• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oliver Hart & Bengt Holmström win 2016 Nobel economics prize for contract theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F07854d2a-8ed0-11e6-8df8-d3778b55a923

Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmström have been awarded the Nobel Prize for Economics in 2016 for their work on the theory of making contracts work to optimise the incentives faced by people.

Mr Hart, a Briton at Harvard University, and Mr Holmström, a Finn who teaches at the MIT, are the 48th recipients of the Nobel, which was announced by Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in Stockholm today. They will share a prize of 8m Swedish krona ($920,000) between them.

“Through their initial contributions, Hart and Holmström launched contract theory as a fertile field of basic research,” said the Nobel committee, adding: “Over the past few decades, they have also explored many of its applications. Their analysis of optimal contractual arrangements lays an intellectual foundation for designing policies and institutions in many areas, from bankruptcy legislation to political constitutions.”

He made his mark developing the theory of “incomplete contracts” in circumstances where it is impossible to specify every aspect of a contract. Much of his work aims to find out whether services should be run by the public or private sector.

Mr Hart’s model does not say whether private or public ownership was better, but specifies the conditions under which certain government services should be privatised while others should be left in the public sector.

Works

The Academy’s award cites multiple aspects of Holmstrom’s work on contracts that have contributed significantly to our understanding of the issue, dating to the 1970s.

One of these, the “informativeness principle,” was developed and published by Holmstrom in 1979, addressing the “principal-agent problem” (the structure of contracts between employers and employees). This principle suggests that optimal contracts should structure compensation based on “all outcomes that can potentially provide information about actions that have been taken,” as the Academy observes.

In the case of setting an executive’s compensation, for instance, that means a firm would reward the executive based on not just its own performance but also the performance of other firms in that sector — as way of evaluating not just the actions the executive took but those that he or she could have taken. Holmstrom’s 1979 paper on the subject, “Moral Hazard and Observability,” has been widely cited in the years since.

The Academy also cites a pair of insights about contract structures that Holmstrom developed in the early 1980s. In the 1982 paper “Moral Hazard in Teams,” he concluded that dividing a firm’s income among its workers could lead to a free-rider problem, in which some employees contribute less than others, relative to their compensation. In this case, Holmstrom suggested, outside ownership of firms can produce more flexible compensation and boost individual incentives.

Holmstrom co-authored another 1982 paper, “Managerial Incentive Problems: A Dynamic Perspective,” whose model of career trajectories was highlighted in the Academy’s announcement. As Holmstrom noted in the paper, current salaries do not necessarily neatly match employee performance; instead, firms may reward current performance with higher salaries to prevent employees from switching firms in a competitive labor market. However, these dynamics may not apply as effectively to later-career employees.

The prize announcement also cited an influential Holmstrom paper from 1991, “Multi-Task Principal-Agent Problems: Incentive Contracts, Asset Ownership and Job Design," co-authored with Paul Milgrom, as having “changed how economists think about optimal compensation schemes and job design.” This line of research observes that employees often have many tasks, not all of which are equally simple to measure, and that compensation can be structured to incentivize performance in all tasks, not just the most easily quantifiable.

Reaction

Reacting to the news, Mr Hart said: “I woke at about 4:40am and was wondering whether it was getting too late for it to be this year, but then fortunately the phone rang”.

“Contracts are just an incredibly powerful way of thinking about parts of economics. They’re just fundamental to the whole idea that trade is a quid pro quo and that there are two sides to a transaction,” said Mr Hart.

US economist Justin Wolfers described the pair as “an unarguably splendid pick”. He tweeted that Mr Hart was “brilliant, engaging and thoughtful”.

“Hart and Holmström’s work is all about our messy reality,” he added.

“I feel very luck and grateful”, said Mr Holmström, who is the Paul A. Samuelson professor of economics at MIT. “I certainly did not expect it, at least at this time. I was very surprised and very happy, of course.”

Contract theory informs everything from the nature of insurance contracts to the behaviour of politicians, said the Nobel committee.

SourcesThere was speculation last week that Paul Romer had won the prize when a leak had named him a winner.

Romer is very influential - he is known for his work on endogenous growth models in the 1980s, which views that TFP (Total factor productivity or the rate of technological progress) is determined internally rather than externally to economic forces (which is an assumption held by exogenous growth models - most famous being the Solow model). Many economic undergraduates might recognise endogenous growth models such as the AK, Human Capital and R&D growth models.

There are some interesting applications of these growth models to literature such as the British Industrial Revolution and Asian TIGERS growth.

Toxi

Banned
Oliver Hart & Bengt Holmström win 2016 Swedish National Bank's Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel for contract theory

Volotaire

Oliver Hart & Bengt Holmström win 2016 Swedish National Bank's Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel for contract theory

Technical terms aside, most people understand it as the Nobel economics prize. Moreover, the above does not fit in the title - the more important aspect that I could not fit was the details of his work on contract theory.

I see that we have come to the non-science part of the award show.

Next up, the award for Astrology.

Comparing astrology to economics is reductive. This particular award has little/no relation to predictive models. There is a large pool of empirical data and econometric analysis that leads credence of many economic theories.

Toxi

Banned
Technical terms aside, most people understand it as the Nobel economics prize. Moreover, the above does not fit in the title - the more important aspect that I could not fit was the details of his work on contract theory.
I'm just poking fun at the fact it's not actually a Nobel prize. The guys' work sounds interesting reading your linked news articles.
Imagine thinking economics is a science.
It is. Economics is a soft/social science.

Volotaire

Look forward to the planet money podcast covering this.

I've never heard of this podcast. I'll give this a try. I suggest Econ Talk which has a distinguished set of guests under its belt. The host is a previous macroeconomics research student (a bit economically right but its good to hear different perspectives).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom