• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama permanently protects huge portions of Arctic, Atlantic from offshore drilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicanica

Can he permanently protect minorities? No reindeer or penguin ever called me nigger

pence.gif

heidern

There is no legal precedent for challenging this action, and experts suggest it would take years — or even decades — to determine how and whether it could be legally revoked.

From the article, sometimes bureaucracy can be helpful.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
There is no legal precedent for challenging this action, and experts suggest it would take years — or even decades — to determine how and whether it could be legally revoked.

Then we better get started. The solution isn't to ban fossil fuels but to ensure we get our power from diverse sources so we have options in regards to cost and availability.

leroidys

Then we better get started. The solution isn't to ban fossil fuels but to ensure we get our power from diverse sources so we have options in regards to cost and availability.
You seem to be confused. This doesn't ban oil, and arctic drilling doesn't ensure that we have diverse sources of energy.

Fuckkkkk I was hoping this would actually be permanent. What exactly will stop Congress from passing that law?

They're going to be too distracted by the coal thing.

(Which I would rather have been the one on "fuck off, Congress" status, but I suppose it's much harder to apply the same sort of methodology to land in comparison to maritime treaties?)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I think the solution is aggressively establish a market price for negative externalities through cap and trade (Democrats support this, Republicans don't); massively subsidize all alternative energy at every level (clean coal is not alternative energy; Democrats support this, Republicans don't); on a case by case basis introduce phase-outs or bans of legacy technologies like incandescent bulbs (Democrats support this, Republicans don't); use educational policy to teach kids about climate change, carbon emissions, and the impact of personal footprint issues like diet (Democrats support this, Republicans don't); regulate conventional powerplants more firmly (Democrats support this, Republicans don't); ban additional onlining of legacy power projects (Democrats support this, Republicans don't); work to secure international agreements on emissions reduction (Democrats support this, Republicans don't); view climate change as a domestic and international security issue and involve departments of state and homeland security as relevant (Democrats support this, Republicans don't); and use the bully pulpit to remind the public that climate change is real (Democrats support this, Republicans don't, with Trump going further than most Republicans in falsely claiming that climate change is a Chinese invention).

But I guess we can definitely agree on a bipartisan approach of, in the abstract, supporting getting out power from a mix of 90% Coal or Oil, 10% whatever the hippies in San Francisco want.

Expect Republicans to find plenty of use for reconciliation that you never thought possible. These next 4 years could be the Republican Party's last full hold on power at the Federal level. I firmly believe the next time they lose it, they won't get it back. They are going to use this opportunity to do everything they've ever wanted to do, and then some.

Reconciliation bills have some very serious limits. Chief among them is that they are required to not raise the deficit at all outside of a certain number of years (I believe the number is 8 from the top of my head).

This is why Obama had to deal with finding a way to deal with the expiration of the Bush Tax Cuts. The tax cuts could only be enacted with a sunset, because making them permanent would require a bill passed via standard order and have to overcome a 60 vote threshold. They tried and tried to pass these without reconciliation but they were stopped because of the 60 needed for cloture. Reconcilliation was used as a last resort because it meant having to include an automatic expiration.

Forcing Republicans to try to accomplish their agenda through bills that are limited by Reconcilliation is about as good as you're going to get.

Fuckkkkk I was hoping this would actually be permanent. What exactly will stop Congress from passing that law?

The fact that they can't pass it unless they can find 8 Senate Democrats to vote in favor of their bill.

This was easier to do in the early 2000s because of earmarks. The Republicans took this tool out of circulation because it greatly angers the Tea Party members, and not having it is going to make it a lot more difficult to peel off a few votes to allow the bill to even be officially considered.

d00d3n

Permanently? Yeah right. The drilling rig just got ten feet taller.

Yeah, seems a bit rich to call it that. The topic should really be "Obama temporarily protects huge portions of Arctic, Atlantic from offshore drilling for a month"

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I like how Obama's job is now about trying to child-lock the country to minimize damage from the coming administration.

Yeah, seems a bit rich to call it that. The topic should really be "Obama temporarily protects huge portions of Arctic, Atlantic from offshore drilling for a month"

It takes decades to launch these projects. This will be in the courts for a few years and trump can't just change regulations based on personal wishes (agencies have to follow procedures or face legal consequences)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom