• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On May Day, workers of the world unite - and protest

Indicate

Edit: Portland is crazy right now. Things set on fire. Gas, flash bangs fired by Police.
Edit: It's calm now.

Livestreams below.

Europeans took to the streets on Monday, celebrating the international workers' holiday of May Day with an assortment of rallies and demonstrations, which in France turned violent as protesters threw petrol bombs at police.

One Paris police officer was seriously burnt and two others injured in confrontations with protesters.

In Turkey, police fired tear gas and rubber bullets to break up demonstrations and arrested hundreds.

A small group of Italian demonstrators clashed with police as they tried to break through a police barrier in the northern city of Turin. The spokesman for Belgium's Workers Party was knifed in the leg at a rally in Liege.

Elsewhere, South Africa's President Jacob Zuma abruptly left a rally he was due to address as workers booed him and fights broke out between his supporters and opponents.

In the United States, unions and activists planned protests against U.S. President Donald Trump.

In Paris, protesters threw petrol bombs and makeshift missiles at police, injuring at least three officers. Television showed police officers trying to shake out flames from their riot gear and clouds of tear gas enveloping the streets around the Bastille monument.

The clashes foreshadowed the approaching confrontation between Emmanuel Macron and Marine Le Pen, the two winners of the first round of France's presidential election. They will meet in a second-round vote on Sunday, and each verbally attacked the other at May Day rallies.

Similarly, the violence in Turkey echoed clashes in last month's referendum between those who backed giving President Tayyip Erdogan sweeping new powers and those who opposed him. Erdogan narrowly won that referendum.

May Day protests are an annual event in Turkey, but this year's holiday takes place in the uneasy aftermath of last July's failed coup, in which 240 people died. Since then, about 120,000 people have been suspended or sacked from their jobs in a series of purges. More than 40,000 have been arrested.

NYC

1 (ended)

Seattle

1, 2 (ended)

Portland

1/ 2/ 3 /4

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Move to EU and you'll get a day off and be part of a riot (depending on where you are)
UK here am moving to France soon.
Part of my shift pattern is I do 7 a Day fortnight
Downside I sometimes am on shift during bank holidays xmas etc .
Up side alternating weeks I only work two days and have a three day weekend

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
There's always got to be some people to make you feel guilty for not being productive on a bank holiday.

Look, I fixed my new TV! I had to go out and buy a screwdriver and everything.

"What did you do on your bank holiday, Francoise?" "Oh, nothing much, just fighting the police in a protest against our capitalist masters." For fuck's sake

aBarreras

Except here in America of course.

We don't even celebrate May Day. its a disgrace.

dont us celebrate labor day which is the same?

or what does may day conmemorates? i know that in mexico is labor day "dia del trabajo" but i didnt know it had bigger implications

wandering

Banned

or what does may day conmemorates? i know that in mexico is labor day "dia del trabajo" but i didnt know it had bigger implications

May Day is also International Workers' Day, which is explicitly leftist. American Labor Day lacks the leftist overtones.

Indicate

zBfK4z0.jpg

Its getting intense in the portland streams

ReAxion

i read something about rocks being thrown at the cops in portland.

a dude just lit a newspaper thing on fire in the street.

pa22word

May Day commemorates the may 1st haymarket massacre in Chicago iirc.

Izayoi

Banned
Seattle seems to be peaceful, so far.

Knock on wood, as I'm not off until 8PM.

C'mon guys, keep it organized. ;_;

CrazyDude

It is not needed, nor fitting here [in discussing the Civil War] that a general argument should be made in favor of popular institutions; but there is one point, with its connections, not so hackneyed as most others, to which I ask a brief attention. It is the effect to place capital on an equal footing with, if not above, labor, in the structure of government. It is assumed that labor is available only in connection with capital; that nobody labors unless somebody else, owning capital, somehow by the use of it induces him to labor. This assumed, it is next considered whether it is best that capital shall hire laborers, and thus induce them to work by their own consent, or buy them, and drive them to it without their consent. Having proceeded thus far, it is naturally concluded that all laborers are either hired laborers or what we call slaves. And further, it is assumed that whoever is once a hired laborer is fixed in that condition for life.

Now, there is no such relation between capital and labor as assumed, nor is there any such thing as a free man being fixed for life in the condition of a hired laborer. Both these assumptions are false, and all inferences from them are groundless.

“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. Capital has its rights, which are as worthy of protection as any other rights. -Abe Lincoln

Madness

portland police always seem so dang heavy handed

im sure there were a lot of assholes causing various degrees of mischief, but still

I don't know, they were fine until people in hoodies and black masks started shattering windows, tossing flares, lighting fires and smashing windshields. Are they not supposed to declare it a riot at that point and crackdown?

I just moved to Portland, so having this happen right next to where I live is a little nuts. Part of me wants to check it out, but the other part wants to stick home.

Top Bottom