• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ONE FOOTBALL FUTURE - BYE-BYE VISUAL CONCEPTS & ESPN FOOTBALL

PhatSaqs

Banned
sonycowboy said:
I don't give two shits about football (videogames), and I don't support or condemn this.

However, as I said before, Take-Two brought it down on themselves. They cost EA tens of millions of dollars of profits and the exclusive deal will end up providing EA with greater profit than the alternative.

I guarantee that EA wouldn't have done this if both titles were $49.99 as they would have gotten their 90% market share yet again and been happy.
Your business side argument has no place here sc. This thing hits consumers in the face with open cans of beer while pointing and laughing with an electric fence surrounding it....

PhatSaqs said:
Your business side argument has no place here sc. This thing hits consumers in the face with open cans of beer while pointing and laughing with an electric fence surrounding it....

I can't believe you left out the rest of my post. I love that song, plus I like the idea of what superman will do to you when you tug on his cape. :lol

sonycowboy said:
Don't tug on Superman's cape
Don't spit into the wind
Don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger
And you don't mess with EA Sports Madden.

DJPS2

Banned
SickBoy said:
If true, EA can eat it. I'll stick with ESPN 2K5 and Madden 2004 until a great generic game comes out or the market revolts.

I wouldn't plan on a market revolt. If anything, my instinct tells me that this potential price hike for Madden signals the beginning of a general retail price hike that's been hinted at for a while now. Casual gamers will still buy Madden 2006, whether it's $50 or $60. The same would have applied for GTA: San Andreas, had Take-Two gone in that direction.

All it will take is one domino to fall. If other publishers see that games really can sell at $60 (which they used to back in the cartridge days), you'll likely see $60 as the new norm for third-party game prices, with an increase to $50 for first-party releases.

Perhaps this will also be the domino that sets online pay-to-play in motion for the PS2, but that's still a bit of a stretch.

PhatSaqs

Banned
sonycowboy said:
I can't believe you left out the rest of my post. I love that song, plus I like the idea of what superman will do to you when you tug on his cape. :lol
I would have if it werent said by someone else yesterday [cue Batman late pic] :p

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Ramirez said:
I'm lovin it...

3/4's of the people in this thread have probably never played or watched football in their life,just gave them a chance to hate on EA.

Why do you people feel that ESPN was some kind of good competition?It was a 20 dollar PIECE OF SHIT.Worst football "sim" ever.I really doubt Tiburon just up and says "Fuck it,we don't have to try anymore!",please.

LONG LIVE EA :lol :lol :lol :lol

Wow. What an asshole.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
NFL2Kx will always be my favorite sports game no matter what the NFL or EA forces me to play.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You know when most of the EA fanboys view this as a bad sign, you're in the seriously fucking retarded minority if you think this is somehow potentially "good" for anyone other than EA's bank account (and there's not even any guarantee of that, considering the cost).

For the record I've been playing football games since Ten Yard Fight on the Nintendo, and before that on my Atari handheld with little fucking red dots for players. I loved Madden (and EA- NHL, NBA, shit even Mutant League, everything they touched turned to gold) back in the Genesis days, when it was something truly groundbreaking, when it wasn't the same old stale regurgitated shit every year and the only thing that made EA even try anything remotely new was the threat of any sort of competition. In case anyone still hasn't understood, competition is good for consumer, doesn't matter what game you're a fan of, that issue's totally irrelevant.

Ramirez

Thank you bob!It just pisses me off seein all these people cry when it wouldn't be that way if EA would have been the one that didn't get it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ramirez said:
Thank you bob!It just pisses me off seein all these people cry when it wouldn't be that way if EA would have been the one that didn't get it.

So what's your fucking point? That people are fanboys? Gee, thanks for the insight. That still doesn't change the fact that this is bad for people who play sports games because monopolies are bad for the consumer, if VC, or Microsoft or anyone bought exclusive rights it would still be bad, the fact that some people might feel more or less strongly or change positions doesn't change the basic fact, it's totally immaterial. So I'll add in your revelation to what we've learned since yesterday:

1. This is bad news for sports gamers.
2. Some people are fanboys.

How fucking old is Ramirez? He can't be older than 13.

SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY

I wonder if he'll be laughing when he unravels his $60 game and finds out it's the same POS that was pawned off to consumers in 2004.

I will... :lol :lol :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Ramirez said:

You're getting pissed off about something so petty, it's almost as bad as what EA just pulled. At the same time, EA will never be "the one that didn't get it".

Ramirez

I love you all!

Why do you all think they will hike the price up?Insert that crystal ball pic above on that one.What logical reason does Tiburon have to just release the same game every year now?If they do that and the quality drops,then people won't buy the game,so they're not going to quit improving the game,c'mon.

Carry on!And Incognito,why don't you just start up a Ramirez fan club,you've been on me ever since that OA Halo match :lol

Top Bottom