• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics sponsors want nothing to do with Team USA shooters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lmo911

Her life basically centers around shooting sports, so obviously she's a 1-issue voter for the most part. You do realize that many of the huge corporate sponsors are run by conservatives, right?

As for the NRA thing, one of the dumbest things you can do as a parent is build an intrigue around guns for your kids and not teach them early on that they are not toys. What is it with anti-gun people thinking that teaching kids to respect guns and understand gun safety is such a travesty?

I don't think anyone is saying that you shouldn't teach you children early on that guns are dangerous. But I don't think the NRA is the right organization to do that considering its zealot like stance on all thing pew pew and the fact the kid is three. I would have to observe the class myself before making any kind of judgement call, but I would be extremely skeptical.

norm9

Pretty simple really. These companies are afraid of the backlash and probable calls for a boycott from the anti-gun and gun control crowd.

Unfair for the athlete. But these companies are thinking about money.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Japan and GB are in shooting events, and from what I can tell, those countries have pretty strict gun control laws. The 2nd amendment being repealed wholesale will not stop people from getting target guns.

LoveCake

With a name like "Team USA shooters", I wouldn't want anything to do with them either.

What if this were "Team USA shooters" though?
Q0VVtKO.gif

I think though it is down to Coca~Cola, P&G etc not wanting to associate their brand with guns, they would also want value for money and marketing opportunities, however the people involved in the team should still get recognition for their achievements, this year and for the previous results.

Oh no! What a travesty!

What about Basketball, where we typically dominate to the point where it isn't even fair to other countries' teams? Marksmanship isn't anything new, and in many shooting events the US isn't even close to being dominant.

This is GAF, after all. My relatively supportive views on (responsible) firearms ownership makes me clash with the dominant anti-gun rhetoric here. Competitive shooting is growing where I live. A skeet shooter (got a bronze) did well at the Olympics and what did our national news outlets do about it? They buried the story, because it doesn't fit their agenda of 'guns are evil and there are no sporting uses ever'.

Paganmoon said:
Nofunallowed.jpg

The paintball association in Sweden tried to join the "sports shooting federation" of Sweden a few years ago (as they are a very small association and wanted to join under the umbrella of a larger federation), and got a resounding "NO!" from them, as they found it appalling that you pretty much use other people as live target practice.
I'm sure it would not go over very well with the IOC either.

Also, if I recall correctly, Eurosport tried televising paintball a few years ago, on the bigger tournaments, it was a dud, as it's pretty hard to follow live, if you don't play it yourself.

Used to play paintball until I discovered airsoft, because the aesthetics are SO MUCH BETTER. I prefer real looking guns over some weird looking alien blasters. Also you can shoot further with airsoft guns with more accuracy. A guy in my class plays tournament paintball though. His team won a student paintball competition recently. Our paintball association is heavily pushing to become a recognized sport here and distancing themselves from the whole woodsball thing, whilst our airsoft association doesn't give a fuck xD

someday

Banned
Well you know if they bothered to even air it then maybe people would watch. There are a bunch of sports they dont bother covering, how do you know people wont watch if you wont try?
I don't know about the woman in the OP but I'd definitely watch the Witcher fan compete if NBC ever showed anything like that at a decent time (or at all).
I wonder how the athletes in other shooting disciplines fair. The guns and athletes look so weird it feels hard to even still connect it to real life shooting.

YlYU94w.jpg

Vitalina-Batsarashkina-Witcher-3.jpg

Just hangin. Shootin thangs. Whatevs.

Kinyou

Her life basically centers around shooting sports, so obviously she's a 1-issue voter for the most part. You do realize that many of the huge corporate sponsors are run by conservatives, right?
I get that guns are important to her, but this fear that democrats would ban them seems silly. Also why now under Hillary but not Obama? Also sport shooting is something that's always possible, even in countries with very strict gun laws.
I bet you can get sponsors more easily if you look as cool as that Russian lady
Would be amazing if CDproject decides to sponsor her

I don't think anyone is saying that you shouldn't teach you children early on that guns are dangerous. But I don't think the NRA is the right organization to do that considering its zealot like stance on all thing pew pew and the fact the kid is three. I would have to observe the class myself before making any kind of judgement call, but I would be extremely skeptical.

The NRA offers tons of safety-related classes for kids and adults. Despite what many seem to think, mass shootings aren't really great for the NRA's business, as they have to rev up their lobbying machine to fight the inevitable (and usually reasonable) push for additional regulation. They want people to use guns responsibly so their politics can be protected.

Her son is growing up in a home with guns, with a mother who shoots professionally, and will be surrounded by "gun culture" for his entire childhood. It's reasonable to teach him about guns and safety at an early age.

Nottle

The hand in the pocket stance is just about the most awesome thing ever. No fucks given. One hand, motherfucker. Other hand in the pocket because I don't need that shit.
Look at this Jotaro Kujo, Minato Arisato, Ringo Roadagain styling mother fucker!

Also I bet she could have gotten gold but got silver on purpose just because the Witcher.

Fox Mulder

Congrats to her for the accomplishment, but corporate sponsors aren't touching it because no one gives a shit.

It's not politics or gun violence.

Dileas

3gun would make for a much more interesting sport to add to the Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9EJKxlQgOw

Basically it combines target shooting with a timed obstacle course that requires you to move, shoot and reload with 3 different guns.

Looks like a lot more fun to watch too.

Would be neat. But most countries have pretty restrictive gun laws, making it difficult to muster up a decent amount of competitors internationally.

zou

As for the NRA thing, one of the dumbest things you can do as a parent is build an intrigue around guns for your kids and not teach them early on that they are not toys. What is it with anti-gun people thinking that teaching kids to respect guns and understand gun safety is such a travesty?

Who says I'm anti-gun? And those sponsors may or may not be conservative themselves, but their companies for the most part aren't. Especially not when it comes to social issues.

Usobuko

Banned
At first I thought she was 13 then I realized it's actually 17 when she went to her first olympic.

They should make it like American gladiators where you have to shoot the turret guy.

Only with real guns. Ratings will go through the roof.

But paintball would work and that would really awesome. Russian turret guy. Competing countries trying to shoot one another.

This is how wars should be decided. You lose you lose.

Laekon

The NRA offers tons of safety-related classes for kids and adults. Despite what many seem to think, mass shootings aren't really great for the NRA's business, as they have to rev up their lobbying machine to fight the inevitable (and usually reasonable) push for additional regulation. They want people to use guns responsibly so their politics can be protected.

Her son is growing up in a home with guns, with a mother who shoots professionally, and will be surrounded by "gun culture" for his entire childhood. It's reasonable to teach him about guns and safety at an early age.

This is bullshit. Mass shootings are great for gun sales and that is what the NRA cares about. The NRA pushes how you need a gun to protect yourself from the other guy with a gun(well only the black and brown people with guns). I recently watched a YouTube video about the California bullet button law and the ad that played first was from the NRA using the Orlando shooting and saying how the democrats want to keep you from protecting yourself.

I like guns, especially clay shooting, but I would vote yes in an instant on giving up quick release mags on pistols and rifles, the gun show and private sales loop holes, and magazines over 10 rounds at the national level.

Watching people target shoot is one of the most boring things possible.

Jinkies

Whether it's justified or not, shooting isn't regarded very highly in the pantheon of athletic events.

It might be considered one notch up from eSports and chess.

Toxi

Banned
Kinda crazy she's literally been winning medals for 20 years. I guess age isn't nearly as much of a factor in shooting.

numble

Which major corporate sponsors are you talking about?

Pepsi: CEO Nooya, all donations to Democrats.
Coca-Cola: CEO Kent, donated full amount to Clinton, nothing to Trump.
Nike: CEO Parker, only donation this cycle is $10,000 to Oregon Democratic party.

Keasar

I wonder how the athletes in other shooting disciplines fair. The guns and athletes look so weird it feels hard to even still connect it to real life shooting.

YlYU94w.jpg

I must say, found it really awesome to see the Witcher medallion in there. :p

Khaz

Nofunallowed.jpg

The paintball association in Sweden tried to join the "sports shooting federation" of Sweden a few years ago (as they are a very small association and wanted to join under the umbrella of a larger federation), and got a resounding "NO!" from them, as they found it appalling that you pretty much use other people as live target practice.
I'm sure it would not go over very well with the IOC either.

Also, if I recall correctly, Eurosport tried televising paintball a few years ago, on the bigger tournaments, it was a dud, as it's pretty hard to follow live, if you don't play it yourself.

Fencing is also pretty hard to follow if you don't know the rules, and has other people as live targets. Minor sport don't get following outside of the olympics (outside of the practicing crowd), Eurosport don't even bother with World Fencing Championship which is just as tense as the olympic event.

If you want to receive sponsorships from companies who are hesitant to associate with real-life shootings, maybe don't accept sponsorships from firearms manufacturers.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Olympic* shooter here.

I'm honestly tired from 2nd amendment nutters at Reddit/IMGUR/Facebook/whatever internet pond going bananas over the BIG BAD MSM ignoring Kim Rhode because they hate guns and stuff. Largely because in my experience most of those folks are AR-toting dudebros who don't give the faintest of the farts about olympic shooting as we are the weirdos doing pussy stuff with puny pistols/rifles.

They basically ignore the sport until they can use it to make a point. So fuck them.

Besides, olympic shooting as an spectator is as engaging as seeing paint dry, and I say this as a shooter. Nobody is going to pay attention to the sport unless they move towards three gun or other IPSC-like competitions.

*I compete in olympic disciplines, I'm not an actual olympian.

BokehKing

Banned
Well you know if they bothered to even air it then maybe people would watch. There are a bunch of sports they dont bother covering, how do you know people wont watch if you wont try?
This....

"Well no one cares about that sport anyway!"

Well....have you tried airing it more than once and not during odd hours of the the night instead of poker?

Not just shooting but any sport that's not main stream. To me, Golf is hella boring but a lot of people watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom