• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

AAK

The highest ever rated PS3 exclusive is released and the sales are still this pathetic. Sony really has abysmal marketing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PS360 versus Wii
Lifetime PS360 lead: 3,960,414 +- 10k
Wii lead over PS360 in 2008: 1,067,489 +- 10k

Wii's Jan-Oct sales beat any Jan-Nov sales in history
Wii's 10 month sales total in the US: 5,980,989 +- 10k
PS2's best 11 month sales total ever: ~5,700,000 (2002), ~4,370,000 (2003).
PS2's best year ever: 8,390,000 (2002).

... needless to say, the Wii is going to annihilate the PS2's best year record ever.

There really is no need to defend LPB, it's success will only be measured in a few months times. If the community takes hold it will be a huge success, if not it may well face a swift death.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Mrbob said:
Fable came out a week earlier.

So what does that have to do with Fallout 3 and LBP launching in the same week, same stunted period of sales, yet one doing much better?

Means we can't blame this on reporting period.

803k !!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

13251omg.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
purg3 said:
New IP and poor timing?
I think the timing isn't too bad-- it was a week before the big wheels started rolling-- but the IP question is curious to me. Some of the better selling games this gen are new IP (Gears), so wtf is up :\

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
fantastic sales for LBP, and I'm not even in on those yet!! good job guys.. will blast past 500K this year!

Frillen said:
I predict 1.5 Million for the Wii in November.

And :lol at some Sony fans in this thread. First it was 5 days, then 3 days and now 2 days? :lol :lol

Well, when you consider the delay, the end of the month, gas prices, early voting lines....

Count Dookkake said:
Paging Mama Robotnik.

Sorry, was caught unawares this week. Got nothing ready at the moment, GIFwise. First NPD since I joined in which this is the case. Damn!

Some stellar results for Nintendo. Their dominance in "just another month" by their casual titles and hardware is another reminder of the polarised level of success, this gen has brought forth.

As if we needed another reminder though!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Nintex] said:
Also what's up with Mario Kart Wii, it's a good game and all but hardly the best Mario Kart ever. I still can't believe that the GT Bonus Round thought that Fable 2 and Fallout 3 would bomb :lol

It is the funnest Mario Kart ever, according to the majority.

Grecco

While i think its interesting on how GHWT did not chart.

Neither did RockBand 2. Remember it was the first full month on PS3 and the Band Kits on X360

Haunted

Yeah, Dead Space is a bit of a downer there. Such a great game. Then again, it's not like any horror survival game set the charts on fire in recent memory.

Opus Angelorum said:
There really is no need to defend LPB, it's success will only be measured in a few months times. If the community takes hold it will be a huge success, if not it may well face a swift death.
It's all about the legs, baby.

Scum

[Wii] Wii Play - 7.134.000
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the 22nd consecutive month for Wii Play in the Top 10? If so, that's some truely awesome shit, right there! :lol

Mrbob

Yeah I would agree LBP was always going to be a game which is a slow burn.

I rented it and like it a ton, and plan on buying it. But with this holiday season so packed I'm going to hold off a couple months and see how the community churns out content. I'll definitely own the game within six months even though I didn't buy it on day one.

Also, MS is accomplishing with 360 what Sony wants to be done with PS3. Selling their IPs. MS has nailed a TON of hits this generation with their first party output.

BTW didn't wii music come out in October as well? Worldwide bomba, awesome. Go back to your garden miyamoto and attempt to come up with a good idea, since you are looking to be over the hill now and should just sit in the grandpa role from now on.

Grecco said:

Neither did RockBand 2. Remember it was the first full month on PS3 and the Band Kits on X360

again RB2 charted last month. no way it was gonna chart again this month with all the new releases.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Y2Kev said:
I think the timing isn't too bad-- it was a week before the big wheels started rolling-- but the IP question is curious to me. Some of the better selling games this gen are new IP (Gears), so wtf is up :\

That's why I said poor timing. It was one of those titles that was on the cusp of the huge title onslaught. I'm sure a lot of people were probably like, looks cool but "insert title" comes out in a few weeks, I'll wait. And like mentioned above, not having a demo probably hurt sales a lot.

Grecco said:

Perhaps people are just tiring of the genre. I know I have.

Scum said:
[Wii] Wii Play - 7.134.000
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the 22nd consecutive month for Wii Play in the Top 10? If so, that's some truely awesome shit, right there! :lol
It is, but imo it's not that awesome, accessories sales are always quite good. :)

Yes Boss! said:
It is fucking miserable...no way you can spin that Hoffman.

Not really.

Actually, I was wrong. PS3 sales are slightly up from September on a week-to-week basis.

September was a 5 week month, October was a 4 week month.

PS3 should have sold 185k based on September's figures. It did 190k. And traditionally the holiday bump doesn't occur until November unless a big title releases in October or September.

Last year, the PS3's sales actually declined on a week to week basis from September to October.

I don't think PS3 sales are 'great', just not 'miserable'. 360 sales are phenomenal, obviously, which in a relative position makes their sales look poor in comparison. No one really said that the PS3 had terrible sales last month, from what I can recall.

Mrbob said:
Also, MS is accomplishing with 360 what Sony wants to be done with PS3. Selling their IPs. MS has nailed a TON of hits this generation with their first party output.

Really good point. Fable 2 is a huge victory for them and their approach to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd parties.

Loudninja

Haunted said:
Yeah, Dead Space is a bit of a downer there. Such a great game. Then again, it's not like any horror survival game set the charts on fire in recent memory.

It's all about the legs, baby.

It didn't too too bad,considering how full October was.

Stoney Mason said:
Perhaps people are just tiring of the genre. I know I have.
Also bear in mind those full band kits ain't cheap, and a lot of people will be happy just to pick up the disc and use their existing instruments.

mr_nothin

Banned
Wtf @ people saying bad things about the LBP sales.

The game was out for 3 days and wasn't even marketed that much (relatively speaking).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wii Play lifetime sales in US: 7,134,000
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas PS2 lifetime sales in the US: 6,970,000

(yes, that does mean what you think it means, Wii Play is the best-selling single SKU title ever.)

Top Bottom