• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino 2006 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

achilles

distantmantra said:
When the American broadcasters learn to stop talking over the entire opening ceremonies and show us more than just the American athletes, than we can talk.
:( I remember Bjork's performance at the opening...... and the fact that we Americans didn't get to see it >=(

Who the directs these things(the opening ceremony)?? "So we're gonna have people dress up in pointy tree costumes and cow print and have them dance dance dance!"

I liked the skiier though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
80s pop.

This is a pretty lackluster ceremony. The rings bit was nice. The rest was almost boring. Disappointing because the Athens ceremony was so freaking ridiculously amazing.

calder

Opening ceremonies are always so hilarious, but this dragging cows around is sheer genius. Who thinks up this shit?

Oh god, the bubbles are just great. Wish I was blazed to appreciate it properly.

border

Have we just witnessed the triumphant return of Slim Goodbody?

347a.jpg

Diablos

HEY GUYS DID YOU KNOW THEY WERE CARRYING THE FLAG OUT
WOW I COULDN'T FIGURE THAT OUT MYSELF

But honestly... I wish they would just shut the hell up. These announcers excel at one thing and one thing only: stating the obvious on a consistant basis. Unless you're talking about specific countries or athletes, shut up, my god.

edit: It appears that they've been quiet for over 60 seconds now!
Unbelievable! Someone is reading this thread!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
And the final performance was the only noteworthy one. Of course, Costas has to completely trash opera by saying it "brought the house down," something I don't think opera should ever be described as having done.

Oh and by the way

CANADIAN Brian Williams > all

And why do American commentators feel the need to talk all the time? Appreciate the moment for fucks sake!

<3 CBC

Diablos

BigJonsson said:
And why do American commentators feel the need to talk all the time? Appreciate the moment for fucks sake!
Haven't business folks told you anything?
"Appreciating" the moment is boring. It's too quiet! People change the channel and ratings are lost!

ronito

OMG!!! They got Pavarotti!!! He retired, and said he would never sing again not even in the shower. That was AWESOME!!!

acidviper

Banned
Place your bets on which country gets busted for performance enhancers.

I got to go with China, but they aren't stupid enough to get caught. Maybe Russia. Russia always gets caught.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Diablos said:
YMCA suits Slovania so well.[/sarcasm]

It's not Slovania, but Slovenia. But it was very funny indeed. 'High Fashion' of our team was just hilarious. :lol

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Good god, homeboy needs to lay off the rapehorn in this Russia/Sweden women's hockey match.

Peru

Luge is pretty cool, I can't name a single competitor, but it's a pretty extreme sport.. You put on some tights, hop on a plate and rush down at insane speeds. And that the top athletes actually can control those luges enough to "be good" at this sport is impressive.

Peru

Jennifer Heil, Canada, won womens moguls in a close race with last olympics winner Kari Traa Norway. Very intense competition.

Peru said:
Jennifer Heil, Canada, won womens moguls in a close race with last olympics winner Kari Traa Norway. Very intense competition.
Eh, it wasn't that close. She won by nearly a full point (Team Canada <3).
But yeah, love the moguls.

calder

Hurray for Jen Heil!

And, damn was Kari Traa looking hawt. Even with a helmet and toque on she was smoking.

Peru

Seen her half-nude photos?

Perspicacity said:
Eh, it wasn't that close. She won by nearly a full point (Team Canada <3).
But yeah, love the moguls.

Nearly a full point, what are you smoking? It was .15 . 26,50 - 25,65

calder

Canada vs Italy in women's hockey coming up... this could be painful. :lol

Is there a gf/ga element to the round robin? Will Canada need to beat them by as large a margin as possible for the medal round seedings? I hope not, those 15-0 games are depressing to watch.

Kon Tiki

Banned
calder said:
Canada vs Italy in women's hockey coming up... this could be painful. :lol

Is there a gf/ga element to the round robin? Will Canada need to beat them by as large a margin as possible for the medal round seedings? I hope not, those 15-0 games are depressing to watch.
Another shot on goal, another goal! :lol

8-0 Canada... Poor Italy. But that's what happens when the host country gets to compete in every event, regardless of whether they should be there or not (ie. the Greek baseball team).

Is Universal HD going to be showing anything other than hockey?

Manics

Banned
Apparently Michelle Kwan had to cut short her practice because of a "stiff groin". Anyone here have any ideas for her to loosen up that groin? :lol

I'm the first to jump on CBC's shittiness, but their Olympic coverage, as usual, is really good. Flipping back and forth between CBC and NBC really drives home how good the CBC is at what it does.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Hedrick is a freaking bullet.
Yeah, he's fucking crazy. He also made it look pretty easy, staying in form throughout. Though he was drooling like a rabid dog during the last two laps.

That Italian dude was pretty damn cool too. He was a good 5 seconds behind the pace with a few laps left and then he just flipped a switch or something. Mad props for fighting back for that bronze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom