• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man Manga | OT | Just a Deus Ex Machina for Fun [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
f8pe1BQ.png

• Art by Yusuke Murata
    [*]Story by ONE

Like many others, I only recently discovered OPM in the past year or so. After devouring the sole season of the anime, I turned to the manga to satisfy my OPM lust. There is a webcomic as well which is great but, ya know, drawn like this

WqhpfU1.png

It's still very entertaining to read, especially once you get used to the art. I wanted to discuss the manga on gaf when, to my surprise, there's no OT for it! While the anime remains in limbo, the manga is still going strong with 69 chapters and counting currently collected in 12 volumes (9 volumes have been translated into English). There are several fan translations available online but the quality of the translation is iffy at best.

H7ouTKz.png
yONcz0y.png
x1hVSEh.jpg
BkFslTl.png
d3KSrRF.png
inDqja9.jpg
NPoGVqg.jpg
muNHApx.png
j2FDzRw.jpg
N0LCJzc.jpg
37BHO4o.jpg
hbaX9t5.png

CHARACTERS

ZYg5BeF.jpg

Saitama aka Caped Baldy
He's a hero for fun who obtained his incredible strength through the most grueling gauntlet of training imaginable! He's also the main character of the story.

n8JIJLu.jpg

Genos aka Demon Cyborg
Class S Rank 14
His village was massacred and his body destroyed by another mysterious cyborg. He was rebuilt as a tool for justice. In his quest to become strong enough to avenge the death of his loved ones, he has become Saitama's disciple.

zqLSp3s.jpg

Tatsumaki aka Tornado of Terror
Class S Rank 2
Tatsumaki looks like a child but she's actually older the most of the main cast! Despite her small stature, she is the greatest telekinetic on the planet and easily one of the strongest characters in OPM. She also has a huge inferiority complex so she's liable to toss aside anyone who gets in her way, hero or villain alike.

aRJlXtz.jpg

Bang aka Silver Fang
Class S Rank 3
The premiere martial artist of the Hero Association, Bang is the master of Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist. He routinely tries to recruit both Saitama and Genos to his dojo without much success.

xZPmPh7.jpg

Kamikaze aka Atomic Samurai
Class S Rank 4
The Hero Association's top fencer, there is no monster he can't cut down. He does not interact with Saitama too often but is usually around whenever disaster strikes.

D2hUbZ7.jpg

King
Class S Rank 7

The "Strongest Man in the World." Supposedly.

q4YWfFg.png

Metal Bat
Class S Rank 16

He's got a metal bat. He's got fighting spirit. He's gonna kick your ass!

i9jONIm.jpg

Fubuki aka Blizzard of Hell
Class B Rank 1
Tatsumaki's little younger sister, she's a powerful telekinetic in her own right but always seems to be living in her sister's shadow. She first crosses paths with Saitama when she tries to recruit him into her gang of B Class heroes.

ktLhQRX.jpg

Mumen Rider
Class C Rank 1

A scrub tier hero who just wants to do the right thing. Justice Crash!!

DxM4dj4.jpg

Sonic aka Speed O' Sound Sonic
He is Saitama's self proclaimed rival. He was once a master class assassin but now vows he cannot move on until he finally defeats Saitama.

8tJqdAv.jpg

Garou aka The Hero Hunter
The main villain of the current arc, Garou has a serious chip on his shoulder when it comes to heroes. He's the ex-disciple of Silver Fang and is on a quest to rid the world of heroes.
For those of you that were left high and dry with the anime and want more OPM, I highly recommend picking up the manga, It starts off as a faithful transposition of the webcomic (and subsequently the show) but eventually starts incorporating new side stories and plots. The manga is currently still on Garou as the primary antagonist. With that in mind,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PLEASE TAG WEBCOMIC SPOILERS<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Surprising to me there seems to be such low interest on this. The manga art has been pretty amazing and the manga itself has been pretty entertaining. Just endless escalation while Saitama is doing some random shit while he could easily beat everyone up and just end it lol.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think we actually had an OT on One Punch Man but perhaps that was just the original ONE version. Still like said before, I'm surprised there isn't more interest in the manga though I guess there isn't as much to discuss considering its not nearly as up its own ass like a lot of other similar manga might be.

Edit: I will also say that while the webcomic has some rougher artwork it is good where it needs to be. I'll put it this way. The final fight of the arc Murata's version is adapting right now (well sort of) could be adapted panel for panel, 1 to 1, from ONE's version and done in Murata's style and it would blow the Boros fight out of the water without even breaking a sweat.

It's understandably hard to sustain interest.

1. The webcomic is legitimately hard to read sometimes considering the chickenscratch artwork.
2. The redraw is on an extremely inconsistent schedule, and that's putting it diplomatically.

So having a thread to discuss the redraw is already going to be slow tempo. And a thread about the webcomic is going to suffer from not being nearly as attractive to mainstream readers.

guek

Banned
The final fight of the arc Murata's version is adapting right now (well sort of) could be adapted panel for panel, 1 to 1, from ONE's version and done in Murata's style and it would blow the Boros fight out of the water without even breaking a sweat.

I'm stoked for it but I think it's going to take Murata another year to get there at the current pace.

HStallion

I'm stoked for it but I think it's going to take Murata another year to get there at the current pace.

I'm thinking longer than that with all the content and characters Murata has added. Not only will he have to cover the story done originally in ONE's version but also deal with all the additional stuff he's got going on right now. I originally thought season 2 of the anime was going to cover the entire Monster Association/Garou arc but we aren't even going to get most of that in the anime. It will be covering the stuff with the S Class heroes and the tournament.

Wasn't it said that ONE is working to finish Mob Psycho so he can put all his efforts into OPM?

Seeing as we've gotten fairly consistent updates and progress on the story of Mob Psycho 100 for months now and we've gotten like one small chapter of One Punch Man in like... well a long time then yeah that certainly seems like a logical way to look at things.

kewlmyc

I could have swore we already had a manga OT, but i could be mistaken.

Anyway, having read the webcomic, I'm eagerly awaiting the Monster Association arc to reach the remake manga, but damn, the remake original buildup to that arc is dragging its feet. Last thing I remember actually enjoying was the Metal Bat vs Garou fight.

HStallion

I could have swore we already had a manga OT, but i could be mistaken.

Anyway, having read the webcomic, I'm eagerly awaiting the Monster Association arc to reach the remake manga, but damn, the remake original buildup to that arc is dragging its feet. Last thing I remember actually enjoying was the Metal Bat vs Garou fight.

I'm a bit mixed. It seems like Murata and ONE are really trying to build up a lot of the characters, events and focus on the shonen/manga tropes before heading into the Monster Association arc where a lot of those things are going to be turned on their head once more and get thrown through a couple loops. It does drag the pacing of the series down though as it does seem to get a bit bogged down in some of the very elements the earlier elements (and the later) lambaste and poke fun of so much. Hopefully it does make the impact of later events much more more felt as in the ONE webcomic it just dives into things without much of a breather and some characters just get thrown into prominent roles with little build up.

guek

Banned
Yeah, I think Murata just wants to build up the world, which is fine, but the tournament arc honestly sucks. It's a really lame way to take Saitama out of the action while monsters run amuck. Everything else around it has been pretty great though.

HStallion

Yeah, I think Murata just wants to build up the world, which is fine, but the tournament arc honestly sucks. It's a really lame way to take Saitama out of the action while monsters run amuck. Everything else around it has been pretty great though.

Well this is going into Webcomic spoilers but on the subject of Saitama's presence
He's barely around in the webcomic for this part as well and basically takes a backseat to the S Class heroes until the very end.

guek

Banned
Well this is going into Webcomic spoilers but on the subject of Saitama's presence
He's barely around in the webcomic for this part as well and basically takes a backseat to the S Class heroes until the very end.

True, but the webcomic also glosses over a lot of the hero hunting Garou does which is what's going on now. I really want to see how Garou vs. Watchdog Man turns out but Murata is trolling, the last two chapters haven't even mentioned it.

HStallion

True, but the webcomic also glosses over a lot of the hero hunting Garou does which is what's going on now. I really want to see how Garou vs. Watchdog Man turns out but Murata is trolling, the last two chapters haven't even mentioned it.

I'm fairly sure Watchdog Man is going to be the Squirrel Girl of the OPM universe. I'm fairly sure when we get back to him and Garou we will find Watchdog Man sitting on his pedestal with the same blank look on his face and Garou with his ass kicked. We won't see any of this of course because it will all happen off "screen".

guek

Banned
I'm fairly sure Watchdog Man is going to be the Squirrel Girl of the OPM universe. I'm fairly sure when we get back to him and Garou we will find Watchdog Man sitting on his pedestal with the same blank look on his face and Garou with his ass kicked. We won't see any of this of course because it will all happen off "screen".

I'm hoping Garou wakes up in an alley, bruised and smelling of piss, not remembering at all what happened.

Raxus

How does the manga compare to the anime for somebody who has no experience with either?

One is a solid writer so it is pretty great. However if you go into his manga you need to brace yourself for his art.

Murata's redrawn version was the basis for the anime with a few tangents on the way cut out. Depending on your views on pacing this may or may not bother you. Certain anime scenes were adapted panel for panel and man does the Murata's manga look pretty.

I highly recommend One's works if you can. Murata's OPM is also recommended but don't expect the best arc to be finished anytime soon if the current pacing is any indication.

HStallion

How does the manga compare to the anime for somebody who has no experience with either?

Its very close to the Murata redraw manga as that's what its based on with a few liberties taken here or there like some added or omitted scenes. Murata also has done a lot of side chapters focusing on specific heroes and some chapters of Saitama doing random things like getting arrested and then helping the police with a tough situation.

zeemumu

Saitama gets less involved as time goes on so there can actually be plot and stakes. It'd be crazy if they decided not to bring hi in at all considering where the plot is right now.

Love OPM, but man this current arc is slow as hell. I don't know if it's the actual pacing or Murata's update schedule, but it feels like it's been dragging since at least Metal Bat and Garou's fight.
Also wondering where the second season of the anime will stop. Super looking forward to seeing Genos vs Sonic animated.

guek

Banned
Love OPM, but man this current arc is slow as hell. I don't know if it's the actual pacing or Murata's update schedule, but it feels like it's been dragging since at least Metal Bat and Garou's fight.
Also wondering where the second season of the anime will stop. Super looking forward to seeing Genos vs Sonic animated.

I get the feeling he's waiting on the anime to move forward, that's why we're currently stuck in a filler tournament arc.. Murata and One both helped out a lot with the anime.

HStallion

If the second season is 12 episodes like the first we're most likely going to be stopping at the end of this current tournament arc. We will not be seeing the later Monster Association stuff till season 3.

Parshias7

I can't wait to see the end of the Garou arc in the Murata manga. Not for the fight, although I'm sure it'll be great, but for the
three full pages of Saitama picking his nose before he fucking ethers Garou into oblivion.

HStallion

Personally I'm looking forward to meeting
Black Sperm
and seeing the King engine in full force.

Edit: Also the reactions to a certain S Class heroes origin story are going to be hilarious.

zeemumu

I can't wait to see the end of the Garou arc in the Murata manga. Not for the fight, although I'm sure it'll be great, but for the
three full pages of Saitama picking his nose before he fucking ethers Garou into oblivion.

Didn't he
already knock Garou out cold some time ago because he was in the way or something?

Parshias7

Didn't he
already knock Garou out cold some time ago because he was in the way or something?

Yeah but this is after the final fight of the arc against Garou, where quite a few things happen with the Hero Hunter. The action is incredible and it is one of the funnier fights in the series because Saitama treats the Hero Association's life or death struggle with Garou like it is a noise complaint. And all the "Halloween costume" business.

HStallion

Didn't he

This is true but there are a ton of events involving just about everyone we have met so far that really escalate and take things to the next level. Some crazy shit will be going down once the tournament is over.

guek

Banned
Is anyone thinking the tournament fight will be better than garou and saitama?

Saitama has beaten every tournament challenger with one lazy punch so I don't see how unless Suiryu has something unique up his sleeve. I'd honestly rather seen Suiryu vs. Garou.

HStallion

Saitama has beaten every tournament challenger with one lazy punch so I don't see how unless Suiryu has something unique up his sleeve. I'd honestly rather seen Suiryu vs. Garou.

If anything the fight to look out for its the Dragon Level monster that obliterated Genos that is heading to the tournament. I'm guessing he will face off with a variety of the contestants and others before Saitama takes him out

theWB27

I was kinda hoping he had that " it" that saitama has. At least get him excited.

@HsTallion

I wonder if that'll break the final fight up before it begins.

guek

Banned
If anything the fight to look out for its the Dragon Level monster that obliterated Genos that is heading to the tournament. I'm guessing he will face off with a variety of the contestants and others before Saitama takes him out

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I also hope Awakened Cockroach comes back for a rematch with Genos.

zeemumu

This is true but there are a ton of events involving just about everyone we have met so far that really escalate and take things to the next level. Some crazy shit will be going down once the tournament is over.

I'll lose my shit if
Saitama throws a punch in the final and the other guy manages to actually block it.

Is Genos still presumably dead?

HStallion

I'll lose my shit if
Saitama throws a punch in the final and the other guy manages to actually block it.

Is Genos still presumably dead?

Nah Genos getting wrecked every arc is basically a running joke at this point. If anything the tournament arc they added was nice since it gave Genos some time to shine as he kicked all those monsters asses. Of course he still gets wrecked in the end but it was a nice change of pace while it lasted.

zeemumu

Nah Genos getting wrecked every arc is basically a running joke at this point. If anything the tournament arc they added was nice since it gave Genos some time to shine as he kicked all those monsters asses. Of course he still gets wrecked in the end but it was a nice change of pace while it lasted.

True. The other heroes are getting their chances to shine. Telekinesis seems to be the only thing that can rival Saitama at this point, at least in terms of power vs monsters.

HStallion

True. The other heroes are getting their chances to shine. Telekinesis seems to be the only thing that can rival Saitama at this point

He should be back once this arc is over. He's never taken out for the long term, usually just the immediate storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom