• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operencia (2019, Steam, other platforms in the future)

Humdinger

Posting this on behalf of Al3x1s, who's a new member so can't post threads yet. Here's what he said:

"I wanted to post something about Zen Studios upcoming dungeon crawler Operencia. It looks really good. It's kind of like Legend of Grimrock or rather old school Wizardry since it's fully turn based rather than real time. If you care to maybe do that feel free to, here's what I know:

https://operenciarpg.com

http://www.twitter.com/OperenciaRPG
http://www.facebook.com/OperenciaRPG
http://www.instagram.com/OperenciaRPG
https://www.reddit.com/r/operenciarpg

Operencia_logo_effect_b.png

Zen Studios’ modern homage to classic first-person dungeon-crawlers takes you to the land of Operencia, an unconventional fantasy world inspired by a faraway land referenced in countless Central European folktales. An old-school turn-based battle system combines with inspiration from unexplored mythology to offer an RPG experience that feels unique yet also familiar.

An unknown force has abducted the Sun King Napkiraly, leaving Operencia in a state of perpetual darkness – and eventual doom. From hidden royal tombs and cursed castles to an ascent up the World Tree to reach the Copper Forest of the Land of the Gods, explore diverse settings throughout the far reaches of the land…and beyond. Each location boasts its own unique atmosphere, visual style, level design and puzzles, and many take place entirely outdoors.

Lake_of_Anna_cutscene_wide.gif

Operencia is home to an intriguing mix of unexplored mythology and fantastical versions of actual historical locations (e.g., Deva Fortress, Balvanyos) and characters (e.g., Attila, Seven Chieftains of the Magyars), all coming together to form one cohesive new gaming universe. Several of your own seven party members take influence from heroes of forgotten tales told hundreds of years ago, such as the brave knight Mezey and Sebastian the Dragon Slayer.

Operencia_Anna_wide.gif

Along with a deeply strategic turn-based battle system full of spells and special skills to execute, tile-based movement encourages thorough exploration of each area. For added challenge, turn on Cartographer mode to plot out each of the 13 maps yourself. How many secrets will you find?

Combat_gif_wide.gif

Breathtaking hand-drawn cutscenes and fabulous 2D character portraits bring the story to life in a style not easily compared to any other game. More than 30 colorful roles are fully voiced through top-tier performances authentic to the game’s Central European roots.

Operencia_exploration.gif

• Explore 13 diverse, puzzle-filled levels
  • Defeat more than 50 enemy types
  • Switch between 7 fully upgradable – and memorable – characters
  • Robust difficulty settings allow you to select options such as limiting saves, implementing permadeath, and disabling auto-mapping to create your own
  • Stunning visuals powered by Unreal Engine 4
  • An epic orchestral score composed by Arthur Grosz
  • Fully 3D environments, enemies and objects, plus high-fidelity advanced effects with dynamic shadows and lighting
  • AAA Indie production quality and polish with top-tier voice acting, soundtrack, cutscenes and writing

I prefer turn based myself for such games with tile based movement so I couldn't really get into Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2, something like Might & Magic X was more to my liking but that wasn't exactly the best of the genre unlike oldies like say, Wizardry 8. Anyway, this looks really promising, info other than the main store page here, there's a sign up for a closed beta too:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/985950/announcements/detail/1723087600585716595

Welcome to the land of Operencia: The Stolen Sun & Sign up for Closed BetaWe are happy to finally show you the single-largest production of our 15-year history! Operencia: The Stolen Sun is a role-playing game that breathes new life into the classic first-person dungeon-crawler genre while also unifying Central European folklore and legends – most of which have never been depicted in video games – into one cohesive universe. It will be available in 2019 on Steam, with other platforms to be announced in the future.

Sign up for our Closed Beta and experience the game first hand! We will select players to playtest a portion of the game and help us make it better with their feedback and suggestions. We’d love to hear your opinion, so sign up here: https://operenciarpg.com/operencia-closed-beta-sign-up-form/
Or visit OperenciaRPG.com.

The land of Operencia is an unconventional fantasy world where history meets legend – a faraway land referenced in countless Central European folktales told for hundreds of years. For the first time ever, these stories – and many others spanning the region – all occur in the context of one single universe. Adding further depth, real-life historical figures populate the game, if in a more legendary form, such as King Attila, as well as the Seven Chieftains of the Magyars. You’ll be able to explore locations from well-known fairytale settings (e.g., castles, tombs and forests) and fantastical versions of storied landmarks anyone can physically visit today, such as the fortresses of Deva and Bálványos.

8697462b0267c505c6870db009c4e6d2d99034f2.jpg

We have gone to great lengths to ensure that everything in Operencia: The Stolen Sun feels familiar to RPG players, yet still modern and novel. Through a classic tile-based movement system, you’ll explore the far reaches of the land, engaging in strategic turn-based battles at every turn. The entire quest to free the abducted Sun King of Hungarian mythology, Napkirály – thereby saving Operencia from endless days of night – comes rife with malevolent monsters, devious traps and mind-bending puzzles. Perhaps even a three-headed dragon…

7cb17c1861e0dd927e712f49e5cc2c8f8d54dd75.jpg

A team of avid role-playing gamers within Zen wanted to create a modernized dungeon crawler with Unreal 4 graphics and an immersive story based on content rarely seen in video games – including stories and characters they grew up with living here in Hungary that most people in other parts of the world have yet to hear…at least not yet. Operencia is almost done now, and we can’t wait for everyone to start adventuring.

God Enel

I’m not into these types of games but the trailer looked awesome.
I even think I have legend of Grimrock on steam but never really played it. Maybe I should invest some time.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If it lands in Spring or Summer cool.

If it lands in January, February, or March, it may get lost in the shuffle.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah just saw this last night and it looks great. I'm also happy it's not real-time combat with tile based movement as I could never get into those, especially with a full party. Turn based for life! This is Zen Studios most ambitious game, I hope it does well and becomes a series. A sequel could expand to a full RPG, Grimrock 2 certainly increased the scale 10fold, Operencia 2 could become like Wizardry 8!

Edit: thanks for posting it!

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Alexios Alexios thanks for highlighting this game. Loving that people are highlighting some PC games a lot more often these days. I do prefer real time as opposed to turn based but I'm open to having my mind changed. This deffo look like worth acclimatising for

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some great screens on the pages too but yeah, the trailer shows most of it too. But it's also cool to see it's not confined to standard underground dungeons even if the levels never actually open up.
ss_565c98d242a69de5af6a7326b14bacd193042e90.jpg
ss_b3ad87bfe9e97194e4e247c8f8f357581bf96b9f.jpg
ss_e1ff7136ca1846b3039a524e7f55ee78b85dca2d.jpg
ss_0b21a16bfd4adfdf6c763e489c980ac6de8fed74.jpg

And the character artworks for portraits, inventories, dialogue scenes and what not looks pretty pretty nice too!
char_01.jpg

I couldn't find a full size pic of the woman with the afro, she looks great in the portrait though!
ss_e7d68398fcca616ca66f48d1a468d9d9fdee255b.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom