• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ONE FOOTBALL FUTURE - BYE-BYE VISUAL CONCEPTS & ESPN FOOTBALL

EA signs exclusive football deal

Mon Dec 13, 2004 04:44 PM ET
LOS ANGELES, Dec 13 (Reuters) - Video game publisher Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Monday said it has signed an exclusive deal with the National Football League and the league's players, giving EA sole rights to put NFL players and teams in its games.

Terms of the five-year deal were not disclosed.

hyp

that's horrible. not that espn football was giving them loads of competition, but still. how can you respect a move like that.

Dave Long

Banned
If you can't beat 'em, buy the exclusive rights to the IP!

Sega can at least take solace in the fact they stuck it to Madden for one year in a way strong enough to make EA pay big dollars for exclusive rights.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Visual Concepts develops more than just NFL games, and more than just sports games for that matter.

Dave Long said:
If you can't beat 'em, buy the exclusive rights to the IP!

Sega can at least take solace in the fact they stuck it to Madden for one year in a way strong enough to make EA pay big dollars for exclusive rights.

Well,

Take-Two should have seen this coming. EA was willing to kick their asses on a straight up fight, but Take-Two had to go and try and fight by removing all profit from both sides.

number386

That means every other football games is gone too nfl fever, gameday. EA has a monopoly on football games, I dont like where this is heading.

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
EA signs exclusive football deal

Mon Dec 13, 2004 04:44 PM ET
LOS ANGELES, Dec 13 (Reuters) - Video game publisher Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Monday said it has signed an exclusive deal with the National Football League and the league's players, giving EA sole rights to put NFL players and teams in its games.

Terms of the five-year deal were not disclosed.

What the FUCK?

Hooooboy.

And for the record, it's shit like this that makes me hate EA (and Sony) so goddamn much. It's all about fucking the gamers for their cash.

Iceman said:
And the NFL thinks this is a good move because?

Uhhh...

They'll make alot more money. EA was losing $20 of profit because of ESPN, so if they were just willing to double the amount they paid the NFL, EA will still be miles ahead.

hyp

my next question is... how much did EA pay the nfl for the rights? must have been at least 1/2 of what they had in the bank.

i can't helped but be pissed off by this. not a big football gaming fan, but this news worries me.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if anyone was unconvinced that ea is basically malignant, here you go. i don't care about football games, so i just find this amusing. but they're only growing bolder and fatter. i wonder what their next outrage will be.

ESPN XFL FOOTBALL 2006

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I predict lawsuit.

Konami did the exact same thing with the Japanese baseball and soccer leagues a few years back. They eventually got sued by the baseball players' league and were forced to license out their rights cheaply to anyone who asked.

jedimike

Honestly, I'm sick of football sims anyway. The more realistic they make them, the more boring they become. I haven't bought a Madden yet this generation, but I'm not buying an ESPN without the license. Maybe I'll take another look at NFL Blitz.

Fifty

Retarded DBs around the world are crying right now.

Seriously, it's not a good move.....but I guess when people are buying ESPN, EA has to flex its muscles.

Willco

Hollywood Square
drohne said:
if anyone was unconvinced that ea is basically malignant, here you go. i don't care about football games, so i just find this amusing. but they're only growing bolder and fatter. i wonder what sort of outrage they'll pull next.

ESPN XFL FOOTBALL 2006

:lol

ESPN CFL FOOTBALL 2K6

ESPN ARENA FOOTBALL LEAGUE

ESPN MUTANT FOOTBALL LEAGUE

etc.

GhaleonEB

drohne said:
if anyone was unconvinced that ea is basically malignant, here you go. i don't care about football games, so i just find this amusing. but they're only growing bolder and fatter. i wonder what their next outrage will be.

ESPN XFL FOOTBALL 2006

PS3 only plays EA games, coming in 2005

Mrbob

Whelp, looks like it is Madden only for me from now on. Without players names and team rights, I won't spend two dollars on ESPN. No matter how cool the leagues are. Thanks EA. :(

ESPN CFL 2K6?!?

Drey1082

Willco said:
This is AWESOME.

Madden has always been the best anyway!

And I'm sure they'll be motivated to improve their games leaps and bounds every year too, since they now have no direct competition whatsoever.

explodet

GhaleonEB said:
MS canned Fever this year; Gameday was pretty much toast anyway.
:lol Yeah, I know, my post was just sarcasm. It was pretty much a two-game race between VC and EA this year.

Still, crazy, crazy news.

Press Release Source: Electronic Arts

EA Enters into Exclusive Agreements with NFL and PLAYERS INC to Expand and Integrate Customer Entertainment Experience
Monday December 13, 4:38 pm ET

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 13, 2004--Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:ERTS - News) today announced exclusive licensing relationships with the National Football League and PLAYERS INC to develop, publish and distribute interactive football games. These five-year agreements -- which EA negotiated separately -- give EA the exclusive rights to the NFL teams, stadiums and players for use in its football videogames. Both agreements also include exclusive rights for console online features. Financial terms of the agreements were not disclosed.

For the first time, all aspects of the interactive experience -- including console-based fantasy football features and handheld game devices -- will be fully integrated with one EA game. This also provides the opportunity for new games and for EA to access both NFL Films and the NFL Network for use in the games.

"We are pleased to expand our agreement with Electronic Arts, the leading video game manufacturer and a valued NFL partner," said NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. "We look forward to working with EA to continue to enhance the quality of NFL video games that our fans have enjoyed for many years."

"For more than a decade, EA has produced the most authentic football product for fans of the game," said PLAYERS INC Chairman Gene Upshaw. "This exclusive relationship will maximize the value of NFL players through EA's continued commitment to bring fans closer to the game."

"We are excited about the opportunity to further enhance our relationship with the NFL and PLAYERS INC," said Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO of Electronic Arts. "The five-year agreements will usher NFL fans through the console technology transition with new ideas and innovative game play experiences."

Both agreements are exclusive for action simulation, arcade-style and manager games on the PC, handheld game devices and consoles -- including console online features. The agreements do not include exclusive rights to other types of games or games accessible from the Internet or wireless devices, including cellular phones.

Madden NFL Football from the EA SPORTS(TM) brand has sold more than 42 million copies over the franchise's 15 year history. Madden NFL 2005, the most complete football game ever, is available for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox® videogame system from Microsoft, Nintendo GameCube(TM), Game Boy® Advance, the PlayStation® console and PC. NFL STREET 2 for the PlayStation 2 console, Xbox system and Nintendo GameCube will be on store shelves by December 26, 2004. Both games were developed by EA Tiburon, and rated "E" (Everyone) by the ESRB. The games official websites are www.madden2005.com and www.nflstreet2.com.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Galian Beast said:
I'm angry because this hurts competition
This move is the result of competition...

Fennec Fox said:
I predict lawsuit.

Konami did the exact same thing with the Japanese baseball and soccer leagues a few years back. They eventually got sued by the baseball players' league and were forced to license out their rights cheaply to anyone who asked.
Interesting, but then that makes me wonder why the same wouldn't apply to movie licenses.

Top Bottom