• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Open Water': Have you heard of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I was checking out a show on INHD that shows nothing but trailers and this movie came up. Looks like a heck of a movie about a couple stuck in the middle of the ocean with one scuba gear. It completely went under my radar.

Here is the site: http://www.openwatermovie.com/

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I'm wondering how desperate those actors were for work. I mean they actually threw meat in the water to lure sharks and other things near them.

I saw it on Friday night while down in Portland, OR. I thought it was a very well-made scary film, but a lot of people were complaining after it was over due to the lack of on-screen violence and gore.

If you like films that rely on suspense and a little imagination, go see it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I believe it has something to do with

SNAKES

Celicar

Banned
Open Water was expanded to more theaters on Friday and I finally got to see it. I actually enjoyed it, but the friends I was with hated it, and wouldn't shut the fuck up for the entire movie.

It was kind of slow and not much happened, but there were also many comedic parts. It wasn't as intense as I thought it would be, but there was one scene that was done so fuckin well, but I won't spoil it for anyone.

When the movie was over, a large portion of the people in the theater actually booed. I don't know what the hell these people came in expecting. Jaws? Morons. It's no Jaws, but it's a pretty good film.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Celicar said:
Open Water was expanded to more theaters on Friday and I finally got to see it. I actually enjoyed it, but the friends I was with hated it, and wouldn't shut the fuck up for the entire movie.

It was kind of slow and not much happened, but there were also many comedic parts. It wasn't as intense as I thought it would be, but there was one scene that was done so fuckin well, but I won't spoil it for anyone.

When the movie was over, a large portion of the people in the theater actually booed. I don't know what the hell these people came in expecting. Jaws? Morons. It's no Jaws, but it's a pretty good film.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like something I need to see during the week, without the weekend idiots in the theater. The premise is definitely something I am interested in.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I'm interested, but not that interested for a matinee ticket. It sounds like something I'd prefer to rent and watch alone in my home.

chimpychi

I saw it and thought it was okay..it is a bit slow, mostly talking with small bits of tension thrown in to keep you interested...

I like it and would recommend it to anyone who likes a nice decent scare without the constant need of stupid special effects.

DCX

DCX
distantmantra said:
I saw it on Friday night while down in Portland, OR. I thought it was a very well-made scary film, but a lot of people were complaining after it was over due to the lack of on-screen violence and gore.

If you like films that rely on suspense and a little imagination, go see it.
On screen gore?!?! It would have been a snuff film considering they didn't use CGI sharks they used real ones.

DCX

pnjtony

Actually in an interview the director said they lucked out with the sharks and they didn't have to throw in the meat. The jellyfish was impromtu as well.

Shazapp

MIMIC, you're from Cleveland? Cool. Me too.

Someone ruined the end for me on Friday. So, I'm going to see Garden State instead.

Boogie9IGN

MIMIC said:
My mom fucking ruined the end for me, and I wanted to see it. :(

My dad did the same thing, that bastard.

'Why do you care, it's not like we were going to see it'
'I was going to go next week or at least download it'
'...'

*SPOILORS*

Can someone please explain the ending to me? All you see is her taking off her air tank and going underwater. It didn't look like a shark got her.

edit: there's a SPOILER TAG. granted you probably would've typed /spoilor and it wouldn't have worked anyway - Mike

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Saw the movie today with my dad. It's a good movie, it's well made and realistic. But,
It's also incredibly depressing. It's a movie that is completely devoid of hope. The couple realistically goes through the stages -- not realizing the seriousness of their predicament at first, anger at each other and everyone else, panic, terror, and finally mind-numbing despair, to the point of just giving up rather than hoping against hope for rescue (or facing the sharks). It's a tragedy, through and through. So don't go if you want to have a good time afterwards.

MIMIC

Banned
Boogie9IGN said:
My dad did the same thing, that bastard.

'Why do you care, it's not like we were going to see it'
'I was going to go next week or at least download it'
'...'

LOL...after she came back from seeing it, she told me how she didn't like it and went on about how all they did was "stay in the water," then ended her critical analysis by exclaiming, "...
and then they both died at the end
."

I was like, "OH MY GOD! You just ruined the end for me *you god damn bitch!"

(*What I said in my head :p)

Then she said the exact same thing your father said--that it wasn't like I was going to see it--even after she already knew that I wanted to see it the next day.

**Then I slapped her

(**What I did in my head :p)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The missus and I just got back in from seeing it. Now as a habit I don't go to the movies to see depressing things... I can see that in real life on the news...
There was some good tension, but we were really disappointed that the guy died, the girl let him GO..wtf... and then she just gave up and went under the water... wow...

Interesting movie for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom