• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG! THE NEW Björk ALBUM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check Out:

New World
5 Years
Joga
Pluto
Cocoon
Domestica
Army of Me
Enjoy
All is Full Of Love
Amphibian
Isobel
Pagan Poetry
Aurora
Hunter
Immature
It's In Our Hands
Play Dead
Human Behavior
Unison
Headphones
Bachelorette

Yeah, I've been pumped for this since it was unofficially called The Lake Album. I still wonder how the hell she comes up with these titles. The titles of each album reflect the tone of the album, but does she go up to her office and tell someone "Find a word that means the innermost part of a living creature?"

One cool thing about this album is that it will not contain any instruments, and instead will be all vocals. Not to say there won't be beats, but the beats themselves will be tweaked vocals. AND, Rahzel is involved.

Bjork = Hip-Hop

Hooker

Zero, go listen to her Greatest Hits album. You may need to hear it a couple of times before you can appreciate it, but once you do... it's soooo good

Yóga, Bachelorette & Pagan Poetry are my favourite songs. (Yóga LIVE is so much better though, it doesn't have that annoying technical mumbo jumbo in there :p)

scola said:
Is this the album that is composed entirely out of sounds mad with the human mouth?

Yes.

But don't expect barbershop or anything. Björk, Matmos, and Mark Bell will put the voices through so many effetcs that you probably won't be able to tell. The new songs she played during the GH tour (such as "Mouth's Cradle," and "Nameless") sort of give a hint as to how it will sound, as does the song she did for the Spike Jonze HC skate vid, "Synchronicity."

tt_deeb

Star Power said:
Yes.

But don't expect barbershop or anything. Björk, Matmos, and Mark Bell will put the voices through so many effetcs that you probably won't be able to tell. The new songs she played during the GH tour (such as "Mouth's Cradle," and "Nameless") sort of give a hint as to how it will sound, as does the song she did for the Spike Jonze HC skate vid, "Synchronicity."

Don't forget Mike Patton's in it! BOO-YAY!

If any of you guys get a chance to see her live, do it! It was easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. Her voice ss unmatched by anyone I've ever heard live.

btw- this is coming from the lead singer of a Metal band. I've seen and played more shows then most have ever been to. I speak the truth on this one. ;)

I'm just guessing, but I'd say early next month.

Also, rumor has it that Björk will be performing @ the Olympics opening ceremony on August 11th.

KingGondo

Banned
Anybody who's interested should pick up her compilation of videos on DVD, it's called Volumen:1993-2003. The videos are all fantastically innovative. You can probably find it for about $15 at B&N or Best Buy.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
my GOD

dear bjork,
please release album asap
best, me

from what i've read, she is going to do two albums before touring again.. BUT!
clipunderground speaks the truth - if anyone gets the chance to see her live (as anyone in the US or europe will most likely get... not like here in aus :(, do it. pay anything you can. bjork is awesome live, i saw her in march 95 touring for 'post', live at belvoir ampitheatre which is a smallish venue out in the foothills of perth. the atmosphere was electric through the whole set and her voice was just unbelievable.. hopefully she'll come down to the ass end of the world again ;P ooo AND it was only A$35.. GOLD

Bjork Voices "Medulla"

New album to consist solely of vocals

"Instruments are so over," says Bjork of her new, purely vocal album, Medulla, due out late August/early September.

"I think this was probably the most intuitive album I've done," she continues. "I had to use ingredients that I trusted, like my voice, my muscles, my bones. I couldn't really use all the other stuff."

Rahzel of the Roots -- known as "the Human Beatbox" -- supplies the percussive bass line for a majority of the songs, and the album also features collaborations with Inuit throat-singer Tanya Tagaq and former Faith No More frontman Mike Patton. The sound is primitive, full of brooding menace on "Where Is the Line" and soaring, breathy romance on "The Pleasure Is All Mine."

Following Medulla's release, Bjork will continue working in the studio rather than go on tour.

"Every album I've done, the minute that it's done, I feel really lubricated and, like, 'Wow, now I can write an album in five minutes,'" she says. "And I just want to find out if that's just a fantasy or if it's true."

Star Power said:
Bjork Voices "Medulla"

New album to consist solely of vocals

"Instruments are so over," says Bjork of her new, purely vocal album, Medulla, due out late August/early September.

"I think this was probably the most intuitive album I've done," she continues. "I had to use ingredients that I trusted, like my voice, my muscles, my bones. I couldn't really use all the other stuff."

Rahzel of the Roots -- known as "the Human Beatbox" -- supplies the percussive bass line for a majority of the songs, and the album also features collaborations with Inuit throat-singer Tanya Tagaq and former Faith No More frontman Mike Patton. The sound is primitive, full of brooding menace on "Where Is the Line" and soaring, breathy romance on "The Pleasure Is All Mine."

Following Medulla's release, Bjork will continue working in the studio rather than go on tour.

"Every album I've done, the minute that it's done, I feel really lubricated and, like, 'Wow, now I can write an album in five minutes,'" she says. "And I just want to find out if that's just a fantasy or if it's true."

wow...that's....interesting. o_O Guess we'll see how it turns out soon.

It'll be amazing. She played the song "Where Is the Line?!" live a few times in 2003, and it's amazing.. and it doesn't even seem like all vocals. In fact, I swear I hear strings...

teepo

Star Power said:
It'll be amazing. She played the song "Where Is the Line?!" live a few times in 2003, and it's amazing.. and it doesn't even seem like all vocals. In fact, I swear I hear strings...

EEP. i loved that song to death. i have a pretty good live recording of it. if that how her new album is going to sound like then i'll be damned!

bjork

Necroscope said:
I am Bjork fan and I got all her solo album after she left sugar cube but I don't like her last album. Nothing memorable.

Likewise. I thought everything up through Selmasongs was awesome, but Vespertine just didn't grab me. Good songs and all, but nothing I'd play over and over.

Still like gling glo the best out of all the albums she's on.

nitewulf

Hawksley said:
Nice.

I'm still waiting for the new Tea Party album, too. :eek:

Tea Party rocks! they have the best cover of painted in black.

oh yeah i dont like bjork much, i just find her music extremely weird.

bjork

I didn't realize how out of the bjork loop I was until I saw a series of live concert CDs at Best Buy... usually I know about these things well before release. :(

Its not the popular opinion, but I think that every album she has put out has been better than the previous. Hopefully this trend continues.

I think one of the best Bjork tunes is a MAW remix of "Violently Happy", but that's just me. I love her* & I'm eagerly awaiting Medulla!

*my wife hates her, though :/

Bjork's Got The Beat On New Album

Bjork's upcoming album, "Medulla," finds the artist singing over rhythms fashioned by such beatboxers as former Roots member Rahzel, Shlomo and Dokaka. As previously reported, the 14-track set is due Aug. 31 via Elektra. It was produced by Bjork, with assistance on four tracks by longtime collaborator Mark Bell.

Other guests include Fantomas/Mr. Bungle principal Mike Patton, singer/songwriter Robert Wyatt (on the duet "Submarine"), classical vocalist Gregory Purnhagen, Inuit throat singer Tagaq and the Icelandic and London Choirs. Programming was supplied by Matmos, Mum's Valgeir Sigurdsson, Olivier Alary and Jake Davies.

A limited edition of "Medulla" will sport expanded artwork and a 16-panel poster. According to her spokesperson, Bjork is not expected to embark on a full tour in support of its release. It is unclear if select dates are a possibility.

"Medulla" is the follow-up to 2001's "Vespertine," which debuted at No. 19 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 368,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Here is the track listing for "Medulla":

"Pleasure Is All Mine"
"Show Me Forgiveness"
"Where Is the Line?"
"Vokuro"
"Oll Birtan"
"Who Is It (Carry My Joy on the Left, Carry My Pain on the Right)"
"Submarine"
"Desired Constellation"
"Oceania"
"Sonnets/Unrealities XI"
"Piano II"
"Mouths Cradle"
"Wednesday (Midvikudags)"
"Triumph of a Heart"

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

and one track leaked!!

Well.. it just appeared, it's labeled "Triumph," so maybe it's "Triumph of a Heart." You can find it on sobjork.tk

That song was pretty good.

About the album, I wonder what the duet is going to be like, and I hope she reigned in Tagaq. Tagaq went a little over the top on the live AN Echo, A Stain.

(from pitchforkmedia.com...)

Details Emerge on Björk's Medulla
Beatboxing members of Spoon, Flaming Lips still waiting for that invite

Miles Barger reports:
If you've been following Pitchfork's recent news coverage of Björk, you already know that the diminutive diva's follow-up to 2001's icy Vespertine sports the title Medulla, and that it will feature, in typical Björkian fashion, contributions from her innumerable artist freak pals. If you were reading closely, you also know that one of these contributors is a Japanese beatbox artist named Dokaka. What you didn't know is that Björk apparently has plans to base much of the album-- if not its entirety-- on rhythmic structures created by mouth alone.

In a recent Rolling Stone article, Björk proclaimed that "instruments are so over." So, uh, what does that mean? Well, it means that, according to Billboard, Medulla will rely primarily on vocals, with Björk barking her charmingly broken English lyrics over beatbox rhythms. To this end, she's employed not just Dokaka, but also Shlomo (reportedly "the next step for the UK beatbox") and beatboxing legend Rahzel-- best known as a current member of The Roots, but formerly a collaborator with Grandmaster Flash and LL Cool J-- who will provide the equivalent of basslines for many of Medulla's 14 tracks.

The mouthbeats will, of course, be accompanied by more melodic vocal sounds, ranging from the trained classicism of Gregory Purnhagen and the Icelandic and London choirs, to the wildly original sounds provided by Inuit throat-singer Tanya Tagaq, and Mike Patton, the shrieking madman behind Mr. Bungle and Faith No More. Additionally, Matmos, Múm's Valgeir Sigurdsson, Olivier Alary (of Rephlex recording artists Ensemble), and Jake Davies (who has mixed previous releases by Björk, Madonna, William Orbit, and others) will contribute their programming skills.

It seems that all this reliance on the larynx stems from Björk's desire to mind-meld with Mother Nature. In an interview appearing in this month's W Magazine, Björk revealed that she was inspired by "paganism, and the rather esoteric idea of returning to a universe that is entirely human-- without tools or religion or nationalities."

Medulla is set to be released on August 31st via Elektra Records, and will appear in both CD and SACD formats. Also, Björk djörks should take note that a limited edition of the LP will feature expanded artwork and a 16-panel poster. The first single is expected to be "Oceania", which Björk is scheduled to perform live at the Olympic Games in Athens.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Star Power said:
Cover art!

medcover.jpg

LMAO!!! Bjork OWNED!! I am truely ROFLMAO! That has to be one of the funniest pics I have ever seen.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
meh

Sugarcubes>bjork

infact, Kate Bush and Siouxsie>bjork

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom