• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

oil prices surges 10% after OPEC agrees output cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Same thing happened to Alaska.

Glad to see a little bump in prices. We need to diversify our sources of state income, and maybe this latest dip in prices will get the congresses asses in gear (lol, that is not going to happen) to start fixing things.

I'm not a huge expert at this, but I doubt it was OPEC that caused the crash in the first place, seeing as their production didn't rise all the much before and just right before the crash. It was more the shale oil boom in the US and the much lower than expected demand from China that caused the prices to drop.

American shale had a boom in production. SA increased in their production and didn't cut back so oil prices dropped. High oil prices benefit everyone in OPEC and some other countries, but many of them do not want to cut back for their own reasons. Oil prices might drop again because of oil prices being low oil drilling wasn't profitable, but now it is so American production will be increased again which might cause oil prices to fall again.

Also demand for oil has been low for awhile now high oil prices may or may not last.

jmdajr

Crazy but we really do need high gas prices to get alternative transportation moving.

I don't see shit at 100 dollars a barrel though.

Kthulhu

And it really fucking sucks that your local economy isn't diversified enough to absorb the hit. Look at coal country in the US, places that refused to diversified fell into localized depressions and stimulated mass exodus to richer regions. We as a species and we as the stewards of some of the most oil rich and ecologically diverse regions on Earth need to stop extracting fossil fuels. Both for the world to combat climate change, but also for our local environments. It's going to be hard, no way around that, but it needs to be done. The petrochemical industry needs to suffer and die. As I've linked, low oil prices are not having a depressing effect on renewable investment, so prices should stay low to encourage lower output and lower profits for oil companies until it's not profitable at all to extract fossil fuels any longer.

Okay. Are you gonna fork over your tax dollars to help diversify the economy?

mid83

And it really fucking sucks that your local economy isn't diversified enough to absorb the hit. Look at coal country in the US, places that refused to diversified fell into localized depressions and stimulated mass exodus to richer regions. We as a species and we as the stewards of some of the most oil rich and ecologically diverse regions on Earth need to stop extracting fossil fuels. Both for the world to combat climate change, but also for our local environments. It's going to be hard, no way around that, but it needs to be done. The petrochemical industry needs to suffer and die. As I've linked, low oil prices are not having a depressing effect on renewable investment, so prices should stay low to encourage lower output and lower profits for oil companies until it's not profitable at all to extract fossil fuels any longer.

Ignore the massive suffering that will occur to the economy worldwide alongside the countless jobs and careers that will be ruined over your hope that an entire industry is destroyed. Entire countries where oil is the main revenue source will enter major despressioms. Of course it's easy for you to say "oh it will be hard" when you aren't one of the people who's lives will be turned upside down directly by this. Then to have the audacity to essentially say "sorry you fucked up" to regions with major stakes in the oil business is rather disgusting. I'd like to think there are better options than ripping up millions of lives and destroying entire economies to keep the planet inhabitable in the long run.

Then again, your upside down American flag tells me you'd probably rather enjoy seeing the US economy crash and burn.

Ignore the massive suffering that will occur to the economy worldwide alongside the countless jobs and careers that will be ruined over your hope that an entire industry is destroyed. Entire countries where oil is the main revenue source will enter major despressioms. Of course it's easy for you to say "oh it will be hard" when you aren't one of the people who's lives will be turned upside down directly by this. Then to have the audacity to essentially say "sorry you fucked up" to regions with major stakes in the oil business is rather disgusting. I'd like to think there are better options than ripping up millions of lives and destroying entire economies to keep the planet inhabitable in the long run.

Then again, your upside down American flag tells me you'd probably rather enjoy seeing the US economy crash and burn.
Its not something that is going to happen overnight, not even in the next 10 years. These places and people have time to adapt, but they need to start now. The petrochemical industry needs to be ended. We need to stop using fossil fuels completely. We can use solar, wind, nuclear, tidal, etc for power generation. We can use electric for transportation. The world needs to make that transition. Saudi Arabia could use its oil wealth to build massive solar farms to provide power for the entire region for example.

And no, the flag flying upside down means dire distress and extreme danger to life or property. I added that to my avatar on November 9th and it will stay there as long as our nation is in mortal danger.

Bulzeeb

lets hope this helps to revitalize a bit the economy in my country, those corrupt politicians are starving since they are not getting enough revenue and are screwing us more than ever

Madness

why do you think our gas prices are only 22/24 cents per gallon

Because they try to be smart with the 'hurr durr Americans have it so easy hurr durr' superiority. Just gets tiring. High oil prices are never good for any society though, anyone who thinks otherwise lives in a bubble/ivory tower or is extremely privileged. High oil ans gas prices impact everything from travel to purchases. It will not transition anything quickly to electric cars because the majority of people cannot afford even a Model 3. They will just suffer paying more, their goods will still be delivered by oil, airline flights will cost more oil etc. while this greedy oil cartel artifically inflates prices.

Nothing hurt the Alberta oilsands or fracking industries in the US more than high oil prices. If you want a shift to renewable the last thing you want is to allow oil and gas companies to restart their production making tons of profit if your goal was to do away with these industries.

Using current conversion rates thats still not really some crazy outrageous sum to pay, thats pretty much what we pay in Sweden currently.

I don't disagree with you. However when you're used to, and budget around paying $2 - $2.50 for a gallon it has an impact. Not everyone can absorb that difference.

leroidys

Oil is finite. It's going to happen this century no matter what the price is.

UrokeJoe

I'm all for alternatives, but find it funny when people in the industry say yeah we need higher prices to encourage green technology?? The freaking fuck? Of course it helps but you are just losing gamblers asking for more time. Lets just cut to the chase the quickest and most beneficial way possible.

Telsa has been doing pretty well in these recent times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom