• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old PC games on the DS? When is it going to happen...

Pakkidis

The very thought of playing old pc adventure games on the DS has got to be an exciting prospect for any gamer. If I was running a pc game company *cue in Lucas Arts* and I saw the DS platform my first thought would be to bring the classics over to it.

A guy can dream can't he?

Been discussed before, some of the reworking would be a bit tricky, but yes, it is pretty much money sitting there waiting to be collected. Gamers would probably dream of a 3-5 game collection (or perhaps multiple), LucasArts would probably release only 1-2 games per packages, try selling two of those packages, then decide they aren't selling well enough and discontinue the idea.

So we'd get Monkey Island 1 & 2 and... say... Indiana Jones.

...There's an exact bundle pack just like that for PC. I picked it up in the UK for something like £8. Unless you're specifically requiring a DS version.

Actually, that's the tricky part, the games aren't that large until you include the voice packs (which really improve games like Sam & Max and DOTT). Even with some major compression, that'd probably be the reason why they couldn't get too many onto a game card. So either they'd have to leave the voices out, or piecemeal releases. Drat.

Yeah I've got the PC doublepack :) awesome

Some kind soul here linked me to the Maniac Mansion deluxe remake made on an Adventure game creation program... and it's so faithful it hurts.

This, along with the dig / monkey island / etc etc, just seems so suited for DS. Downgraded resolution and/or more-compressed/reduced-quality audio would make it fairly easy I'd of thought.

Even stuff like Myst, which I can't say I'm a huge fan of... it'd work really well.

considering how lucasarts sucks, I'd say never

too bad they'll never go bankrupt, they deserve it for cancelling Sam and Max 2

Vark

Kulock said:
...There's an exact bundle pack just like that for PC. I picked it up in the UK for something like £8. Unless you're specifically requiring a DS version.

Actually, that's the tricky part, the games aren't that large until you include the voice packs (which really improve games like Sam & Max and DOTT). Even with some major compression, that'd probably be the reason why they couldn't get too many onto a game card. So either they'd have to leave the voices out, or piecemeal releases. Drat.

You have to remember all the voice in those games were straight up WAV files. They had no compression at all.

With ScummVM you can recompress all the sound files into OGG format and the file sizes are quite manageable (and more in line with DS cart sizes.)

koam

Kulock said:
MP3 maybe, but could the DS handle decoding OGG along with actually running the games?

It's quite possible, we're going to be evaluating the possibility of this to use in our games. The arm7 is dedicated to sound, touch screen, mic and X&Y buttons while the ARM9 does mostly video. There might be enough power in the ARM7 to decompress OGG.

Top Bottom