• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miami cancels spring break!

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

In recent years, Miami Beach officials have tried a slew of tactics to deal with spring breakers who come to South Beach to party and pack Ocean Drive during the month of March. None of them have stopped people from visiting, and last year’s festivities were marred by two deadly shootings and hundreds of arrests.

This year, the city is trying to get ahead of the chaos. To do so, officials are spelling out how a series of measures will mean harsh consequences for misbehavior — and discomfort even for those who simply want to have a good time. A new messaging campaign from the city declares that “Miami Beach is breaking up with spring break” and features an imagined text-message conversation in which the city says: “Hey Spring Break, we’re over.”

On Thursday afternoon at the Miami Beach police headquarters, city leaders held a press conference to discuss their strategy for South Beach, which includes a flat $100 parking rate in city garages and parking lots and the closure of sidewalk cafes on Ocean Drive during the weekends of March 7-10 and March 14-17.

Police Chief Wayne Jones said people can expect license plate readers, DUI checkpoints and more police in South Beach “than you’ve ever seen before.” “It will be difficult to get here to our city, and once you get here, the expectation will be that you play by the rules,” Jones said.

Officials are also telling visitors to “expect curfews,” although none have been formally announced.

I've never been to spring break Miami, not my type of crowd. I cannot imagine how bad the area is now days with the way people just behave and rationalize things in their head.

I feel so bad for young adults(18-30) who want to have fun and are well mannered but have to be punished because of all the dumbasses who exist now.
Although I do appreciate the cities protectiveness. That's actually pretty cool to see.

See you guys for GTA VI. :)

Never been to Miami, have been to Myrtle Beach, SC a few times for things like Spring Break/Bike Week, and I don't blame residents one bit for not wanting that shit there. It's only gotten worse over the years, people visit places and act like maniacs with a "it's not my house" attitude and leave trash, crime, and destruction for all the locals to clean up.

People these days really just don't respect each other in the way they should and it's only gotten worse as the "look at me" entitlement of people is exacerbated by social media and clout chasing.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I've never been there, but wouldn't tourists leave a lot of money there during this time?

Tams

Ultimately, only a fist sandwich will stop the idiots who trash places.

I've never been there, but wouldn't tourists leave a lot of money there during this time?

At some point, no amount of money makes up for the mess.

Kilau

young adults(18-30) who want to have fun and are well mannered

Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Hip Hop

I live in a tourist area and I can't leave the house right now as the streets are locked with cars it doesn't move.

If they would only stay home, it wasn't like this.

I believe this is a social media thing. A lot of problems in the workld today are constantly fueled by Social Media.

Back in the days people lived within their means. Now every single person has to be out there as well when they are constantly influenced to "travel" and "experience" even if they don't need to. Not everything needs to be traveled and experienced.

Imagine when the world's population doubles or triples in the future. We are fucked.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
Look at all my shit. This is the fuckin' American dream. This is my fuckin' dream, y'all! All this sheeyit! Look at my sheeyit! I got... I got SHORTS! Every fuckin' color. I got designer T-shirts! I got gold bullets. Motherfuckin' VAM-pires. I got Scarface. On repeat. SCARFACE ON REPEAT. Constant, y'all! I got Escape! Calvin Klein Escape! Mix it up with Calvin Klein Be. Smell nice? I SMELL NICE! That ain't a fuckin' bed; that's a fuckin' art piece. My fuckin' spaceship! U.S.S. Enterprise on this shit. I go to different planets on this motherfucker! Me and my fuckin' Franklins here, we take off. TAKE OFF! Look at my shit. Look at my shit! I got my blue Kool-Aid. I got my fuckin' NUN-CHUCKS. I got shurikens; I got different flavors. I got them sais. Look at that shit, I got sais. I got blades! Look at my sheeyit! This ain't nuttin', I got ROOMS of this shit! I got my dark tannin' oil... lay out by the pool, put on my dark tanning oil... I got machine guns... Look at this, look at this motherfucker here! Look at this motherfucker! Huh? A fucking army up in this shit!

Vandole

The problem is the tourists are broke college kids crowding rooms meant for 4 with twice as many kids so they can afford it. They don't dine out, at least at nice places, and if they do they don't tip the staff so restaurants hate them.

Damage to hotels and facilities had gotten increasingly bad, which ripples into higher insurance rates for them. So hotels hate them.

The city has to have additional emergency responders on duty to deal with the shit that goes on. So the city hates them.

So ultimately any gains they get are just a bit better than break even and it's not worth the hassle.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Sure, word of mouth always worked and will work but it can never compare to Social Media magnifying everything by 100x
Uh huh. 350,000 college kids packed Fort Lauderdale in 1985 and trashed the place, enough to the point that the city cracked down hard via new laws later that year. Daytona Beach had similar problems in the 90s.

College kids trekking to warm beaches has been going on for more than half a century. Social media is a bizarre scapegoat for something that used to be featured on MTV before the internet became a staple in every household.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

I've never been to spring break Miami, not my type of crowd. I cannot imagine how bad the area is now days with the way people just behave and rationalize things in their head.

I feel so bad for young adults(18-30) who want to have fun and are well mannered but have to be punished because of all the dumbasses who exist now.
Although I do appreciate the cities protectiveness. That's actually pretty cool to see.

See you guys for GTA VI. :)

No fuck them young adults 🤣

Pejo

You tell 'em. Now Florida will be known for being the sane, law abiding, clear headed citizens that we all know they are.
mv5CYQS.jpg

Last edited:

Tams

Yes, college kids going to Florida beaches during spring break was caused by Snapchat.

lmao

Social media absolutely has ruined places. There are many such places.

Word of mouth, and print and video people do spread stuff a lot, but are still very constricted in comparison.

Of course, there are other factors like more disposable income, cheaper transport, more variety in accommodation, and better education (leading people wanting to travel).

Meicyn

Gold Member
Social media absolutely has ruined places. There are many such places.

Word of mouth, and print and video people do spread stuff a lot, but are still very constricted in comparison.

Of course, there are other factors like more disposable income, cheaper transport, more variety in accommodation, and better education (leading people wanting to travel).
Sure, social media has a huge effect on tourism, especially when introducing ”hidden gems” throughout the world. Many of these places are flat out not equipped to handle the surge in traffic. I’m not going to contest that. But spring break in Florida? It’s always been a shitshow. Been that way since the 1980s.

Florida is one of the few states in the USA that doesn’t have a state income tax because tourism easily fills the coffers since the economy revolves around it. The only thing social media did to Florida is create the Florida Man meme. Massive tourism, spring break, drugs, crime, and large retirement communities have been a Florida staple long before Myspace came and went. Rockstar Games used Miami and Miami Beach as a template for Vice City for a reason.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Good. To say spring breakers were acting like animals would be an insult to all other non-plant lifeforms, including football hooligans!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I went to Panama City Beach for Spring Break as an adult ... Because me and my friends (mostly women and their brother) never went as kids. We had a blast! Coyote Ugly and the beach and a night club. I rode the mechanical bull at CU... Almost broke my thumbs. LMBO

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yes, college kids going to Florida beaches during spring break was caused by Snapchat.

lmao
No kidding. I was doing Myrtle Beach in the late 80s and Panama City and Naw'lins in the 90s. Come to think of it, headed to Destin tomorrow for the kids spring break. Do kinda hope some well endowed sorority girls have a condo near us for some sight seeing. Just be quiet after 9pm! :p

belmarduk

why are you posting that source, its among the crappiest currently existing.

o8TRN4W.png

This is well documented over a number of sources. Miami Beach has gotten sick of the behavior of a lot of these people and is taking steps to prevent them from coming and breaking laws over there. Feel free to look it up on the city's official website.

HoodWinked

This is well documented over a number of sources. Miami Beach has gotten sick of the behavior of a lot of these people and is taking steps to prevent them from coming and breaking laws over there. Feel free to look it up on the city's official website.
im not disputing that, just gross to give that outlet views and traffic.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Can you describe the fighters.

Black, female. One has red hair and one has black...no wait..now one has blonde hair...so blonde hair and black ha....no wait....now its pink hair and blon...no wait...both have blonde. Up to now it's blonde for both.
Best post of 2014

Meicyn

Gold Member
No kidding. I was doing Myrtle Beach in the late 80s and Panama City and Naw'lins in the 90s. Come to think of it, headed to Destin tomorrow for the kids spring break. Do kinda hope some well endowed sorority girls have a condo near us for some sight seeing. Just be quiet after 9pm! :p
Thanks for supporting the Florida economy, I own property near Destin lol.

My second biggest regret in life was not buying one of the condos in Destin before I left the state, was right before housing prices exploded.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Find this depressing more than funny.

Also there can be a few bad apples that spoil the fun for everyone. It's like that with most public activities. Always one or two fuckwits who act a fool.

Same. I don't find it funny at all. Just kids fighting for probably NO good reason (probably over a boy) ... Ruining whatever fun those other kids were having. Another reason 18 yr olds shouldn't drink.

Same. I don't find it funny at all. Just kids fighting for probably NO good reason (probably over a boy) ... Ruining whatever fun those other kids were having. Another reason 18 yr olds shouldn't drink.

People would wanna fight if you looked at them wrong. At that young age it takes guts to say 'Sorry' or 'Apologies' cause you don't want to be viewed as a pussy or whatever the new term is. At the end of the day the heavy police presence is for the best tow weed out the bad apples or atleast deter hooliganism cause as a teenager/young adult you should still be able to enjoy these years of your life.

Top Bottom