• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sept 2008 NPD Results

Elios83

LOL thos Wii sals are amazing, it's ridicolous, It's like Christmas every month even without big software for them :lol

PS3 and PS2 weekly sales are about the same of last month, PSP instead had a substantial drop probably because of the PSP 3000 announcement.
360 was obviously boosted by the price cut but the weekly boost isn't really dramatic considering the significant price drop and the Rock Band exclusive, it's about +42%, far less than the +100% MS was talking about at TGS.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Captain Smoker said:
USA: 3.086.000
Jap.: 1.767.000
E.U.: ~ 2.500.000 [rough estimate]
-----------------------
Total: 7.353.000

I think 10.000.000 is not a problem at this rate. :)

Yeah as soon as I posted I realized how conservative I was being.

Banned
dialmydrive said:
Sept:
TH = 34K
Ves = 37K
ha ha

ha ha ha ha

HA HA HA HA HA HA

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm surprised MS didn't push Vesperia more. Considering all the good hype it was getting from japan you figure MS would want to try to hit the same success here.

Too human....:lol

duk said:
good that it's being outsold?

1. There's a $200 difference between getting the cheapest 360 and the cheapest PS3.
2. The 360 got a roughly ~100K boost.
3. The PS3 remained flat.

I was expecting a much wider gap between the 360 and PS3. Specifically, I thought that PS3 sales would suffer from the consumer effect of seeing such a large pricing gap. It didn't happen.

Gazunta

Rlan said:
Requesting Sales Data for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed On PS2 and PSP

Please please please!!

So very cool to see a Krome game in the top 10. Way to GO Force Unleashed teams everywhere!! :)

Who wants to make a Kromevictory.gif?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
okrim said:
347.000 after the cut in my opinion it isn't a so good result for 360. PS3 to comparison not going so bad. However the 360 software going better.

Well, personally, both were above my expectations. PS3 held it's ground, for sure. However, I just can't see the PS3 generating any real excitement for this Holiday, especially with 360 cut + Gears 2. R2 and LBP are of course going to be awesome but I just don't think R2 is generating enough buzz. I could be totally off on that. LBP, while a brilliant game, is definitely a wild card when it comes to pushing units.

Plus you factor in the uncertain economic times we're in... economists are forecasting the worst retail environment in 20 years. That's a headwind for everyone, but when you're priced significantly above the other guys, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I wants me some LTD graphs, PantherLotus style.

Also, MAMA ROBOTNIK'S GIFS ARE HUGE - LIKE 10 MB HUGE. STOP QUOTING THEM DIRECTLY 10 TIMES PER PAGE. Put a link in if you have to, but don't quote the actual picture.

FrankT

_leech_ said:
1. There's a $300 difference between getting the cheapest 360 and the cheapest PS3.

I was expecting a much wider gap between the 360 and PS3. Specifically, I thought that PS3 sales would suffer from the consumer effect of seeing such a large pricing gap. It didn't happen.

$200 last timed I checked.

d+pad said:
Wow! I had no idea these two had racked up those kinds of numbers.

Anyone know what SSBB's LTD is?

Will be interesting to see what kind of numbers Wii Music and AC: City Folk put up in the ramp up to the holidays...
> 3.700.000

Banned
Kagari said:
Price is the issue here. 360 at $199, I really thought it would be close to Wii numbers. PS3 didn't do that bad for the cheapest model being twice as much as the cheapest 360 model.

The 360 is more expensive when you add in wifi and Live. At least that is what I have been told by the PS3 fans. Which is it?

Kagari said:
Price is the issue here. 360 at $199, I really thought it would be close to Wii numbers. PS3 didn't do that bad for the cheapest model being twice as much as the cheapest 360 model.

I think the arcade will come more into play at Christmas, at the moment its people buying the machine for themselves and they know they want the sku with a HD

The PS3 is the worst selling console out of the 3 for the the howmanyith time. It's software sells less on every multiplatform release. Forget the cost of the consoles and start pulling some hissy fits. I enjoy denial as much as the next guy but lets hear some fanboy anger about finising last in America this Gen. Who would have thought?
These used to be so much more fun.:D

FrankT

Anyone got LTDs on the consoles?

duk said:
guess how much it'll outsell ps3 come nov and dec?

