• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 2022 US NPD THREAD : Gaming flat YOY, #1 PS unit and rev and Xbox #2, HW down 10%, SW up 2% YOY

reksveks

Tweets

mioInvJ.jpg

wGnAlz5.jpg
7w4welN.jpg

Summary incoming:
- Units order: PS > Xbox > Switch
- Revenue order: PS > Xbox > Switch
- PS and Xbox see double digit growth, Switch declines.
- Total Revenue Flat
- SW up 2% (cod was a November game last year).
- HW down 8%
- Accessories down 10%
- COD MW2, #1 month, #2 YTD, #3 TTM
- Gotham #2, P5R #7, Bayonetta #9, Grounded #15

Rankings
Unit Ranking: PS5 > XBS > NSW
Revenue Ranking: PS5 > XBS > NSW

Year to Date
Unit Ranking: NSW > PS5 > XBS
Revenue Ranking: PS5 > XBS > NSW

Mod of War Mod of War can you change title to October 2022 US NPD THREAD : Gaming flat YOY, #1 PS unit and rev and Xbox #2, HW down 10%, SW up 2% YOY

Last edited:

Elios83

Tweets

Summary incoming:
- Units order: PS > Xbox > Switch
- Revenue order: PS > Xbox > Switch
- Xbox and Switch see double digit growth
- Total Revenue Flat
- SW up 2%
- HW down 8%
- Accessories down 10%
- Gotham #2, P5R #7, Bayonetta #9, Grounded #15

"Double-digit percentage dollar sales growth for both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles was offset by declines on other platforms"

Is there a typo in OP, it's PS5 and Xbox with the double digit dollar growth.

Anyway PS5 is continuing to be number one and with the stock Sony is planning to have in November and December + GOW things are about to become huge for them.
Switch is finally starting to show some weakness due to age.

reksveks

"Double-digit percentage dollar sales growth for both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles was offset by declines on other platforms"

Is there a typo in OP, it's PS5 and Xbox with the double digit dollar growth.

Anyway PS5 is continuing to be number one and with the stock Sony is planning to have in November and December + GOW things are about to become huge for them.
Switch is finally starting to show some weakness due to age.
Sorry, will fix. Was too hectic trying to fix the tweets.

jm89

I mean...Playstation has more than just the USA to do big numbers. But considering less than a month ago they predicted to even surpass their initial 18M prediction...i'm sure some big numbers are coming.
The big numbers really need to be coming now worldwide. Will see how they do in spain and japan this week and the next few weeks, or are they just relying on usa and uk to do the heavy lifting while other regions starve.

reksveks

The big numbers really need to be coming now worldwide. Will see how they do in spain and japan this week and the next few weeks, or are they just relying on usa and uk to do the heavy lifting while other regions starve.

Yeah, Spain was less than 500 last week but this week will be big. This week's numbers will be interesting to see.

PeteBull

Saints Row in top 20 successful video game release of the year.
what have we become
Its very popular frachnise reboot and overall extremly popular gerne, so even terrible/bad reviewed game can make decent sales, im sure they expected it to do way better tho, especially if u compare previous entries in the series.

Klosshufvud

Nintendo waited too long for Switch 2. They should have struck this year with it to keep momentum.
Nah, I would say they did good waiting. There are already two consoles out now vying for market share. Nintendo probably realized with Switch they're better off not butting heads with Sony/MS but instead choose a launch they have full control of and without the pressure of immediate competition. The sales are still good and Nintendo can probably afford waiting another year, so technology becomes even cheaper for their newer console.

Woopah

Lots of good news this month

• Good debut for Gotham Knights and very very strong launch for MW2
  • XS and PS5 finally getting good amounts of stock
  • Grounded seems like a mini sleeper hit
  • Star Ocean did pretty well on PS
  • Sparks of Hope had a nice launch and it's great to see Bayonetta 3, Nier and Persona 5 all doing pretty well on Switch
The only downside is Switch hardware, but with Pokémon next month and the usual Nintendo holiday boost there is still a decent chance that Switch remains the best selling platform of 2022.

Nintendo waited too long for Switch 2. They should have struck this year with it to keep momentum.
We have a switch 2. Its called a steam deck ;)
tbh, i doubt a switch 2 is going to be more powerful than steam deck lol
Well... yeah. :)

But Nintendo should have released something more powerful by now. They waited too long.
Steamdeck should be a wakeup call for nintendo to pull their finger out and start putting in more powerful hardware. But they won't people will buy their shit regardless, it's a shame.

Switch is definitely stating to slow down on hardware but it's still on track for a 19 million year and software sales are still going up, so they still have some time before they need to release a new model.

From the leaked specs there is a very good chance it performs better than a Steam Deck (depending on the other specs and what the clocks are).

ahtlas7

Nah, I would say they did good waiting. There are already two consoles out now vying for market share. Nintendo probably realized with Switch they're better off not butting heads with Sony/MS but instead choose a launch they have full control of and without the pressure of immediate competition. The sales are still good and Nintendo can probably afford waiting another year, so technology becomes even cheaper for their newer console.
Good point. Look how many top 20 places they occupy. I’m sure they are happy with their position.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Looks like Switch sales are finally slowing down. Switch hardware was the only hardware widely available in retail stores across the country and they still couldn't keep up with PS or Xbox.

Hopefully this means we'll see the Switch 2 soon.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Can somebody notify NPD that they forgot to list TLOU Remake? One NPD charting and booted out already? Can’t be right.
Eh, I think it's served its purpose.

Charting at all was enough. Don't worry, Ragnarok is coming.

Because they might actually have the supply now...? How was this a serious question?
So for every month since it has been out, it has sold as many as they could make. And you predict this month they'll sell as many as they can make.

Great insight.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I know the fanboys will jump on me for this but I think the OLED model was a mistake, Nintendo should have instead focused on having a successor ready this year or at least be more teasing that it's coming alongside the sequel to BOTW

So for every month since it has been out, it has sold as many as they could make. And you predict this month they'll sell as many as they can make.

Great insight.
It's about the actual quantity...

I didn't say they could sell 20 million units, because they haven't made 20 million units.

What's notable is that they probably have 4-8 million units for November, which is considerable.

Fake

Can somebody notify NPD that they forgot to list TLOU Remake? One NPD charting and booted out already? Can’t be right.

Expected to be honest, despite the deniers.
People will not even remember TLOUS when Kratos hammer this chart.

reksveks

yazenov

Star ocean did respectable on the PS5 while not even charting on Xbox is expected. PS carrying 3rd party sales as usual.

Persona did well also on the Switch for a late port. Did not chart for Xbox as usual and it was also on Gamepass. Double whammy. Won't be surprised if other Japanese RPGs skip the Xbox platforms due to lack of interest / sales.

The passing of the torch is happening already where the Switch hands over the crown to PS5. Understandable for the aging hardware. Although it should have happened much sooner if Sony had enough stock these past few months.

Oh and that shitty game Gothem Knights did well for it self in the US. Although I think it underperformed in Europe. Americans have questionable taste to be honest.

Last edited:

Woopah

I know the fanboys will jump on me for this but I think the OLED model was a mistake, Nintendo should have instead focused on having a successor ready this year or at least be more teasing that it's coming alongside the sequel to BOTW
What makes you think it's a mistake?
Bayonetta 3 is doing terrible, fuck...
It's two days of only physical sales. What games do you think it should have charted above?

Top Bottom