmille99

Tom - dont you dare turn out to be a despicable human being. I dont think the people of this country could take it.

Tom - dont you dare turn out to be a despicable human being. I dont think the people of this country could take it.

Even if he did somehow turn out to be a despicable human being, would that instantly make the good, decent things he said here void?

Generally good people can sometimes do bad stuff and not instantly be Hitler.

Top Bottom