Quite large and the only dynamic that can change that at this point is a serious price cut from Sony, which is highly unlikely at this point.

itxaka

Defeatist
Gazunta said:
Please please please!!

So very cool to see a Krome game in the top 10. Way to GO Force Unleashed teams everywhere!! :)

Who wants to make a Kromevictory.gif?

gazunta.gif

Not enough with that? ;-)

Good for Krome, badly for the psp version. I liked it :(

duk

Banned
_leech_ said:
1. There's a $200 difference between getting the cheapest 360 and the cheapest PS3.

Over 100k difference in the month of SEPT, what do u think the diff will be in Nov and Dec?

You need to look at the bigger picture.

Tom Penny

mr_bishiuk said:
I think the arcade will come more into play at Christmas, at the moment its people buying the machine for themselves and they know they want the sku with a HD

Sony will have nothing to counter the Gears 2 bundle that is sure to appear before the holidays unless they surprise us all....which they won't.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Karma said:
The 360 is more expensive when you add in wifi and Live. At least that is what I have been told by the PS3 fans. Which is it?

But do you need those to play games? I'm talking about base entry price.

Let's see... whose NPD responses are full of crap? Comparison time! :lol

No_Style's Predictions

[360] 390K
[NDS] 580K
[PS2] 180K
[PS3] 270K
[PSP] 300K
[WII] 560K

_leech_ said:
I would have expected at least 400K for the 360 due to the price drop, and the PS3 to be at sub-200K because of the stark pricing difference. I'm wrong on both...
No_Style said:
I am bewildered by this as well.
Predicted X360-PS3 difference was 120K. PS3 > 200K / X360 < 400K
Actual X360-PS3 difference is 114.8K.

DMeisterJ Predictions

[360] 300k
[NDS] 550k
[PS2] 130k
[PS3] 200k
[PSP] 240k
[Wii] 550k

DMeisterJ said:
PS3 did really good, I expected sub 200k

360 did okay, but I expected higher, 400k or more, given having the lowest price point.

MS can not be happy with this price drop, they only beat PS3 by 100k. PS3 did more than that during MGS4 month...
Predicted X360 was 300K. Not "400K or more".
Predicted PS3 was 200K... not < 200K.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Karma said:
Thankfully for MS, a lot of consumers don't realize that what comes included in a 360 box isn't as "complete" as what comes in a PS3 box.

The funniest thing about all of this is how the 360's price drop didn't effect PS2 sales much.

I was expecting the 199 Arcade to cut into the PS2's sales at 129....but apparently not.

Ridiculous Wii sales for the month. 360 sales, while decent, clearly show that the price drop isn't going to propel them into the stratosphere anytime soon.

okrim

Banned
CitizenCope said:
The PS3 is the worst selling console out of the 3 for the the howmanyith time. It's software sells less on every multiplatform release. Forget the cost of the consoles and start pulling some hissy fits. I enjoy denial as much as the next guy but lets here some fanboy anger about finising last in America this Gen. Who would have thought?
These used to be so much more fun.:D
Wat?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I thought 360 would go over 400K, but on one hand... there was no HUGE game released on Sept for 360. *sadface* a Tales of Vesperia doing so low. Excellent, EXCELLENT game, though I had to stop cold thanks my 360 RRODing but even then what I played is amazing and what I am sure I will play is even better. :D

Ash Sparrow said:
PS3 needs a price drop, headed for a dismal holiday it seems
It will be fine. I actually expected PS3 to sell less than 200k. Sony rather sell fewer consoles, but also make profit/break even/smaller loss. Back in June, MGS4 came out and PS3 basically doubled 360 sales, so even with the 360 spike (I could be wrong), Sony has still sold more consoles this year in the U.S. (not by a very big margin). Sony's goal right now is to make a profit in their gaming division, not lose more money. If they maybe did a pricecut, it would be $50 at the most I'd think to stay within the two 360 SKUs Elite and Pro (I mean, why should PS3 be $300 when you get WiFi, larger HDD, and blu-ray).

Top Bottom