• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

Struct09

TJ Spyke said:
Except it's comparing October sales of Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock to November sales of Rock Band (which will be boosted by Black Friday customers). It would be like comparing sales of November to those in December.

As for Carnival Games, i've seen tons of commericals for it (including on FX and USA Network) for several months. Advertised more than most games.

What? This is comparing January numbers to January numbers. I don't get your point.

fse

not bad numbers all around.
shortages seem to have a bit of impact on the 360, wtf at the wii?
ps3 seems to be selling consistently around the same numbers.

lets see next month if numbers improve for all consoles.

f_elz said:
not bad numbers all around.
shortages seem to have a bit of impact on the 360, wtf at the wii?
ps3 seems to be selling consistently around the same numbers.

lets see next month if numbers improve for all consoles.

I'm not sure how it was at other stores, but my Target didn't receive a single Wii all month.

jgwhiteus

I stand corrected on Carnival Games' marketing then (guess I haven't been watching TV that much). Still, it might have a larger marketing budget because 1) the dev costs were lower than normal, freeing up funds for marketing, and 2) it sells well, and continues to sell decently months after release, so the marketing is justified. Still probably one of T2's bigger moneymakers.

EDIT: and yeah, on Wii supply, I don't think Amazon had any in stock from the end of December to the very end of January. Since then, though, they've had a few restocks, so supply must be coming in again.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Kobun Heat said:
You know, guys, if PlayStation 3 keeps this up, it'll outsell the Xbox 360 in only 15
months.
Ah man, during the excitement of Sales-Age, I always forget about that part.

TJ Spyke

Struct09 said:
What? This is comparing January numbers to January numbers. I don't get your point.

My bad, chalk it up the the person posting those numbers not making it clear.

To revise my original post, you still can't compare them. Guiater Hero came out the previous month, so more people had already bought the game.

_Xenon_

Banned
360 shortage and that Bluray announcement definitely helped PS3 quite a bit. Also many people probably picked PS3 as a replacement of 360 I guess.

Das-J

Law of the West
Someone actually went out to take pictures at their local store! Well that settles it, every store must be like that.

Lol, its literally 1 block from my place so I figured what the hell! :lol I hadn't heard about the supply issues until today and wanted to check it out myself. but I'm surprised so many of you found my post serious... especially given the sample study of 1-100,000. :D

Woo-Fu

Banned
HocusPocus said:
Looks like the Warner Announcement propelled the PS3 sales. Lots of Blu-Ray players purchased after seeing the software charts ;).

If you did a little bit of math you would see that PS3 tie ratio went up during the month, albeit slightly. If people were buying the PS3 and not buying games it would have gone down, not up.

HocusPocus said:
Looks like the Warner Announcement propelled the PS3 sales. Lots of Blu-Ray players purchased after seeing the software charts ;).

PS3 having the highest software sales relative to the installed base of any system kind of makes that statement a bit off. That being said, everyone had great SW sales this January, even (or especially) the PS2.

kay

_Xenon_ said:
Also many people probably picked PS3 as a replacement of 360 I guess.
Who would do that? Just because one isn't there at that moment when you go to buy?

Hmm DS out of stock, might as well get an N-gage.

edit: ignore grammar

sonycowboy said:
PS3 having the highest software sales relative to the installed base of any system kind of makes that statement a bit off. That being said, everyone had great SW sales this January, even (or especially) the PS2.

So the PS3 has a higher tie ratio than the 360 now? Also I think the PS3 benefited tremendously from the Warner announcement. That's my opinion, but I could definitely tell there was a lot of desire to jump into the HD movie scene now that it's virtually settled from friends and online forums.

Sean

Banned
sonycowboy said:
3 out of 4 ain't bad. Tomorrow morning on those 3.

Can you try and find out what type of sales Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2 and Xbox) debuted at?

I am curious how Paradise is stacking up.

TJ Spyke

kay said:
Who would do that? Just because one isn't there at that moment when you go to buy?

Hmm DS out of stock, might as well get an N-gage.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I agree. If I want a particular system and the store is sold out, I will either check other stores or wait for the next shipment. I'm not gonna go out and buy another system instead.

For anybody will access to the info (i.e. full NPD charts), what is the highest selling third party Wii game LTD?

Joe Molotov

Spotless Mind said:
OMG i am literally in shivers. This is so AMAZING! I have been saying from the beginning that 2008 would be Sony's comeback year. I am so bloody giddy right now, omg Sony WINS. :D :D :D

Those shivers? They're called douche chills.

TJ Spyke said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I agree. If I want a particular system and the store is sold out, I will either check other stores or wait for the next shipment. I'm not gonna go out and buy another system instead.

For anybody will access to the info (i.e. full NPD charts), what is the highest selling third party Wii game LTD?

Guitar Hero III at almost 1.5 million.

Dave Long

Banned
GAFsplode.gif

Struct09

TJ Spyke said:
My bad, chalk it up the the person posting those numbers not making it clear.

To revise my original post, you still can't compare them. Guiater Hero came out the previous month, so more people had already bought the game.

I can put spin on it too! Rock Band costs $70 more than GH3.

Still happy about Rock Band outselling GH3.

inner-G

Banned
boo7z said:
They have hundreds (or maybe thousands) in stock. It means you can only order one at a time.
Availability: In stock on February 22, 2008. Order it now. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

inner-G

Banned
Tyrannical said:
It's just January numbers after a record breaking christmas. Nothing really to see until GTA:IV get's released.
Yeah, once J6P starts switching to this-gen en masse, it will get interesting...

jgwhiteus

inner-G said:
They have it labeled as 'in stock', but it says it will be 'in stock on Feb. 20'.

Does that mean they've sold out all the stock they will get on 2/20? o_O

From my understanding, Amazon has rolling shipments. Once they sell out a batch (usually in the dozens to hundreds, I think), they have to wait for a reorder from the manufacturer to come in. When I visited it showed 1 80GB PS3 left in stock - so once that's sold, Amazon won't get anymore until the 20th (though they often restock earlier than they say they will). Orders placed before then will be fulfilled from that shipment.

I don't think they order huge stockpiles generally - when they got their massive Wii shipment in November that sold out in 10 min., it was "only" 1400 units. It's probably part of the reason Amazon charts usually don't match up with nationwide sales, though it is useful to figure out if something's in supply (e.g. more Wii restocks this month = they must be shipping again finally).

Lightning

Banned
I am interested in the following if we know the info:

Uncharted sales
Burnout PS3 version sales
Assassin Creed sales

Do we have that info for January?

Shortages? What in the fuck are you people talking about? This is purely anecdotal, of course, but there have been stacks upon stacks of all consoles (except for the Wii) since October. I'm talking Best Buy, EB Games, etc.

Top Bottom